PC Peripherals PC build Recommendations

Alias

Skilled
I was planning on setting up a new gaming PC and reusing some parts from my old PC which was dismantled couple of months back.

The build i was eyeing is:

Processor - Core i5 750
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2
Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) 2DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH

I already have the following parts from my old system

Graphic Card - XFX GTX 260 216 SP
Hard Disk - 2x 1 Terabyte WD HDDs
Opt drive - LG Blu-ray Drive
Monitor - 20" Acer 1680X1050 LCD
Kb/Mouse - Logitech G15/G5 Mouse
Considering my build , please recommend a Cabinet, PSU & SMPS. Any suggestions welcome on improving the built by changing buying components.
I was looking at the Corsair VX450. Also any CPU heatsink/cooler recommendations?

Thanks in advance. :)

PSU Recommendations------

Corsair VX450 if you'll not be adding any GPU Later for SLI.

Corsair HX620/TX650 if you'll be adding GPU's HDD's & Rams Later on.

Case Recommendation------Depends on Your Budget.

Antec 300 for 3.8k

CoolerMaster 690 for 4.5k

NZXT Tempest for 6k approx.

Antec 900 for 7k approx.

CoolerMaster HAF932 for 9.5k approx.

CPU Cooler Recommendations------Again Depends on your Budget

Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer for 2.7k

ThermalRight True 120 Extreme for 2.8k +0.5k for 1 fan.

ThermalRight True Black Limited Edition for 3.5k+1k for 2 fans in Push/Pull Config.

Prolimatech Megahalems for 3.8k+1k for 2 fans in Push/Pull Config.

naveen58 said:
PSU Recommendations------
Corsair VX450 if you'll not be adding any GPU Later for SLI.
Corsair HX620/TX650 if you'll be adding GPU's HDD's & Rams Later on.

Case Recommendation------Depends on Your Budget.
Antec 300 for 3.8k
CoolerMaster 690 for 4.5k
NZXT Tempest for 6k approx.
Antec 900 for 7k approx.
CoolerMaster HAF932 for 9.5k approx.

CPU Cooler Recommendations------Again Depends on your Budget
ThermalRight True Black Limited Edition for 3.5k+1k for 2 fans in Push/Pull Config.

Thanks Naveen for your reply.

Well, no SLI but maybe a little overclocking. In that case, would the VX450 still suffice?

The Coolermaster 690 seems good but is it the same price for the glass version?

Do those CPU coolers you recommended work for the LGA 1156 ?

Alias said:
I was planning on setting up a new gaming PC and reusing some parts from my old PC which was dismantled couple of months back.

The build i was eyeing is:

Processor - Core i5 750

Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2

Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) 2DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH

I already have the following parts from my old system

Graphic Card - XFX GTX 260 216 SP

Hard Disk - 2x 1 Terabyte WD HDDs

Opt drive - LG Blu-ray Drive

Monitor - 20" Acer 1680X1050 LCD

Kb/Mouse - Logitech G15/G5 Mouse

Considering my build , please recommend a Cabinet, PSU & SMPS. Any suggestions welcome on improving the built by changing buying components.

I was looking at the Corsair VX450. Also any CPU heatsink/cooler recommendations?

Thanks in advance. :)

Pretty decent build there! :)

What budget have you considered for the PSU, enclosure and the heatsink? You should consider something better than the VX450 although the VX should be able to handle all the load since a higher rated PSU works at its efficient best when loaded to 50% of its total peak output.

Some recommendations with this regard - HX620, TX750, Antec EA650 etc. to name a few.

naveen58 said:

None of these coolers will work for the LGA1156 socket! The Megahalems Rev. B would however but I doubt the availability of it here.

I dont recommend the GTX 260. I think at your price range, maybe 1-2k more, get a crossfire mobo, and pump it with 2 ATI 4770s. The 4770s have godlike crossfire performance and scaling, at the same price of one GTX 260. You almost get a 40% performance gain.

Even better, if you're willing to invest more, go for the 5850. Great card!!! DX11 support and easily eats upthe nVidia line up.

None of these coolers will work for the LGA1156 socket! The Megahalems Rev. B would however but I doubt the availability of it here.

If i am not wrong, LGA 1156 uses the same HSF hole placements as the LGA 775 just to facilitate use of previous gen Coolers. If i am right , then he can use any of those coolers.

Gannu said:
Pretty decent build there! :)

What budget have you considered for the PSU, enclosure and the heatsink? You should consider something better than the VX450 although the VX should be able to handle all the load since a higher rated PSU works at its efficient best when loaded to 50% of its total peak output.

Some recommendations with this regard - HX620, TX750, Antec EA650 etc. to name a few.

Hmm, i had thought of a 10k budget on the enclosure + PSU. Considering that budget VX450 fits neatly but HX620? Wats the price on that? Besides, isnt that the modular one from Corsair?

Haah, that is what i thought on those coolers too; that they wont work on the LGA1156 socket. Bummer!

sa_ill said:
I dont recommend the GTX 260. I think at your price range, maybe 1-2k more, get a crossfire mobo, and pump it with 2 ATI 4770s. The 4770s have godlike crossfire performance and scaling, at the same price of one GTX 260. You almost get a 40% performance gain.

Even better, if you're willing to invest more, go for the 5850. Great card!!! DX11 support and easily eats upthe nVidia line up.

Well, like wingmysoul mentioned, i already have the graphics card which was bought 6 months back so no changes there. Maybe i can upgrade later but at the moment a GTX 260 is more than enough for my gaming needs. :)

@Phoenix: Nope, they are different although some boards do feature the LGA775 mount holes to facilitate the usage of the same cooler without investing in a different mounting kit; like this one:

167714adec1f416778.jpg

Btw here're the dimensions w.r.t. the spacing of the holes:

Socket 775: 72mm x 72mm

Socket 1156: 75mm x 75mm

Socket 1366: 80mm x 80mm

@Alias: Enclosure: Left to you! I've some recommendations - Lian Li LanCool series, Antec 300 etc. Phoenix's importing some LanCool series' enclosures - do give a thought to it.

HX620 is indeed modular but the *newer* lots do not boast of the same features compared to the ones that retailed before - such as gold-plated connectors for the modular cables, problems with fan-not-spinning-faster-during-high loads etc to mention a few as I was told by a birdie!

Gannu said:
@Alias: Enclosure: Left to you! I've some recommendations - Lian Li LanCool series, Antec 300 etc. Phoenix's importing some LanCool series' enclosures - do give a thought to it.

HX620 is indeed modular but the *newer* lots do not boast of the same features compared to the ones that retailed before - such as gold-plated connectors for the modular cables, problems with fan-not-spinning-faster-during-high loads etc to mention a few as I was told by a birdie!

Lian Li LanCool? Hehe.. I thot the budget i mentioned was 10k for PSU + enclosure? Correct me if i am wrong, but arent those Lian Li Cases starting at 10K?? :ashamed:

Alias said:
Hmm, i had thought of a 10k budget on the enclosure + PSU. Considering that budget VX450 fits neatly but HX620? Wats the price on that? Besides, isnt that the modular one from Corsair?

Yes HX620 is the modular one from corsair. if you want a little more juice than VX450, then you can try the VX550 (non-modular). its priced quite less than HX620.

Gannu said:
I thought both were the same?! :p

Err, my bad! I was meaning PSU & UPS.. Hehe! :ashamed:
jahire2 said:
May b u should consider the Glacial Power 650w also. Not fancy with cable sleeving & looks dept. But 504W @ 2x12V rails. Its only ~500 rs more than vx450. Here's the review if needed GlacialPower GP-AL650AA 650 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

Hmm, will take a look at that. Thanks for the recommendation.

Know where its available to buy like online?

Yeah, the GTX 260 will be already outdated when you buy it as ATI has come up with the 5000 series of DX11 cards and nV is about to come up with theirs in a few months. After spending a premium for this high-end card, it will be depressing to know that it is already outdated if not in a few months after buying. So, ATI is your best option. The 5850 is a much better option with ATI Stream support, DX11 compatibility and runs with a fast GDDR5 memory. It is also low power consuming owing to the new architecture and hence generates a lot less heat than the nV cards or the previous generation cards of the same caliber.

Yeah, the GTX 260 will be already outdated when you buy it as ATI has come up with the 5000 series of DX11 cards and nV is about to come up with theirs in a few months. After spending a premium for this high-end card, it will be depressing to know that it is already outdated if not in a few months after buying. So, ATI is your best option. The 5850 is a much better option with ATI Stream support, DX11 compatibility and runs with a fast GDDR5 memory. It is also low power consuming owing to the new architecture and hence generates a lot less heat than the nV cards or the previous generation cards of the same caliber.

Back