Budget 90k+ PC buying help for Productivity/Work

sreeram180

Disciple
Hey
I am planning to upgrade my workstation to an ITX desktop and currently using a Razer laptop.

I am looking for suggestions for pc build

My Usage:
  • Programming.
  • Gaming, when gpu prices come down
Setup config
  • Intel i9 12900k
  • Asus Z690 mini ITX DDR5
  • Adata ddr5 16 GB
  • Cooler master N200p or NZXT h220i
  • 650 watt cooler master
  • 240mm AIO
  • Samsung 980 pro 500GB
Down the line, will add gpu and more ram.

• Can I go with 12th gen or wait for AMD next zen?
  • DDR5 is worth it? I don’t want to upgrade the motherboard for 3 years
  • Is the above setup relevant for the next 3 years?
  • Does 650watt PSU is enough to run the setup without GPU?
  • Need suggestion for cabinet, PSU, and AIO from my other brands

Does the use case include a significant amount of compiling also, as that is the processor / RAM intensive process and not simply writing code.
If a huge amount of compiling is not a part, and you're going to contribute code to some central compiling resource, then it may be possible to go ahead with a better VFM processor like the 12700K or something.

Answering your questions:
1. If you need it now, and not having a machine is hampering your work, go buy the product that suits your requirements well. Be it 12th Gen intel or Ryzen 5000 series, both are very competitive products.
2. Going for DDR5 right now may not have much positive impact on the performance, but would jack up cost like crazy! DDR4 is not going obsolete or extinct tomorrow, and can be bought & used for a good while to come.
3. A top end or near top end current gen CPU based system should serve you well for a good while to come. Just make sure not to bottleneck it with bad DRAM-less SSD or poor ventilation / cooling in the case.
4. Without GPU (integrated 12900k usage), 650W is plenty.
5. I think you may look at Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Mini too, sure has a larger footprint but is WAY more flexible for cooling and hardware that you can fit into it.

Hey
I am planning to upgrade my workstation to an ITX desktop and currently using a Razer laptop.

I am looking for suggestions for pc build

My Usage:
  • Programming.
  • Gaming, when gpu prices come down
Setup config
  • Intel i9 12900k
  • Asus Z690 mini ITX DDR5
  • Adata ddr5 16 GB
  • Cooler master N200p or NZXT h220i
  • 650 watt cooler master
  • 240mm AIO
  • Samsung 980 pro 500GB
Down the line, will add gpu and more ram.

• Can I go with 12th gen or wait for AMD next zen?
  • DDR5 is worth it? I don’t want to upgrade the motherboard for 3 years
  • Is the above setup relevant for the next 3 years?
  • Does 650watt PSU is enough to run the setup without GPU?
  • Need suggestion for cabinet, PSU, and AIO from my other brands
I'm mostly in the same boat as you, and here's my pick:
CPU - core i7 12700K
Mboard - ASUS TUF Z690
RAM - 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
PSU - Corsair 650W Gold (850W or 1000W when you get a GPU)
Cooler: Corsair H100i Capellex
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
SSD: WD Black 750 1TB

Does the use case include a significant amount of compiling also, as that is the processor / RAM intensive process and not simply writing code.
If a huge amount of compiling is not a part, and you're going to contribute code to some central compiling resource, then it may be possible to go ahead with a better VFM processor like the 12700K or something.

Answering your questions:
1. If you need it now, and not having a machine is hampering your work, go buy the product that suits your requirements well. Be it 12th Gen intel or Ryzen 5000 series, both are very competitive products.
2. Going for DDR5 right now may not have much positive impact on the performance, but would jack up cost like crazy! DDR4 is not going obsolete or extinct tomorrow, and can be bought & used for a good while to come.
3. A top end or near top end current gen CPU based system should serve you well for a good while to come. Just make sure not to bottleneck it with bad DRAM-less SSD or poor ventilation / cooling in the case.
4. Without GPU (integrated 12900k usage), 650W is plenty.
5. I think you may look at Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Mini too, sure has a larger footprint but is WAY more flexible for cooling and hardware that you can fit into it.
I work with c# and dot net. My working IDE are visual studio and vs code. I think visual studio is CPU/RAM hungry, my current setup i7 7th gen and 16gb Ram is unable to handle multiple projects.

DDR5 rams are costly but I have read In Reddit that ddr5 slot doesn't support ddr4 sticks and I am going for DDR5 board and not planning to upgrade the board for next 3 years.

Is ADATA rams are any good? I am not going to do any sort Ram overclock.

Thank you for suggestion with case, will find about more

DDR5 rams are costly but I have read In Reddit that ddr5 slot doesn't support ddr4 sticks and I am going for DDR5 board and not planning to upgrade the board for next 3 years.
You can look into a good DDR4 Board. I think all vendors have DDR4 and DDR5 variants of most of their boards. It might be a better value right now.

I would personally not hop on the DDR5 train just yet. There just isn't that much benefit (or current realised benefit that the next generation gives).

In case:

You will be fine for the next 3 years with DDR4. It'll take time for DDR5 memory modules as well as controllers to be at their peak like DDR4 is right now.

Go for a M-ATX case rather than a ITX case. You could check out the Deepcool Matrexx 40 which is a cheap option (2.5k I think). It supports 360mm radiators in the front and Good Air coolers (165mm Clearance). You also have no issue in upgrading to 3 fan GPU's in the future (for example my brother has a MSI 3060TI Gaming X TRIO fitted perfectly with 3 Intake fans in the front).

You could check out the NR200 ITX case by Cooler Master which is Modular AF and you can install ATX PSU with extra bracket (which you can 3D print or enquire about it from Cooler Master Directly). It also has space for 240mm AIO as well decent Air Coolers (155mm clearance). Its more compact than the Matrexx 40 and has decent cooling options as well. 2 fan GPU can be added with ATX psu in the future)

Back