ex-Mod
Hi,
My rig consists of
Xeon E3 1245 v3 (4770 equivalent)
R9 290 Tri-X OC
GIGABYTE H87M-D3H Mobo
CM Seidon 120M AIO Liquid Cooler
CM K350 case

My temperatures right now are just OK with 70C on CPU and 80C on GPU max (+-2) at extreme gaming. But to achieve this I needed to unscrew the transparent side panel and screw in some fans there.
The rad is attached to the rear and is exhausting air out from the case. One side fan is exhausting the hot air from the GPU while one side fan is giving in cool air to the GPU. There is a case fan on the front that is pulling some cool air into the case. I'll attach some pics to make it simpler to understand.
The main problem is the GPU depositing hot air into the case and because the motherboard is tiny, the gpu is very close to the CPU cooler hence the hot air goes through the rad. If I cool the rad with outside air, more hot goes into the case and GPU temp rises which is almost like a catch 22.
My aim to is lower these temps to more respectable temps. I want to explore various options like a custom case built from scratch - I have few ideas for cases which solve some of the problems I'm facing. Can someone suggest any better solution to this before I attempt something drastic? Thanks :)
IMG_20140813_130521 by pixelpardise, on Flickr

IMG_20140813_130557 by pixelpardise, on Flickr

IMG_20140813_130438 by pixelpardise, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_20140813_130438.jpg
    IMG_20140813_130438.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Where is the cable management man? I dont see any cable management. How do you expect to cool your system if wires are hanging everywhere like that all around your cabinet.

@bssunil Thanks for replying. Ignore the bottom part below the GPU because those wires are not usually left like that. Coming to the top half above the GPU, that was the best I could do as the case is pretty limited on options for cable management. If you can see in those pics, I pushed in all the cables from the PSU into the hole at the bottom and pulled only the required wires from the hole at the top(which is the only hole) and tucked in the remaining wires behind the motherboard support. The position of the power ports of various components led me to get those wires out. I dont know how I can make this better in the top half.... Everything is extremely cramped inside. :(

One side fan is exhausting the hot air from the GPU while one side fan is giving in cool air to the GPU.
Try having both side fans in push-push configuration. I don't have any evidences to prove, but placing fans side by side where in one fan pushes air while other fan pulls air, just doesn't sounds right.
Front and side fans will push air, while rear and top will be used for exhaust, thus making airflow more streamlined.

Try having both side fans in push-push configuration. I don't have any evidences to prove, but placing fans side by side where in one fan pushes air while other fan pulls air, just doesn't sounds right.
Front and side fans will push air, while rear and top will be used for exhaust, thus making airflow more streamlined.
Yes, normally that's how it is, but in this case, the case it virtually divided into two pockets by the GPU... The top pocket where all the hot air is accumulating and the bottom pocket which is cool, so the top fan is exhausting and the bottom fan in giving in air. I tried the default config of one inlet side fan and front and bottom inlet and rear exhaust... Isn't cutting it :(

Last edited:
Back