Budget 41-50k PC CPU for Gaming and Programming

cyberjack

Disciple
Hello Guys,

Firstly thanks to members over here for a great forum which helped me in couple of things before for EVDO internet and gaming related stuff.

I have been using my laptop(Dell XPS m1530) with external monitor for all my needs until now, but started to feel its not powerful enough for current needs, and processor is not compatible with latest emulators.

Researched online and came up with the below configuration, one reason for going with Intel is to use this build also as a Hackintosh. Apart from RAM i don't plan to upgrade anything else in next 3 years, so need your suggestions whether build sounds good.

1. What is your budget?
    • 50K (Without Monitor, Keyboard)
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • Dell U2414H monitor
    • 120 GB SSD and 500GB harddrive
      1. 2.1 Speakers
      2. Wireless keyboard and mouse
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Dell U2414H monitor
    • Above harddisks
    • 2.1 Speakers
    • Wireless keyboard and mouse
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

• Corsair VS650 650 Watt PSU - Snapdeal - 4110
      Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H Motherboard - IT depot - 8280
      Corsair Vengeance - 8GB DDR3 RAM - AMazon - 5610
      Intel Core i5-4690 - Amazon - 15900
      Cooler Master K380 - Snapdeal - 3484
      MSI TWIN FROZR GeForce GTX 750Ti - Flipkart - 11950

• Need suggestions for above components whether i am overspending on any, any suggestions on how to make this build better are welcome.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Planning to upgrade RAM alone.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Hyderabad local stores or Amazon/ Flipkart
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Programming(Visual Studio, Android Studio)
    • Watching HD movies
    • Gaming
    • Photoshop, Lightroom
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No specific brand.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • FPS and some Racing
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1080p
    2. Desktop - 1080p
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Using Windows 8.1 and OSX (if i am able to :) )

Seasonic s12ii 520 PSU - Snapdeal - 5k
Gigabyte b85m d3h Motherboard 5k
Corsair Vengeance - 8GB DDR3 RAM 5.5k
Intel Core i5-4690k 15k
corsair 300r 4.5k
MSI r9 270x 15k

1.later upgrade the motherboard to a z97 mobo. no point paying extra for h97.
2.and a good case is always an investment, better upgrade options will be open to you.
3. if you are paying almost 12k on 750ti just pay a bit more get the 270x, much better performance. you saved money on the b85 mobo, use that.

Seasonic s12ii 520 PSU - Snapdeal - 5k
Gigabyte b85m d3h Motherboard 5k
Corsair Vengeance - 8GB DDR3 RAM 5.5k
Intel Core i5-4690k 15k
corsair 300r 4.5k
MSI r9 270x 15k

1.later upgrade the motherboard to a z97 mobo. no point paying extra for h97.
2.and a good case is always an investment, better upgrade options will be open to you.
3. if you are paying almost 12k on 750ti just pay a bit more get the 270x, much better performance. you saved money on the b85 mobo, use that.

Thanks for the comment. I am not much comfortable with overclocking thats why went with non-k version. I checked with local dealer yesterday h97 is at 7.2k, over the B85 it has more slots / ports and latest chipset so it looks better to me, do you think 2k more is not worth ?.

Agree on the graphic card, but instead of 270x i am planning to get GTX 760, its at 17k and is compatable with hackintosh :)

Regarding case and SMPS, i dint find much difference between k380 and 300r, can you please point if there any advantages with 300r ? on the power supply is VS650 not a good option ? if i go with seasonic, 520W will be enough ? i will be having 2 SSDs, 1 HHD and 1 DVD drive along with the above config.

1. see, about the motherboard this is the comparison list http://www.gigabyte.in/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=2&pids=4567,5258

only advantages the h97 has over b85 are 2 extra usb3 ports and 2 extra sata3 ... now tell me when do you really need that many usb3 ports, 6 to be precise? and 6 ssds for 6 sata3? because for hdd sata2 and sata3 you wont notice that much difference in speed. and yes the chipset, again in real life scenario can you tell the difference other than just for the heck of saying i have h97 board its cool.

now if you go with b85 you save 2-2.5k. you can buy cooler master hyper 212 cpu cooler with that saved money. its one of the best cpu cooler in that budget. now the cpu cooler ensures that your expensive precious cpu stay cool enough plus the 212 gives enough headroom for overclocking(if you do in future, someday). thats way more practical and has better scope of upgrades according to me. but thats just my opinion.

now if you do upgrade to the z97 motherboard ( asus z97 a) its one of the best z97 motherboard in budget. advantages 1. full atx 2. better heatsink and vrm design 4. both crossfile and SLI certified 5. optical out 6. better audio 7. asus' unbeatable award winning uefi bios 8. fully overclockable 9. asus' reliability 10. m2 exprs 11. more ports and slots

this is my exact thought process when i bought mine just a few days back. the difference between 4690 and 4690k is about 500rs. where i can take the 4690k uoto 4.5 - 4.7 GHz just by tweaking a few settings in the bios(even though i've never overclocked in my life, neither i am comfortable with it.) you are pretty much settled to 3.5GHz only with the 4690 no matter what. so why not pay the extra 500rs so that i atleast have the option open to me to have a cpu running at 4.5GHz? so i thought of going with the 4690k and started learning how to overclock. pretty easy.

just like you i thought of going with the h97, but then since i've already decided upon the 4690k and i dont have the money to buy a z97 at the moment why pay 7k on h97 when i just have to chuck it out at some point of time, bought the b85 instead and invested the money on a cpu cooler(hyper 212).

Then again if you have no plans of overclocking EVER go with the 4460 or 4590 and take the h97.

2. gtx 760 is a fine choice but again the performance gap between 270x and 760 is not that much. upto you. both of them are great actually. try asus, gigabyte or msi.

3. personally i think corsair maintains much better quality than cooler master cases, with a few exceptions of course. design and internal layout of the 300r is better. supports upto 8 fans. k380 supports upto 4. again personally i like how 300r looks, more mature, sleek and simple.
NB: best if you can get your hands on the 400r. it should be a blind choice if you can stretch your budget a little.

4. take my word, go with seasonic and thank me later. it's one of the best. 520w is enough as long as you are on single gpu but of course you can go with the s12ii 620 as well just to be on the safe side. 1k extra.

Firstly, Thanks for taking your time and putting your thoughts.

I had one bad experience with overclocking couple of years back in college where motherboard and cpu got burned when overclocked, thats why i am aversive to overclocking. Also, as per the local deal the difference between non-k and k version was somewhere around 1.5k not 500 as you mentioned, if price difference is that low i will go with 4690k and z97 itself. will check on this.

Finally, any idea about UPS ? planning to get APC 600 one , i dont need long backup just enough time to shutdown.

Back