PC for home usage; 18-20K

Decius

Adept
Q: What is your budget?

18-20K
Q: What is your existing hardware configuration

NA

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

I have purchased the following recently

Monitor - Benq G2220HD
RAM - Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 (CMX4GX3M2A1600​C9)
Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - AMD

Motherboard - any compatible motherboard

HDD

ODD

PSU - Seasonic/Corsair/FSP

Cabinet - CoolerMaster?

KB+Mouse

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

I might just add up SSD and 1 more HDD.
Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Delhi

Open to online purchase
Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

No
Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Browsing
Desktop Processing
MS Office usage
Watching HD movies

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

In PSU I am inclined towards Seasonic but availability might be an issue so please also suggest alternatives.
Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

No gaming at all
Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Desktop - 1440x900
Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Yes

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows XP 32bit
2. Windows 7 64 bit
3. Linux - Ubuntu
Please suggest me a rig based on my above requirements. Please suggest me mobo which would be able to use the RAM kit i have got at the claimed frequency without glitch. I intend to make the system multiboot, running all the 3 OS listed above. I hope it is feasible :huh:

TIA

Components Name Price

Processor AMD Athlon II x4 640/AMD Athlon II X3 440 4700/3200

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H 4300

HDD Seagate 1TB 7200.12 2800

Cabinet CM Elite 310/NZXT GAMMA 1500/2000

PSU Seasonic S12II 430w/Corsair CX400W 2600/2400

Key Board/Mouse Logitech SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 700

ODD LG 22X SATA DVD 900

Total 18-20K

• GA-880GMA-UD2H has SATA3 6gbps, USB 3.0 and good integrated graphic.
  • Note that its 880GMA and not just 880GM.
  • The configuration should go well with your Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 RAM Kit and is above par to suffice your needs and will run smoothly in multiboot.
  • Go for AMD X3 440 & Corsair CX400W if you "strictly" don't intend to use it as gaming PC.

price revision:

Processor AMD Athlon II x4 640 4700

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H 4300

fo psu i recommend

SeaSonic S12II 430W SMPS - 2600/-

or corsair cx 400 2650

^^

Actually that particular model is hard to get, GIGABYTE are having some problems keeping up with DEMAND.

Thanks for the replies :)

I have couple of more queries

Would AMD X3 440 suffice for my needs??

Also if GA-880GMA-UD2H is not available what are the other alternatives keeping in mind my RAM. Also will the AM3 board be compatible with the future AMD proccys (Llano/Bulldozer)??

PSU i will get the Corsair CX400W

Decius said:
Thanks for the replies :)

I have couple of more queries

Yes... but i wud suggest u to go wid Athlon II x4 640 as it easily fits in ur budget... And its a great proccy for gaming too...
Also if GA-880GMA-UD2H is not available what are the other alternatives keeping in mind my RAM.
MSI 880GMA-E45 ~ 5200 (Sata3 + USB3 + Vertical Aligned Sata Ports)

PSU i will get the Corsair CX400W
Buy it only if u dont get the Seasonic S12II 430w PSU (which comes wid 2 PCI-E 6Pin Connectors)

Hades. said:
Buy it only if u dont get the Seasonic S12II 430w PSU (which comes wid 2 PCI-E 6Pin Connectors)

OP said no gaming at all. Then why a PSU with 2 PCI-E 6 pin connectors? :S

Corsair CX400 is Rs.200 cheaper and its A.S.S and availability much better than Seasonic

DarkAngel said:
OP said no gaming at all. Then why a PSU with 2 PCI-E 6 pin connectors? :S

Corsair CX400 is Rs.200 cheaper and its A.S.S and availability much better than Seasonic
I suggested him S12II 430 for its better efficiency and yes if in future OP changes his mind for gaming then 2 6Pin PCI-E connector wud really help him... Why Rs.200 costlier PSU? Well IMO this Rs.200 wud easily get recovered within 2 to 3 months coz S12II 430w has better efficiency... :)

Oh yes, good point @Hades.

@Decius : Since you have cash in hand, I too will suggest you to go for Seasonic S12II 430w PSU @ 2.6k. Better efficiency.

Decius said:

If you "strictly" don't intend to use it as gaming PC, then yes AMD X3 440 will suffice your need. Go for Corsair CX400W PSU then.

Post Updated.

Thanks for the replies Darkangel and Hades.

I do not intend to do gaming at all, however, just in case if I do intend in future then Seasonic PSU would be a better choice?? which graphics card will the Corsair or Seasonic PSU would be able to support??

Also I wanted to know whether the IGP of the Gigabyte/MSI boards suggested would be able to play the HD content/Blu Ray rips smoothly or would i require a discrete graphics card for it??

Decius said:
I do not intend to do gaming at all, however, just in case if I do intend in future then Seasonic PSU would be a better choice?? which graphics card will the Corsair or Seasonic PSU would be able to support??

Seasonic S12II 430w would be a better choice. 2 6Pin PCI-E connector and better efficiency. Enough power to support variety of graphic cards.

Decius said:
Also I wanted to know whether the IGP of the Gigabyte/MSI boards suggested would be able to play the HD content/Blu Ray rips smoothly or would i require a discrete graphics card for it??

Yes, the GA-880GMA-UD2H supports Blu-ray playback. Will run without a hitch.

Stick with the Seasonic PSU, corsair CX400 is originally made by seasonic and sold under Corsair's brand name. Seasonic S12II 430w has a bit better build and better internals than CX400 and the warranty offered is the same too ~ 3yrs. Have a look at this review to get a better idea Seasonic S12II 520W.

Hades. said:
I suggested him S12II 430 for its better efficiency and yes if in future OP changes his mind for gaming then 2 6Pin PCI-E connector wud really help him... Why Rs.200 costlier PSU? Well IMO this Rs.200 wud easily get recovered within 2 to 3 months coz S12II 430w has better efficiency... :)
OMG. 2-3% more efficiency resulting in Rs.200 savings in 2-3 months :p Thats a first for me. Assuming his system runs for 24*7 and the avg. power consumption is ~120w the difference between the two PSU's will be ~4 watt.

Assuming system is on 8 hrs a day.(might be even less) Its ~250hrs a month -> 1 Unit (Rs.4-5) So even if the system is on for 24*7 it will come to Rs.15.
So it will take 40-50 months to recover the Rs.200(8 hrs a day uptime) ;)

The CX400 can handle upto a HD6850 with its native connectors.

Infact both the CX400 and S12II 430 delivers only 30A on +12V rail. So i see no point in going for the Seasonic considering that the CX400 is available for cheaper price.

http://www.seasonic.com/450016CF-C6...E01/pdf/datasheet/NEW/Retail/S12II Bronze.pdf

DarkAngel said:
OMG. 2-3% more efficiency resulting in Rs.200 savings in 2-3 months :p Thats a first for me. Assuming his system runs for 24*7 and the avg. power consumption is ~120w the difference between the two PSU's will be ~4 watt.

Assuming system is on 8 hrs a day.(might be even less) Its ~250hrs a month -> 1 Unit (Rs.4-5) So even if the system is on for 24*7 it will come to Rs.15.

So it will take 40-50 months to recover the Rs.200(8 hrs a day uptime) ;)

The CX400 can handle upto a HD6850 with its native connectors.

Infact both the CX400 and S12II 430 delivers only 30A on +12V rail. So i see no point in going for the Seasonic considering that the CX400 is available for cheaper price.

http://www.seasonic.com/450016CF-C6...E01/pdf/datasheet/NEW/Retail/S12II Bronze.pdf

I wud still Recommend Seasonic S12II 430 even if that Rs. 200 wont get recovered within 2 to 3 months... As its a 430w PSU not a 400w PSU like CX400... comes wid 2 6Pin PCI-E Connectors and has High Efficiency (80+ Bronze)... If the price difference wud have been great then i wudn't have recommended this PSU but the difference of just Rs 200.. is not great enough to not recommend this PSU... If he will go wid either PSU then he wud b making a good choice... But S12II is better than CX400 in every way as its a new model S12II whereas CX400 (S12)..

Hades. said:
I wud still Recommend Seasonic S12II 430 even if that Rs. 200 wont get recovered within 2 to 3 months... As its a 430w PSU not a 400w PSU like CX400... comes wid 2 6Pin PCI-E Connectors and has High Efficiency (80+ Bronze)... If the price difference wud have been great then i wudn't have recommended this PSU but the difference of just Rs 200.. is not great enough to not recommend this PSU... If he will go wid either PSU then he wud b making a good choice... But S12II is better than CX400 in every way as its a new model S12II whereas CX400 (S12)..
Just posted the above one for arguments sake. ;)
Agree that the Seasonic is better. But availability and A.S.S is not great.
There was a thread on how a member was asked to get a refund of only ~3.3k or a VX450 by Tirupati (Billed for ~4.1k) for his S12 II 520w (They didnt have stock or stopped import it seems).
The dealer got involved (He doesnt need to. But Rahul(TheITWares) is a kind dealer.) and finally they agreed to give him a VX550.

Why get a Seasonic now when his needs are fulfilled by the CX400 and go through this tortourous route for a RMA. That was the main reason why i recommeded him the CX400.

Back