Budget 31-40k PC for Office work

reborn

Disciple
I have to buy a PC for office work and some youtube / downloading. I have come up with the following config, please take a look.

Processor: Intel 12100F (9k)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M DS3H (11k)
PSU: Corsair CX650M (5.5k)
Cabinet: Coolermaster NR600 with ODD (6k)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB (5k)
Storage: WD SN770 500 GB (6k)

Will reuse old GPU and HDD. I need a lot of USB ports, so can't use a H610 motherboard. PSU I would prefer a CX550M but it doesn't seem to be available. I also need a case with a DVD drive slot. Anything cheaper than NR600 with dvd drive?

Total comes to around 43k. Would prefer to make it under 40k if possible, but under 45k will do. Any recommendations or anything I should change?

Here's my suggestion
Processor: Intel 12100 (11k)
PSU: Cooler master MWE450 Bronze (3.5k)
RAM: Crucial RAM 1x16GB (4k)
Storage: WD SN570 500 GB (4k)

Total: ~40k

Don't spend on things you don't need. Dual channel RAM has no benefit for office work. SSD with DRAM has no benefit for office work. Higher wattage PSU is not needed if there's no GPU, so move 2k from PSU to processor and get one with iGPU and forget about the GPU.

You can save further by getting a cheaper motherboard and a USB hub if that fulfills your requirement (in case of peripherals, USB 2.0 hub is good enough).

Which GPU? That will dictate the PSU choice a lot. Also, only 1 HDD, right?

GTX 730. Also 2-3 HDDs :) I have a lot of old hdds

Here's my suggestion
Processor: Intel 12100 (11k)
PSU: Cooler master MWE450 Bronze (3.5k)
RAM: Crucial RAM 1x16GB (4k)
Storage: WD SN570 500 GB (4k)

Total: ~40k

Don't spend on things you don't need. Dual channel RAM has no benefit for office work. SSD with DRAM has no benefit for office work. Higher wattage PSU is not needed if there's no GPU, so move 2k from PSU to processor and get one with iGPU and forget about the GPU.

You can save further by getting a cheaper motherboard and a USB hub if that fulfills your requirement (in case of peripherals, USB 2.0 hub is good enough).

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have a GTX 730 bought last year since my old graphics card died and I didn't want to upgrade the whole system at that time. But don't think it consumes much power.

SSD with DRAM has no benefit for office work.
Highly disagree. I think you're generalizing what "office work" is to just browsing and creating documents, presentation and spreadsheets. If that's what office work is that's OK but if anything to do with software development, code compilation, compression/decompression etc. then I'd say get an SSD with DRAM cache.

SSD with DRAM has no benefit for office work
Just correcting this, SN770 does not have DRAM. My suggestion would still be to go with SN570.

I already have a GTX 730 bought last year
I understood that. All I was saying is that you don't need to spend more just so that you can retrofit your system with that card. If your work requires a GPU and you think you can benefit from it, then by all means, use it. But if you don't do any work which will use the GPU, then it's just one more component which can fail and cause headaches later.

if budget permits go with SSD or M2, as if after 2-3 yrs, you wish to use SSD/M2, will be great headache to transfer ALL Software/Apps/data etc. from HDD to SSD/M2

Since this is a work PC, I would also advise you to get a processor with iGPU even if you are planning to use your old GPU. You don't want to be stuck in a situation where your GPU has died & you cannot work due to that. In fact, if you don't have a particular use case for GPU, when not just ditch it altogether? You can sell it & also save on the PSU by going with a 450w unit.

Also, what exact office work would you be doing? Just some docs & chrome or something more?

Last edited:
As everyone suggested the best way to reduce cost would be to get a processor with iGPU and sell your existing GPU also save on SMPS as you won't need that much power.

Since this is a work PC, I would also advise you to get a processor with iGPU even if you are planning to use your old GPU. You don't want to be stuck in a situation where your GPU has died & you cannot work due to that. In fact, if you don't have a particular use case for GPU, when not just ditch it altogether? You can sell it & also save on the PSU by going with a 450w unit.

Also, what exact office work would you be doing? Just some docs & chrome or something more?

I too prefer having an iGPU for the exact reasons you mentioned, but was trying to save some money on this one :). Office work means excel / word mostly, with a little bit of CAD work. The CAD work is very hard to do on iGPU.

If you can stretch your budget little more, you can get Western Digital WD Blue SN570 NVMe 1TB SSD for 7385 inr on Amazon. Thats my mistake as well to go for lower size SSD. Just get 1 tb nvme.

I guess the real question is what kind of work would you require it to perform. If its just multimedia I'd suggest getting a better monitor lower spec CPU components

Back