Budget 51-70k PC for VFX/Editing and 3D

gREen

Im Special, gREen.
Skilled
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • none
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Dell 2020in
    • Seagate 1TB
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - FX 8350, damn fixed
    • RAM - gskill 2x8GB
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 3 months
    • RAM - 2X8GB
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • SP road, b.lore
    • Open to online purchase if the price is competative.
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Editing and Post processing
    • Learning 3d/modelling
    • Desktop Processing
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Been a amd/asus user for a long time. never had a problem. and considering asrock too. no msi.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy games but a rare case, have ps3.
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - FHD
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Linux - Ubuntu 64bit
  14. Things i needed the most,

• Cpu air cooler
  • cabinet for good airflow and support for dust filter(my room window is facing road side, lot of dust rushes)
  • mobo should support usb3
  • a 22-23' fhd monitor
  • KB with backlit and can a gaming kb with macro can be programmed for program shortcuts like ctrl+shift+z like functions.
15. Thing im confused and need more clarification,
  • which mobo to choose, 5k or 15k. i liked the 990fx sabertooth but its strikes my budget.
  • cant choose the right GPU
  • looking for 840 series ssd but a frequent power cut is good for ssd. does it damage?
  • should getting from streets like sp road, if anything goes kaput, does it has anything to do with warranty.
this config is using photoshop, after effects and premiere. and im stepping in 3d with 3ds max/zbrush/autocad/vue in the coming moths. will be using a dual monitor setup(already have a spare dell 2020in), so 22-23' one is wiser as using program and playing tutorial videos side by side will be more productive.[DOUBLEPOST=1371801164][/DOUBLEPOST]@terence_fdes @ALPHA17 anyone....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @gREen

Let me start of by stating that
1] Your choice of proc FX-8350 is NOT the best choice for a VFX/Editing and CGI system - the 8 cored system does NOT offer ANY additional benefits that a 4 cored Intel system can. None of the apps that you plan to use will make full use of 8 cores.
2] A budget of 55k is a bit tight. So we will see how you can build this system in phases.

Proc:
Haswell - i5-4430 ~ 12125/-
or i5-4670K ~ 16700/- this is the second best of the haswell (after the 4770K)
Note: You can use the iGPU (HD4600) of the above comfortably for a few months until you decide to add a discrete GPU. In such a case - go directly with 16GB RAM (or try 8GB first).

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 ~ 8125/- [Military Class 4 Board]

RAM : G.Skill (2 x 4GB) 2133MHz ~ 5300/-

PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W Bronze ~ 5120/-

UPS: A must as you mention that you have frequent power cuts/surges. Chose APC.
[DO NOT EVER RUN YOUR SYSTEM WITHOUT THE ABOVE]

COMPONENTS THAT CAN BE ADDED LATER
GPU
CPU-air cooler
RAM (additional)

I have left out Cabby/SSD for later tonight.

Cheers
Terry

Hi @gREen

Let me start of by stating that
1] Your choice of proc FX-8350 is NOT the best choice for a VFX/Editing and CGI system - the 8 cored system does NOT offer ANY additional benefits that a 4 cored Intel system can. None of the apps that you plan to use will make full use of 8 cores.
2] A budget of 55k is a bit tight. So we will see how you can build this system in phases.
1. read a lot of reviews and found that 8350 is better than i5 4430
it performs more or less compared to i7 3xxx, correct me if im wrong.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-review,3521-13.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-review,3521-14.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/3
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_fx_8350_processor_review,13.html
and compared with haswell,
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7003/the-haswell-review-intel-core-i74770k-i54560k-tested/7
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i7_4770k_review,16.html
premiere(pp) and after effects(afx) utilizes multithreading(MT), so why not utilizing 8 cores?
heres the benchs for pp,
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/-34-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CS6,3171.html

i7-4770K 186s vs fx 8350 218s
afx benchs
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/-35-Adobe-After-Effects-CS6,3170.html
53s vs 73s
ps bench
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/-33-Adobe-Photoshop-CS-6,3169.html
47s vs 72s
choosed this because im diving into 3d, so rendering needs MT.

2. yup, my budgets tight, thats why choosing 8350 than haswell which performs well. <VFM>

Proc:
Haswell - i5-4430 ~ 12125/-
or i5-4670K ~ 16700/- this is the second best of the haswell (after the 4770K)
Note: You can use the iGPU (HD4600) of the above comfortably for a few months until you decide to add a discrete GPU. In such a case - go directly with 16GB RAM (or try 8GB first).

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 ~ 8125/- [Military Class 4 Board]

RAM : G.Skill (2 x 4GB) 2133MHz ~ 5300/-

PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W Bronze ~ 5120/-

actually, i was thinking of getting quadro 600 first and add another later. or gtx 5x0 cards?
2x8gb ram is essential as it alloted 2gb per core, add another 16gb later.
and no msi mobo please.

[DO NOT EVER RUN YOUR SYSTEM WITHOUT THE ABOVE] what does this mean?
actually entire house is connected to inverter but the problem is most times my family(grandma) switch off thinking somethings on(as my current 24x7 dw rig, so dont happen the same to this.) does it crash the ssd. read that the cells will be destoryed and the space cannot be used.

thanks for the valuable inputs.[DOUBLEPOST=1371820610][/DOUBLEPOST]
What's the native resolution of your Dell 20" monitor?
1600x900. this is second monitor which will be used only for tutorial videos. any problem?
never used multimonitor setup before.[DOUBLEPOST=1371820683][/DOUBLEPOST]
Dell 2020IN is a 1600x900 px , but he wants a FHD resolution, I dont know how its achieved![DOUBLEPOST=1371820345][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why MSI Terry?
will be using a dual monitor setup(already have a spare dell 2020in), so 22-23' one is wiser as using program and playing tutorial videos side by side will be more productive.

a word of caution though @gREen USD at 60, your purchase is gonna cost you dearly!
bro, i understand now. i should increase my budget
a simple quote,
cpu - 12
ram - 8
ssd - 8
cab - 5
psu - 5
kb&m - 2.5
total - 40.5k
the remaining are monitor, mobo, cpu cooler and gpu.
i have extra psu which is 4xx watts which doesnt power the entire system(125w of 8350)
else i should sell some unused stuffs.

dual monitor setup with different monitor resolutions will be a pain. first, the height difference in screens. second the native resolution's of each monitor will differ and if you extend the screen in windows the full HD screen will fallback to a lower resolution. the picture will look stretched or blurry and not nice. and third, since both monitors will be different model numbers, you will have hard time matching brightness and contrast settings. I tried multi monitor setup with my view sonic 20" and aoc 23" and didn't like it one bit. if multi monitor setup is required get 2 x monitors of same make ans size.

dual monitor setup with different monitor resolutions will be a pain. first, the height difference in screens. second the native resolution's of each monitor will differ and if you extend the screen in windows the full HD screen will fallback to a lower resolution. the picture will look stretched or blurry and not nice. and third, since both monitors will be different model numbers, you will have hard time matching brightness and contrast settings. I tried multi monitor setup with my view sonic 20" and aoc 23" and didn't like it one bit. if multi monitor setup is required get 2 x monitors of same make ans size.
not gonna use dual setup the entire time.
just when i wanted to learn like,
dell plays tutorial videos(900p)
and the new one is my default and i run the program.(1080p)
so im not gonna extend by fixing side by side.
im just gonna adjust my brightness or whatever manually(buttons)
have you tried this one, give a try
http://www.displayfusion.com/
and is there something im missing.

Should work for tutorials, etc I say. I currently use an iPad for Tutorial videos. It just about does the job.
thats a good idea, never thinked about it. will give a try. btw, this monitor which is lying extra so thought maybe i put it to work.

The debate between AMD & Intel will never end. At the end each user should make an informed choice. You will not be a loser for whichever decision that you take.

[DO NOT EVER RUN YOUR SYSTEM WITHOUT THE ABOVE] what does this mean?​
actually entire house is connected to inverter but the problem is most times my family(grandma) switch off thinking somethings on(as my current 24x7 dw rig, so dont happen the same to this.) does it crash the ssd. read that the cells will be destoryed and the space cannot be used.

You need to understand correctly the role of a UPS in a situation like yours [UPS here means a good quality build like APC]
  • An Inverter will not and cannot take the place of a UPS
  • If your home/area is prone to frequent power cuts/voltage fluctuations/power surges - then your Computer will take a HIT each time this problem occurs [each component will sustain damages in this order - motherboard; psu; processor; gpu; ssd; hdd's]. Often times people spend a fortune on a new RIG but compromise on not including a UPS and then all sorts of 'irreversible' problems occur.
  • Having a (good quality) UPS will take care of all such external 'power-supply' problems and protect your system without you having any fears or headaches.
Get rid of the 'dual monitor' fixation. Building a quality rig should be your priority.

The debate between AMD & Intel will never end. At the end each user should make an informed choice. You will not be a loser for whichever decision that you take.
yup, i knew.

You need to understand correctly the role of a UPS in a situation like yours [UPS here means a good quality build like APC]
  • An Inverter will not and cannot take the place of a UPS
  • If your home/area is prone to frequent power cuts/voltage fluctuations/power surges - then your Computer will take a HIT each time this problem occurs [each component will sustain damages in this order - motherboard; psu; processor; gpu; ssd; hdd's]. Often times people spend a fortune on a new RIG but compromise on not including a UPS and then all sorts of 'irreversible' problems occur.
  • Having a (good quality) UPS will take care of all such external 'power-supply' problems and protect your system without you having any fears or headaches.
Get rid of the 'dual monitor' fixation. Building a quality rig should be your priority.

been using inverter for more than 1 year. let me fix that.
btw, can you come up with a config please.

If I understand correctly, you already have both monitors? If so definitely use them for tutorial videos and other similar tasks (cheat sheets, keyboard shortcuts, etc..) If however you are trying to create a dual monitor workspace I would listen to the pros here. Try experimenting with the extended desktop and see how comfortable you are with it.

Is your rig going to be on 24/7? If so, make sure the UPS you buy has a USB connection to the PC so that it can issue a shutdown command after say 10 mins on battery. I don't know the power situation in Bangalore so this is my advice based on my experience in Delhi when I would have long power cuts.

sorry guys had been busy last week.
planning the purchase on wednesday. here's what i deceided,

fx 8350 - 12k
840 pro[128gb] - 8k
g.skill ripjawsX[2x8gb] - 8k
nzxt phantom 410 or corsair 400r - 6k
21.5 fhd[probably from dell] - 11k
total comes to 45k
so please suggest mobo, psu and gfx for 25k.
upgrading the cooler and ram later.

There's still no conclusive proof that they've closed shop in india. They've just closed their website.

That particular board is the best vfm in its segment.

Back