CPU/Mobo PC Freezing

b00gieMan

Adept
Hi all, am here after a long long time..

So, as the title says my system freezes followed by a no display scenario. This happens on the BIOS, system becomes pretty much dead there and nothing happens after that.

My config:
AMD 1090t
Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
2 x 2gb DDR3 Mushkins Red Line Ram
MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 470
Corsair HX 850 PSU.
HDDs and 1 Optical Drive.
OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits

So here goes, last week i switched on my machine in the morning, my PC froze on Windows booting screen. As a normal response, i waited a few minutes, nothing happened, then rebooted my system manually by pressing reset button. After this the pc rebooted and got stuck on the bios splash screen, it wouldnt react too anything i did, it didnt even react to the power button on the chassis. While this was happening, my display was on and was showing the frozen screen of bios splash. The keyboard wouldnt react to the caps lock button tapping (no leds were on). The power and reset button on the motherboard worked fine, it would light up and also respond on pressing them.The issue is still the same.

These are the things that i've tried:
1) Cleaned RAM sticks using a clean pencil rubber
2) Removed my CPU fan (i use stock fan / cooler), cleaned processor using acetone and also cleaned the base of the cooler with acetone. Applied thermal paste (MX / Arctic Silver / Cooler Master). Booted system, same issue.
3) Removed my gfx card, cleaned and wiped it, installed it back -- no luck.
4) Tried swapping gfx card with other pcie slots on the board for the heck of it -- same issue
5) Disconnected all the drives and optical drives.. tried going to bios.. PC froze before entering bios.
6) While doing all these steps, for once i was able to enter the bios, i quickly checked PC Health status to check processor over heating issue.. it showed that the processor was running at 44* C and then the very next moment it froze there.
7) I tried my RAMs on a different machine and put machine under stress (video encoding) and kept it under stress for over 12 hours and it was rock solid. Even played games and it was rock solid.
6) Havent tried my gfx card as no one around me have a suitable PSU
7) No AM3 socket AMD processor around to test the socket of the motherboard.\
8) To eliminate my gfx card being screwed up possibility, i used a friend's gfx card which was being used, still same issue.

System stays on even after freezing / no display. There are no beeps heard. There is no other clicking sound or electrical sound, although i do hear beeps if i try to boot without rams. One of the fans on my GPU sometimes stop for a moment and then starts working again while the other fan stays on constantly, this is not new, this is more of a scenario where the fan of my gfx has become less smooth.. also this doesn't happen all the time. There were no artifacts or freezing before while playing games or movies, also have dual monitor setup and both worked fine without any artifacts or so.

Even while the system is frozen, its still on, all the fans and leds are working perfectly, even board buttons work fine.

Have looked for such similar problems but not finding any proper solutions.

Kindly guide what could be the issue.

NOTE: Excuse the way i've written, am typing from a really really old partially dead keyboard lol.[DOUBLEPOST=1400511827][/DOUBLEPOST]EDIT: I already changed cmos battery and cleared CMOS and Resetted it using CLR CMOS button on the board. Same issue.

Last edited:
You have not mentioned any testing of the PSU, or did I miss it ?
I havent tested the PSU, neither have i removed it from the cabby.. its kinda tough with the cable management. I highly doubt if its the PSU coz there is no power drop or system doesnt lose power at any point, it just stays on with either frozen screen or a frozen screen followed by no display.[DOUBLEPOST=1400586008][/DOUBLEPOST]PC up and running. So far.

Last edited:
Sometimes system behaves like humans..
If you use ti regularly it will work flawlessly and time above it normal capacity but if you keep it powered off for a long time then these problems are bound to happen.

Is such cases, reset bios, remove battery and again insert it. Same goes with the rams.

Back