Monitors PC monitor : LED or IPS?

m47r1m

Adept
Right so its time to upgrade my PC monitor. I can either get an LED monitor or the Dell IPS both of them retail for around 15k ish which is my budget.

Only needs are gaming and movies. With movies taking a slightly higher priority.

What should I go for?

Re: PC monito : LED or IPS?

^^ IPS wins hand down, an LED back-light only increases brightness of screen not the color reproduction OR viewing angle, I think you are confused between LED back-light and IPS panel type both fall under different components of the LCD monitor,

the IPS is a panel type which comprises the surface on which an image is created LCD Panel Technology Explained - S-IPS, H-IPS, S-PVA, MVA and TN, where as LED is a back-light which just affects the brightness and efficiency of a monitor (its Cold Cathode Fluorscent Light CCFL was a bit of a power hog and could not be bright enough at the edges) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backlight.

In your case of gaming and movie watching I would recommend you go for the Dell Ultrasharp U2311H a great IPS monitor ~ 14000/- worth its image quality, color (worth) in gold. Hope this helps.

Go for BenQ G2420HD .... you can hook up HD devices, xbox 360, PS3, Tata Sky HD etc. 11k

It doesn't have HDMI, one would require HDMI to DVI adapter; that not a big issue but the Sound is a big issue, how will you get the sound?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

As for TN panels ... TN panels are being dumped by some of you only because of the poor viewing angle but most of us sit in front of it & use it. TN panels are still great for gaming & if you are using 24 incher then it's awesome. Dell's IPS is a mind-blowing display (no argument on that) but BenQ's Input & ports (HDMIx2, Sound etc) makes it easier for the said devices other than PC.

1. You could use :-

a) HDMI to Displayport

b) HDMI to DVI port + RCA out / Optical out from PS3/Xbox360 for audio

2. G2420HD has only 1 HDMI port. The E2420HD has 2.

3. The thread starter has not mentioned an xbox or PS3 anywhere in his original post :)

From what I read & saw in reviews. The Dell U2311h is a not a good IPS panel to buy cuz it's viewing angles are not that good & also there Backlight bleeding in it. It's performance is as good as BenQ G2420HD. I have carefully researched over these 2 models as I am gonna buy one in 2 weeks :) And am now sure of the BenQ one cuz my primary need is gaming & secondary is Movies.

Here is the thing though. I dont need HDMI since I dont have an HDMI out on my PC. And I have an LCD tv which hooks up to my consoles (Wii and 360) and STB so only need DVI/VGA for the PC.

And I need it to have good viewing angles because sometimes I use the PC with a sort of a couch and viewing angle is slightly low which is why my current LCD seems a bit dark.

@aercy that link isnt working.

aercy said:
The Dell U2311h is a not a good IPS panel to buy cuz it's viewing angles are not that good & also there Backlight bleeding in it.

Viewing angles are fine, I've seen one briefly and it seemed as good as my 2007WFP, which is better than what you will ever see on a TN panel. The purple tint you see off-axis on blank screens is a normal characteristic of IPS panels. Please do not mix it up with poor viewing angles. You also have to remember that even if you sit perfectly perpendicular to a screen, not all pixels - especially the edges - are facing you directly. On larger TN panels, you will notice the contrast dropping off at the edges.

Backlight bleed is something that varies from panel to panel, although yes they do seem to be fairly common on the U2311h. Return it to Dell if you get one with a lot of backlight bleed. Here's the backlight bleed on a good U2311h : http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/dell_u2311h/uniformity_black.jpg

Likewise there are people with G2420HDs complaining of backlight bleed too. Does that make the entire series bad?

In both the youtube vid and the PCWorld review, the reviewers seem to recommend the U2311h as still being a good deal :huh: (if you can afford it)

Its good that you've settled on your desired monitor, but please do not generalise what you hear and spread around false information, like the U2311h being incompatible with HD devices :p

So you are saying I would get better performance with Dell U2311H? As I would game (don't play FPS much except CoD), Movies & wanna hook up xbox 360.

Back