PC Peripherals PC not booting up, no activity whatsoever.

Orija

Adept
A few days back my pc shut off while browsing the internet and isn't booting up now. There's no light no the keyboard or mouse, no beeps and none of the fans run. There is a single red led flash on the mobo when I press the power button but it doesn't happen again if I repeatedly press the power button, until some time has passed.

Here's what I've done:

Taken out and reconnected most of the wiring.

Done the paperclip test on the psu, the fan starting working.

The motherboard is a Biostar TA785GE 125M and the system's about two years old though the HDD is a bit older.

All my college projects are on that pc and it's very important that I get it working, fast.

Have you tried resetting the bios?Disconnect all HDD,Video/audio cards,dvd drive etc and see if the pc is booting up.Check if the cpu fan is spinning.

^ you can try without ram stick. if the remaining system is fine, then it should give beep error [assuming you have connected the buzzer, or if it is present by default]

then it must be the motherboard for sure...take it to a comp second hand sales dealer who sells used board and proccy's and ask him to test your board with a proccy of hiis own...if it still dosen't work , then your board has gone kaput...could be even a power ic chip that mite have gone on the board which can be fixed

Alright, I too think it's the motherboard. What are the things that could have gone wrong with it and how much is it gonna cost to get them repaired? I ask this just so that I don't get ripped off by the repair guy.

Also, I don't think the mobo got fried, there was no sound or anything when the pc switched off by itself nor did I see any burnt stuff while checking the components.

it could be the capacitors on the board, it could be the power ic. well the actual cost for the power ic repair is only around 300 bucks but some dealers round it off to 500 which includes their labour charge ! what ever it may be, it should be well within 650 bucks, if its more than that, there is no point getting the board repaired, you might as well get a new board . hope this helps

The repair guy says it's the ic and that it'll cost 500 bucks. The thing is, he says that it's hard to find an ic for my Biostar board and they have ordered it straight from the company. He has no idea as to how long it's gonna take, should I pay him a 100 bucks and take the system back or should I wait?

if you've got important data on the HDD, i will recommend to take any further steps with secondary HDD or first backup this HDD on some other computer..

Back