CPU/Mobo PC not booting up. Please Help.

Soufosale

Disciple
My current setup is Ryzen 5 4650g + A520 Mobo running on a Thermaltake S550W PSU. A few days back I tried turning on my PC and it refused to Boot up. But weirdly the RGB of the Mouse and Keyboard lights up when I switch it on.

Initially I thought it was an issue with the PSU so I brought the tower over to the shop where I bought it from and it turned on immediately without any issues. So I reckoned the problem was with the power chord and bought a new one from them and when I tried to turn it on back home the same issue still exists.

All the RGB of the peripherals turn on but the PC itself is not booting up (no fans or lights or sounds in the CPU). I tried just about all the sockets in my home and no change.

Any Help or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Please excuse the shitty cinematography

When you turned it on at the store did it get to Windows without any issues? Maybe something was loose and moving it around put it back in place. Reseating everything is worth a try, especially your RAM, video card and processor.

When you turned it on at the store did it get to Windows without any issues?
Yup booted up normally and got to the login screen. The first thing they did was turn it on without the HDMI connected and the fans started spinning immediately.

Then they removed and cleaned the RAM sticks, dusted the PC with a Paintbrush and connected it to a monitor and the login screen popped up without any issues.

Remove both RAMs, rub the contact points with pencil eraser and plug back in only one of the RAM. Then try turning it on. I think something is loose.

Greg Salazar had a viewer's PC come in with the same symptoms, RGB/USB would turn on but no POST:

Turns out, the processor/heatsink needed to be removed and reseated. You could give that a try?

First of all thanks to everyone for taking the time to help out

Remove both RAMs, rub the contact points with pencil eraser and plug back in only one of the RAM. Then try turning it on. I think something is loose.
Tried that. Infact the first thing they did at the shop is to take out the RAM and out just one in. Took it back home and took out the RAM and tried turning it on with just one stick and no change.
Maybe a shorted / damaged pin on your HDMi cable is doing something. Try without it.

Try turning it on with the power cord only. Don’t connect anything else.
Only the power chord is connected at the moment. Still not turning on. Even tried a different power chord but still not turning on.

earthing in your house good?
try plugging computer to another outlet in the house
Tried out almost all the outlets in the house. I also tried connecting it to a 1100VA UPS with power on and on UPS backup but still no change.

Come to think of it Earthing might be an issue in my house. I've felt small shocks by touching some electronics and some lights randomly get fried on the second floor -_-

But won't running the PC on UPS backup alone atleast turn on the PC in this case ?

Turns out, the processor/heatsink needed to be removed and reseated. You could give that a try?
Will try it out. But the PC turning on almost immediately at the shop has me doubting it is a problem with the processor or heatsink. Will definitely trying it out tho.

I'm also planning to take it to a friend's house to confirm whether or not the electric supply in my house is the issue.

Disconnect everything from the motherboard except CPU power cable, Motherboard power cable, 1 RAM, CPU fan. Start your PC by shorting power switch terminal using screwdriver or something. If it still doesn't start then you can be sure the fault is either with motherboard or power supply.

But won't running the PC on UPS backup alone atleast turn on the PC in this case ?
Did you unplug the UPS? If the UPS is still plugged in the socket, then earthing and neutral lines remain on.

PC turning on almost immediately at the shop has me doubting it is a problem with the processor or heatsink.
Bulky heatsink can make CPU move about in the socket, especially when travelling. Reseat the CPU.

Reseat the CPU
Will reseat the CPU first. Then will try this
Disconnect everything from the motherboard except CPU power cable, Motherboard power cable, 1 RAM, CPU fan. Start your PC by shorting power switch terminal using screwdriver or something. If it still doesn't start then you can be sure the fault is either with motherboard or power supply.
Yes the UPS was unplugged when I tried to turn it on.

Update: Took the PC to a friend's house and it booted up immediately. Came back home and plugged the PC into a powerplug where the refrigerator was plugged in and it works.

There is also an Earthing issue in the metal part of the cabinet when the PC is switch on at my house. So I've called an electrician to check out the earthing in my house.

Thanks for the help everyone.

There is also an Earthing issue in the metal part of the cabinet when the PC is switch on at my house.
Many PC leak current in Earthing despite running perfectly okay. If you feel current that means earthing in your house isn't connected to earth or earthing dug in earth has been degraded (happens with old house).

If you feel current on your PC cabinet metal despite the computer is switched off, that means other application like fridge, geezer or fan is leaking current in earthing line. Disconnect these applications one by one to find who's wasting your electricity. If current is high on earthing line, it can fry your motherboard as it's directly connected. You may safeguard your PC by running it in 2 pin socket instead of 3 pin until you fix issue with the earthing.

Back