CPU/Mobo PC not booting when side intake fan is connected

did you buy kit of 4 rams or each ram separately if you are buying rams always buy kit of 2,4 rams never buy 4 rams separately. ram is sold separately in sigle packing when they find it is not working with other ram at given speed .in kit they check all rams working together. If you bought separately there is no guarantee that all 4 rams will work together even with same model and same memory chip inside. They will work on base speed of ddr4 ram but not at higher frequencies. That is why a kit of 4 rams is always expensive. Had a similar issue with corsair rams bought separately if xmp is enabled they work few minutes then crashed and blue screen. Turned out that one ram had micron chips another had hynix chips. Rams with chips on one side(single rank) and ram with chip on both sides(bouble rank) of pcb will also not work together. look in typhoon burner what kind of chips and rank you have.start with 2 identical rams and enable docp in bios if 2 rams are stable at 3200 mhz then add 3rd one and check if stable at 3200 mhz then try 4th on.if it crashes with blue screen clear cmos and boot.

I recently learned that there's this thing called memory training when you're running multiple sticks of ram. You start off with a bios reset and then boot with a single stick of Ram, shutdown, install one more stick, boot again. Repeat until you have all four sticks installed. Sometimes some sticks won't work in a particular slot, but work fine in another slot. I start with the outermost slot and finish with the slot closest to the CPU socket.

This isn't required for modern motherboard designs like Gigabytes B550/X570 boards that have a fin-stack vrm cooler, those can boot with 128GB installed at XMP on the first boot. But anything more than a couple of years old, they really don't like it when you populate all four slots at once. I've experienced this across multiple generations from Z97 to X299 and first gen Ryzen.

I have a single ADATA XPG stick mixed in with Corsair LPX's and G Skill Ripjaws on the same motherboard and they all run at 3200MHz XMP, so your issue shouldn't be related to the quality of the ram.

Other than that, it looks like there's some kind of short or loose connection somewhere that's affecting your fan. It's probably a good idea to move the system out of the case and test.

did you buy kit of 4 rams or each ram separately if you are buying rams always buy kit of 2,4 rams never buy 4 rams separately. ram is sold separately in sigle packing when they find it is not working with other ram at given speed .in kit they check all rams working together. If you bought separately there is no guarantee that all 4 rams will work together even with same model and same memory chip inside. They will work on base speed of ddr4 ram but not at higher frequencies. That is why a kit of 4 rams is always expensive. Had a similar issue with corsair rams bought separately if xmp is enabled they work few minutes then crashed and blue screen. Turned out that one ram had micron chips another had hynix chips. Rams with chips on one side(single rank) and ram with chip on both sides(bouble rank) of pcb will also not work together. look in typhoon burner what kind of chips and rank you have.start with 2 identical rams and enable docp in bios if 2 rams are stable at 3200 mhz then add 3rd one and check if stable at 3200 mhz then try 4th on.if it crashes with blue screen clear cmos and boot.
Wow, that is indeed valuable info. Didn't know that. Yeah, I bought the sticks individually and not a kit. Didn't know that all RAMs even if same model are not made equally. Guess I am learning it the hard way.
I recently learned that there's this thing called memory training when you're running multiple sticks of ram. You start off with a bios reset and then boot with a single stick of Ram, shutdown, install one more stick, boot again. Repeat until you have all four sticks installed. Sometimes some sticks won't work in a particular slot, but work fine in another slot. I start with the outermost slot and finish with the slot closest to the CPU socket.

This isn't required for modern motherboard designs like Gigabytes B550/X570 boards that have a fin-stack vrm cooler, those can boot with 128GB installed at XMP on the first boot. But anything more than a couple of years old, they really don't like it when you populate all four slots at once. I've experienced this across multiple generations from Z97 to X299 and first gen Ryzen.

I have a single ADATA XPG stick mixed in with Corsair LPX's and G Skill Ripjaws on the same motherboard and they all run at 3200MHz XMP, so your issue shouldn't be related to the quality of the ram.

Other than that, it looks like there's some kind of short or loose connection somewhere that's affecting your fan. It's probably a good idea to move the system out of the case and test.
Thanks dear. I also read about this few days ago. Will try it today.
And the fan isn't an issue I guess. Because with older sticks, it always boots up. And with newer sticks, it gives problem sometimes and sometimes not.

Do you think if I upgrade the mobo to a newer model, it will support the newer sticks without problem?

Good info, but very unfortunate. 4 slots of RAM seem an ideal opportunity to upgrade later - when building the PC we are already broke :). It is natural to think we'll get 2 sticks of RAM for now. Later, we install and use more and more applications. Also, upgraded OS and applications are more RAM hungry as developers assume more people have a higher amount of RAM over time. So RAM needs also increase over time.

Sad. I've been taking the risk of getting different RAM after a few years, and faced no such issues for 3 PC builds in last 20 years, but the concerns you highlight are legit.

Okay guys. So I talked to someone today and he said that my CPU might be the problem.

I have Ryzen 7 1700 and Asus Rog Strix B350-F
He said that 1st gen ryzen had RAM compatibility issues and had limited support for RAMs. Is it true? Can I upgrade my CPU alone to a 2nd gen and make use of these Adata sticks?

Okay guys. So I talked to someone today and he said that my CPU might be the problem.

I have Ryzen 7 1700 and Asus Rog Strix B350-F
He said that 1st gen ryzen had RAM compatibility issues and had limited support for RAMs. Is it true? Can I upgrade my CPU alone to a 2nd gen and make use of these Adata sticks?
It is a risky proposition. If you can borrow a processor, first check for a few hours. You will only have to spend for the thermal paste in that case.

Unfortunately for me, I have shifted to a new location this year and there is nobody known here who can help me.
Even if I can find people here, there is no guarantee that I can find someone with 2nd or 3rd gen ryzen.
Anyways, thanks for your kind advice.

I have asked a friend to try my ADATA RAM in his PC and if it works then I will take his corsair RAM. Need to wait few days as he is in a different city.

I am also keeping an eye on olx and TE now for any used processor just in case it doesn't work on my friend's system.

Back