CPU/Mobo PC not booting with all Ram Dimms

hi guys i relaly need some help from u guys

now guys i have an unusual problem but ill start from the beginning

day before yesterday my PC vendor came and installed a HDD to my PC and i changed my GPU position from PCI-e 1 to 2

and my sound card position also

now after instlaling everyting when we started the PC it didnt start and no video came on it.the mobo just showed 68 and i was like maybe its something like we have missed to put some wire or something so thats happening

i told him to setup it up and i went to work and then after 2 hour when i came back home the computer was working fine and i called him up and he told me that there was some problem with the RAM and that he has taken care of and PC was workiing fine after that

now yesterday when i came back from work i heard my computer was very loudly making some error noise like too,too,too,too,too every sec and i was like wtf is going on here

the noise was very loud and i was really scared

after this i shut down computer and then re-inserted RAM and PC started and it stayed ok for more than a day

just 1/2 hour ago i was playing COH and was also listnening to some music on WMP and all of a sudden the PC gave me a BSOD and started making that noise again and i was thinking omg again dammit wtf is going on

then i re-inserted only one RAM in 1 DIMM slot and PC booted abd did this for all RAMS and every RAM booted fine then i thought maybe its 2 RAMS so i just inserted 2 RAMS at a time together to test(and iam on 2 RMAs right now) and the PC started with out any problem

but then i inserted the 3rd RAM and the PC didnt start and then i changed the 2 RAM with 3rd and then it started so i went to bios and changed all the settings etc.(havent turned off my OC as of now on my CPU) after i did this and started my PC again with all of my RAMs and then again that noise started coming so now iam not taking chances and iam working on 4gb as of now till a final solution or something is done

iam really helpless as iam completely noob at whats going on and i dont know what the hell is wrong with my PC

is it the mobo or the RAM iam not sure can some1 tell me what should i do?

also is it safe to run on 2 RAM till the time i can get the 3rd one to work?

should i RMA the RAM or my MOBO?(also if i RMA my mobo i wont be able to get a new one coz in INDIA the company that gave EVGA products have stop selling so they will give me cash but not a replacement as far as i know

can some1 please help me here thanks

Any idea roughly where the weird noise is coming from.? Why were the GPU/sound cards slots changed.? You can run the X58 on 2 DIMMS, it will operate Dual Channel, absolutely save. MEMTEST each stick -- isolate each unit. Also, post the memdump here if you can.

you may also check the dump in windbg. Few days back when I inserted one more RAM I got surprise crashes which I found were coming from nvidia drivers I reinstalled thoose and still have to see the BSOD again, so checking your dump is a good step forward towards investigation.

Additionally see if it only win7 crying for hardware change or is it happenning in xp as well. Last time I changed my Mobo, My win7 refused to boot even after repair, though XP boots fine.

ok guys ill do memtest but iam pretty new at this can u give me a brief intro on how to use it as iam a bit confused

also guys thanks for such help ill test this and come back to u on the progress as of now 2 rams are working good in slot 1 and 3 but when i insert in slot 5 it doesnt work

also guys can i use slot 2,4 and 6 instead of slot 1,3 and 5

also if i test single RAM on slot 5 should it work coz when i tried yesterday it just kept changing post on mobo but didnt boot

thanks for advice guys keep emm coming

EDIT:eek:k guys now all RAMs are working on slot 5 and it has booted fine with all the RAMs (like iam using 3 rams now instead of 2)

guys should i RMA my RAM to be safe?

Yes, you can use different slots for multiple DIMMs. Just make sure the colors are same. So either use all black, or all green. Ideally single slot '5' should also work. Seems like a BIOS issue. You comfortable to flash the board to the latest BIOS -- but do check what the new BIOS is offering.

Regarding MEMTEST, just launch the EXE from windows, and let it run over night. Keep all applications off.

paraskhosla said:
EDIT:eek:k guys now all RAMs are working on slot 5 and it has booted fine with all the RAMs (like iam using 3 rams now instead of 2)

guys should i RMA my RAM to be safe?
Try each stick individually+memtest it, to rule out faulty RAM.

PhOeNiX said:
Just read the manual as to which slots to use when using 3 DIMM's. Most motherboards have restrictions.
+1

check your motherboard manual the tripple channel memory needs to be placed in particular slot when youj are using 3 DIMM's ... there will be a diagrametic distcription on which slot in the manual.

paraskhosla said:
ok guys ill do memtest but iam pretty new at this can u give me a brief intro on how to use it as iam a bit confused

Have all the sticks of RAM on the slots before testing. If any of the sticks are faulty, this would show up irrespective of whether you have one stick on the slot or all of them.
1. Format a pen drive using the HP USB Stick Formatting Tool - Link to make it a bootable drive.

2. Download Memtest and load the files to your bootable pendrive - Link.

3. Plug the drive to your USB port, restart the computer and ensure that the first boot drive is changed to flash drive.

4. You will see a Windows 98 loading screen as the system boots from the pen drive and then a command prompt - X:\> (where X is your pen drive's formatted drive letter).

5. Run the application from the command prompt.

6. If the stick(s) is/are faulty, a screen similar to this, would show up.

7. If it happens, RMA the sticks. If not, your sticks are safe. Your board may be acting up.

kolguy said:
+1

check your motherboard manual the tripple channel memory needs to be placed in particular slot when youj are using 3 DIMM's ... there will be a diagrametic distcription on which slot in the manual.

The colors are good enough, black or green.
Desecrator said:
Have all the sticks of RAM on the slots before testing. If any of the sticks are faulty, this would show up irrespective of whether you have one stick on the slot or all of them.
1. Format a pen drive using the HP USB Stick Formatting Tool - Link to make it a bootable drive.

2. Download Memtest and load the files to your bootable pendrive - Link.

3. Plug the drive to your USB port, restart the computer and ensure that the first boot drive is changed to flash drive.

4. You will see a Windows 98 loading screen as the system boots from the pen drive and then a command prompt - X:\> (where X is your pen drive's formatted drive letter).

5. Run the application from the command prompt.

6. If the stick(s) is/are faulty, a screen similar to this, would show up.

7. If it happens, RMA the sticks. If not, your sticks are safe. Your board may be acting up.
I always run it from Windows, MEMTest EXE. How different is this method. Any advantage..?

asingh said:
I always run it from Windows, MEMTest EXE. How different is this method. Any advantage..?

memtest tests the memory by performing some memory operations(for example, write and read a location to test data integrity) on the entire memory.

Memtest86 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AFAIK If you run a memory test from within windows (or any other modern operating system), it is running as an application under the OS. Applications do not have direct access to physical memory address space. The app has to request the OS for memory which will then allocate from the virtual address space (the app does not know from where the memory is allocated, it may be from swap or physical memory). So if memtest is run from within windows, it is not guaranteed that it is operating on the physical memory.

That is the reason why machine is booted into memtest, so that it can have direct access to all the physical memory and carry on actual physical memory tests. This method is more thorough and recommended.

How to get memtest?

1. You can get a memtest iso and burn it to a CD, or use the USB method like Desecrator has explained. You can boot from CD/USB into memtest.

2. Ubuntu live CD (and may be even the alternate and server CDs, I am not sure) comes with memtest utility. You can boot from the CD and select the memtest option.

3. If you already have linux installed on your machine, you can find memtest in your bootloader options. Select it to boot into memtest.

well bro i have had the same problem with the old mobo...
here is what to do.
1. whenever u change slots it is always gud to reset ur bios. tk out the battry and reset ur bios.
2. if u r using 3 rams then put them in tripel channel not all together refer ur manual.
3. disable all oc and have fresh boot. it should work.

viki said:
memtest tests the memory by performing some memory operations(for example, write and read a location to test data integrity) on the entire memory.

Memtest86 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AFAIK If you run a memory test from within windows (or any other modern operating system), it is running as an application under the OS. Applications do not have direct access to physical memory address space. The app has to request the OS for memory which will then allocate from the virtual address space (the app does not know from where the memory is allocated, it may be from swap or physical memory). So if memtest is run from within windows, it is not guaranteed that it is operating on the physical memory.

That is the reason why machine is booted into memtest, so that it can have direct access to all the physical memory and carry on actual physical memory tests. This method is more thorough and recommended.

How to get memtest?

1. You can get a memtest iso and burn it to a CD, or use the USB method like Desecrator has explained. You can boot from CD/USB into memtest.

2. Ubuntu live CD (and may be even the alternate and server CDs, I am not sure) comes with memtest utility. You can boot from the CD and select the memtest option.

3. If you already have linux installed on your machine, you can find memtest in your bootloader options. Select it to boot into memtest.
Ah nice! That helps. :)

Thanks mucho for the info.

Back