PC not starting. what should i buy next? urgent help plzz

filmguy

Disciple
my desktop pc is not starting. sometimes the power light at the back comes on, sometimes not.

for a few days it was not coming on then today it did but after few minutes of it working it turned off. now when i try to put it on it makes a high pitched alarm and doesnt come on.

called a repair guy few days back and he said he couldnt make out what the issue was so he suggested changing the cabinet & smps.

i've just changed the psu 6 or so months back -(its a brand call DSP; 450w). the iball cabinet is abt 4 years old). is it a case of poor quality psu or it being underpowered ? (though i dont do any gaming or high cpu intensive computing).

should i buy a new cabinet and psu or just buy the psu first and try with the current cabinet. which cabinet/psu would u guys suggest for my usage & configuration?

i've gone through a few of the threads here and no one has mentioned iball. is it really that bad??

also my cpu fan would really go at a high speed (4000rpm+) even with normal browsing it would be noisy as hell so i used to control it with the speedfan s/w and keep it at 65% (1800rpm). cld this be the cause/can this cause problems? would installing an extra fan in the new cabby help?

thnx guys

1. Q: What is your budget?

1. 4k (for both - cabinet and psu)

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

1. CPU - Intel Pentium D 2.4ghz

2. Motherboard - Intel 801 XXX

3. GPU - NA

4. RAM - 1x1gb, 1x500mb

5. Monitor - viewsonic

6. SMPS & cabinet - iball

7. benq dvd writer

8. hard drives - 1x 160gb WD, 1x 40gb SGT

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

1. CPU - Intel Pentium D 2.4ghz

2. Motherboard - Intel 801 XXX

3. GPU - NA

4. RAM - 1x1gb, 1x500mb

5. Monitor - viewsonic

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name).

1. cabinet - zebronics/coolermaster elite/any other

2. smps - any

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

1. Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months

2. hard disk - 1TB within 2 months

3. RAM - 1GB (maybe)

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

1. Mumbai

2. Open to online purchase

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

1. No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

1. trading

2. Browsing

3. Desktop Processing

4. occasional video conversion (of movie rips)

5. Download rig, 24x7 operation

6. streaming HD movies to ps3

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

1. no

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

1. NA

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1. Desktop - 1440x900

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

1. No

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows xp

Cabby: Zebronics Bijili w/o PSU~1k/CM Elite 310 ~ 1.5k
PSU: FSP SAGAII 350w~1.5k/Zebronics Real watts Pro 350w~1.5k

This should suffice for ur usage.

filmguy said:
for a few days it was not coming on then today it did but after few minutes of it working it turned off. now when i try to put it on it makes a high pitched alarm and doesnt come on.

I seriously think there is a problem with your RAM. Remove the RAM,clean it up and after putting it back try turning the Computer on again. As far as I know Problem with the PSU never manifests itself in alarms. But if that doesn't fix things then I guess do what the repair guy said. Atleast then you'll have someone to blame to if things don't turn on.

^ i'll try that. i've had that issue in the past. though the problem was that for few days that green light at the back that shows the pc is getting power (even when not on) was not on and the pc wasnt even coming on

in psu's are fsp-zebronics-coolermaster on same level or some better than others?

also what secondary case fan do u guys suggest

thnx fr yr suggestions guys.

why is iball not reccomended ?

Rogues said:
I seriously think there is a problem with your RAM. Remove the RAM,clean it up and after putting it back try turning the Computer on again. As far as I know Problem with the PSU never manifests itself in alarms. But if that doesn't fix things then I guess do what the repair guy said. Atleast then you'll have someone to blame to if things don't turn on.

Ya it may be an issue with ram or even mobo .I had faced a similar issue too

Maybe that repair guy maybe just telling to get a new psu just for his profit

filmguy said:
^ i'll try that. i've had that issue in the past.

in psu's are fsp-zebronics-coolermaster on same level or some better than others?

thnx fr yr suggestions guys.

why is iball not reccomended ?
If u are taking about I-Ball PSU's then in short they are cr@p.

FSP is a major PSU OEM and Zebronics Real watts Pro 350w uses a HEC OEM IINM. I would recommend only the zebby Pro series in zebronics PSU's.

The FSP SAGAII 350w even has a 6-pin PCI-E connector and i would any day suggest them over Cooler Master Extreme Power/Exterme Power Plus series. Both these CM series PSU's has poor quality.

well i tried cleaning the ram but after i switched on the mains after once again the green light didnt come on and of course neither did the computer. so i guess i'll try buying a cabby-psu first. hopefully its not the mobo like techno_guy experienced.

also is 350w psu enough in case i hv to change my mobo & fr the few upgrades that i mentioned or should i go for 400w? in which case the fsp 400w is 2k and the gigabyte psu 460w is 2.1k; which is better?

TIA

Gigabyte Superb 460w is a really good PSU & economical too.. If you can push your budget then you should get it since you will have better leverage if you decide to upgrade anytime soon...

A good 350w is a bare min. & should suffice for your current system...

filmguy said:
well i tried cleaning the ram but after i switched on the mains after once again the green light didnt come on and of course neither did the computer. so i guess i'll try buying a cabby-psu first. hopefully its not the mobo like techno_guy experienced.

also is 350w psu enough in case i hv to change my mobo & fr the few upgrades that i mentioned or should i go for 400w? in which case the fsp 400w is 2k and the gigabyte psu 460w is 2.1k; which is better?

TIA
IINM the Gigabyte Superb 460(Its name says 460 but its a 400w one) uses FSP OEM. The Gigabyte one costs just ~Rs.200 more than the SAGAII but offers 3 years warranty against SAGAII's 2 yrs.

As Hailstone says it gives u more headroom for future upgrades.

TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!FSP Saga II 400W Power Supply - TheITWares

TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!Gigabyte 460W Superb Power Supply - TheITWares

As u can see from the specs Giga says 460w as peak wattage and not continuously sustainable max. it can deliver.

thanks DarkAngel, HailStonE, others...

i'm a noob in these matters so things like peak wattage and all are bouncers ;) i guess i'll get the gigabyte in that case. the extra 1 yr of warranty is worth paying a few 100 more

filmguy said:

I don't get it,are you talking about the green light on the front of the case or the green light on the motherboard? If it's the second thing then it's most certainly the power supply (if you are unlucky could be the motherboard.).

^its the green light at the back that comes on when u switch on the mains & remains there as long as the main power is on.

update -- put on the desktop today and it came on :facepalm:

dont know what to do now! if i get case-psu and then turns out its mobo, will hv to make second round of research, etc. wondering whether to upgrade to a AIO now.. but then the existing components that do work will go to waste. what do u guys do with that stuff (other than sell it on TE). is there a local place like in lamington rd that buys second hand peripherals?

If are worried about wastage buying a new P.S.U will not go to waste,I myself have an extra 600W Iball SMPS around just incase. That being said these are not very reliable PSUs. By getting a Gigabyte 460W you'll be making sure that your components are safe.

If you want to troubleshoot it, Keep it running and if it doesn't power down and performs as it should,don't change anything. If you can find another PSU from somewhere.that'd be great. You can try that on with your system. Basic rule of troubleshooting is by elimination, eliminate components until you can narrow it down to one particular component.

Cheers.

^thanx rogues

well in a new twist the desktop was working then i decided to shut down and try it again. the green power standby light at the back was there until i put the mains off and turned it back on and now the pc refuses to start again and the standby light is also not there. maybe it likes to work only once in a day!!

so a new mechanic came & had a look and it turns out that it was the psu. have changed it and now seems to be working fine :crosses finger:

there's a capacitor on the mb thats on its last legs which i'll have repaired at a later stage.

now that i think of it, the issue started a few days after a power fluctuation which happens rarely in my area. should i go in for a UPS? which is a reliable brand, i gues 600w should be enough?

Back