PC overhaul

cranky said:
USB adapters don't allow for antennas. Also very finicky and a little bit unstable. I have four or five of them laying around the house, all are equally useless for anything except web surfing. For file transfer or HD streaming, one needs stable and consistent performance, which I have never got from USB adapters. A wireless G PCI vs USB comparo heavily favours the slot versions - I had a 20-25% increase in usable throughput when using the slot versions. More heat dissipating area, more stable power, and so on. Not so happy with my Belkin N adapter either.

To audio, I have a heavily modded Delta 66 which I use and like very much. Also it has inputs, something I might need for recording. And it performs very well, twelve years after it was created. I need to continue using it.

Could you list out again, chronologically what HAS TO be on PCI.E. This build is interesting.

@asingh.

PCIe x16 + 1 blank slot - 6950

PCIe x16 + 1 blank slot - 6950

PCIe x1 - 300MBPS 2x2:2 adapter wifi

PCI legacy - m-Audio Delta 66

1 free PCIe or PCI slot, preferably PCIe, for Revodrive later.

@Stalker.

My network is N300 and with full N300 throughput I'll be fine. N150 is also OK theoretically for 1080p files. I was looking at some 1080p files and they mostly play fine, though at some times the stream runs out of breath and it breaks. Frankly, this network stutter happens even when playing lesser (240p) files as well, so it's not the streaming load, it's just crappy hardware. And when streaming, the adapter runs really hot. I don't believe plug and play dongles are built for long-term stressful operation, the thermal and engineering envelopes seem too marginal. I have seen some of the better dongles with antennae etc, but I would much rather go with something I know and can rely on. I have built a large collection of USB adapters (and soundcards, hubs etc) which I find are OK for the occasional dust-up but not for sustained long-term use.

As an example, I have a Realtek adapter that shows a connection speed of 150mbs but has actual transfer rate of 1MB/s. The label says 300mbps. My Linksys 54mbps adapter connects at 54mbps, and transfers at 2.5 - 3MB/s. I'm done with cheap nonsense.

1080p rips cannot be streamed by any wireless medium ATM. 802.11n cannot do it. Results iN mass lags and stutters.

You could consider the AX-850 which is essentially the X-850 with the added 2 year warranty for an additional 2000 INR more. Nothing against Seasonic personally (I use the M12D-850 on my main rig!) but the extended warranty is worth the extra monies. :p

Not to flog a dead horse, but
This certainly bodes well for high-def streamers yearning for more wireless bandwidth. The TEW-691GR and TEW-687GA are your best shot yet at 100 Mbps+ wireless bandwidth in locations other than the same room. So let's hear from you brave pioneers who are willing to take the plunge! It will be interesting to see if the warnings are true and three-stream rates will be harder to get when the spectrum gets crowded.
Conclusion from the article I linked to earlier. They get 100mbps+ throughputs. Mighty sufficient for even the highest quality 1080p streams.

802.11n cannot do it. Results iN mass lags and stutters.

Not IME. Yes there is some occasional stutter but this is independent of file size and resolution in my case, so it is some network overhead or hardware quirk, not a bandwidth issue. This is confirmed with the DPC latency that wireless network cards add, and once you add the overhead of USB itself it manifests itself as a problem.

They get 100mbps+ throughputs. Mighty sufficient for even the highest quality 1080p streams.

Yes, the numbers look good.

Stutter is never a numbers problem. Whether in networking or in graphics (the ATI crossfire stutter issue cropped in very capable cards) or indeed in CPU math calculation - remember the 5n bug in Pentium 4. It's usually an implementation issue. In theory even a 54mbps connection is sufficient for a 1MB/s stream, in practice encryption, driver and interface overhead make it impracticable :)

I guess what I'm saying is that it's down to the individual hardware component rather than its classification :)

Update.

Arrived:

1. Sapphire HD6970, 2 units running in CF mode as we speak. Somehow my old TX750 is managing to run these and a mildly overclocked CPU without issues. Quite surprising.

2. Case: Xigmatek Elysium. Must say it's a mixed bag, some good stuff but some is really archaic - the USB 3.0 cabling, the lack of SSD mounting and the very thin panels are a sore point.

In transit:

AMD 965BE, decided to skip this generation of CPUs

To be ordered:

GA-990FXA UD5

Corsair AX850

In future:

Watercooling setup for CPU + 2 GPUs

If you decided to skip the current generation of CPUs, why did you get a 965BE? :S

Congrats on the setup though :)
Some pics would be awesome. That DSLR needs some love!

Not enough light in the world to be able to shoot a black Elysium with black insides, but I'll see what I can do :)

965BE to me is last generation (if you assume BD is new gen for AMD). Plus, it's good enough to tide me over till the middle of 2012 and then I'll probably go for a 'proper' upgrade of the platform. Note that I currently use 550BE. That's much, much slower. I'm not too keen on getting stuck with x8 CF (Intel) or a weak CPU (AMD) so I'll wait till they sort out their respective issues.

Even the 6970 CF is really not up to scratch. It's a bit better than my 4870x2, but I'm not 100% sure it was worth it to switch. Though it gives me about 50-60% more framerate at the same settings, once I turn up the eye candy it drops pretty badly. Plus, those are noisy cards and the watercooling way is really the only solution long-term. Which is why I chose that case.

Far as I'm concerned, only the PSU and the case are long-term buys, the rest of the innards will come and go. Consider my NZXT Zero was purchased in 2008, as was the TX750. It is time for them to ride into the sunset, even though they have been loyal (even if the Zero did result in very hot hard drives till I figured out the issue).

Back