PC Time clock changes everytime?

Hi

I am using Win 7 Ultimate version. The problem is that every time I log on to my PC, the time is changed automatically. It is showing 2-3 days / hours difference evertime. I have tried every method like schronizing with net and manual updation, but it changes every time. I am using MS antivirus on Win7.

I had changed the PC cell recently and it is totally new.

Pls help what could be the problem.

Recheck the CELL (Battery) which you have changed in the mobo. It should be the same as the old one. And also see if any carbon is accumulated on it (motherboard). Clean it with damp cloth and re-fit after few seconds.

Also when you pull out the battery, short the two pins with a screw driver to re-set it. And then put the battery back as always.

Hope this works.

Sounds like the CMOS battery problem. If you changed it recently and the problem surfaced after that, maybe the battery is bad. Or maybe its not seated properly in the board. Try removing and re-inserting the battery. Or try a new battery, they are pretty cheap.

As hellfire have posted, check your cmos battery. Open your cabby and scan your mobo for a button like thing, the size is quite similar to a rs.5/- coin. Next remove it, and clean the battery socket. If possible check the battery with a voltmeter/multimeter, it must show ~3v. If it shows lower voltage, get a new one else reinsert the battery and set the time under bios. That should solve your problem. If the problem persist then your mobo might be the culprit.

techme said:
Also when you pull out the battery, short the two pins with a screw driver to re-set it. And then put the battery back as always.

Ah, I'm not quite sure which pins are you suggesting shorting, but I'd advise against. Loooong back, I shorted two pins on an Asus board to reset the CMOS and ended up with a fried board. Long story short .. I didn't read the mboard manual and there was a specific procedure to do it. So, wihtout knowing the make, model manufacturer of OP's board, I'd suggest OP against shorting any pins.

Cleaning the mboard with a damp cloth doesn't sound like a good idea either.

techme said:
Recheck the CELL (Battery) which you have changed in the mobo. It should be the same as the old one. And also see if any carbon is accumulated on it (motherboard). Clean it with damp cloth and re-fit after few seconds.

Hope this works.
you must be kidding, mate cleaning mobo with damp cloth, have you tried it yet. In my all these years of experience of using pc, i haven't heard of cleaning mobo with water(even with damp cloth).
The main dirt in a mobo are dust, so just blow it off or use a vaccum cleaner for that purpose.

Next why to short the battery pins for resetting, when every mobo either have a cmos_clear jumper or switch. Use that buddy, dont try foolish things you might end up with a dead mobo, or even a whole system.

hellfire said:
Ah, I'm not quite sure which pins are you suggesting shorting, but I'd advise against. Loooong back, I shorted two pins on an Asus board to reset the CMOS and ended up with a fried board. Long story short .. I didn't read the mboard manual and there was a specific procedure to do it. So, wihtout knowing the make, model manufacturer of OP's board, I'd suggest OP against shorting any pins.

Cleaning the mboard with a damp cloth doesn't sound like a good idea either.

How many pins does the CELL (Battery) socket has ? I'm suggesting him to short the (+) and (-) of the battery socket. This is a very normal procedure, technicians do this to clear the CMOS settings to default.

And Regarding damp cloth doesnot mean WET cloth. I have never suggested him to use WET cloth. damp cloth will remove any carbon accumulated on the battery socket pins.

One more thing, battery should be re-fitted after a few seconds and not immediately as i have said earlier also.

But yes all this procedures must be done after plugging out mains plug from the wall socket. Even disconnet the smps from UPS.

I don't find anything wrong in it.

CA50 said:
you must be kidding, mate cleaning mobo with damp cloth...The main dirt in a mobo are dust, so just blow it off or use a vaccum cleaner for that purpose.

Exactly. The only dust I've ever seen is around the fans...for which a damp cloth is a suicide!

I checked the cmos cell and it is OK. I took it out and put it back after few minutes but the problem is still there. I had also cleaned the whole PC with blower (prefered it than a damp cloth) but all in vain.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I had recently got another problem in my PC, asked here:

http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/hp-keyboard-blinks-and-doesnt-work-191648.html

Currently I have replaced the keyboard and it is working fine. Does this problem had anything connected with the above problem.

^^ how old is your mobo, try a CMOS reset and have your checked the CMOS battery with a multimeter, how much voltage is shown??

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

techme said:
How many pins does the CELL (Battery) socket has ? I'm suggesting him to short the (+) and (-) of the battery socket. This is a very normal procedure, technicians do this to clear the CMOS settings to default.
Ask the technician to use the CMOS_clear jumper instead, its far too safe and easy ;)

^^ check the mobo, you will see a jumper, which can clear the BIOS settings, refer your mobo manual for further details :)

techme said:

And Regarding damp cloth doesnot mean WET cloth. I have never suggested him to use WET cloth. damp cloth will remove any carbon accumulated on the battery socket pins.

Ah..the true computer engineer thus speaketh.

OP...don't bring anything wet..sry, "damp" around your board. Blower was a decent attempt but one month young board won't need a blower or a "damp" cloth...this shouldn't be happening with a new board at all..multiple problems on a new board. Did you assemble it yourself? Sounds a deeper problem than just time shift.

Hey, btw..carbon credits are big deal these days..accumulated carbon u c

hellfire said:
Ah..the true computer engineer thus speaketh.

OP...don't bring anything wet..sry, "damp" around your board. Blower was a decent attempt but one month young board won't need a blower or a "damp" cloth...this shouldn't be happening with a new board at all..multiple problems on a new board. Did you assemble it yourself? Sounds a deeper problem than just time shift.

Hey, btw..carbon credits are big deal these days..accumulated carbon u c

Yes I hv assembled the PC myself. I have twice removed the battery (cell) from the PC and inserted back but all in vain. Meanwhile I cleaned the PC from inside and now there is not dust etc. No carbon credits were found in the PC.

Have you replaced the battery with a new one or just putting the old battery back? change the battery, new battery only cost about Rs 10-15 for a pack which has 10 or 20 cells.

If your battery was dead it'd reset to it's original time instead of just 15-20 mins. Check if there's a problem with the time zone or something. Maybe it's a software issue.

First check is the time in the BIOS is as it was set by you. If the BIOS timing is correct as per what you set then it might be something wrong with the OS. Check the time zone settings etc.

Second take the CMOS battery to the nearest Electronic / Electricals store and get it checked with a multimeter (if you do not posses one) if the battery is working fine then no issues or else replace the battery.

Thirdly if the above 2 do not solve the problem reset the CMOS. Resetting the BIOS might be different for different boards. Its better to read your motherboard manual for instructions on how to do it.

Generally you have to place the jumper on the reset pins and power cycle the board once. But read the manual for the correct procedure.

Post back if this solved the problem.

Back