PC Peripherals Pc Troubles!

paur3

Disciple
MY system (amd athlon 1700, 256 mb ram ,) when boots makes a humming sound ;slow and continuos . also shows << PRESS F1 TO EXIT SETUP >>
on the screen its coming after windows reinstallation , i've also disconnected/ disabled my slave drive , b'fore dat.

plzzz hlp!!!

thanx as i've stated my comp boots up with a strange noise , long hummming like sharp noise . then screen shows

"CHECK SYSTEM HEALTH OK"

after that another screen comes with foll msg:

"SECONDRY SLAVE DRIVE - ATAPI INCOMPATIBLE"

PRESS F1 TO RESUME "

it comes with 3 short beeps.
its wat i've observed.

the atapi incompatible is happening coz theres something wrong wid ur hdd... check the cables.. plug em out nd in once bfore booting..

if that doesnt help try changing the channel on which de device is running.. also, open up the cabinet nd listen to ur pc while it boots up.. then try to pinpoint the location from which de noise is being emitted..

Sounds like ur overheating and maybe the fans are gummed up with dust... take a look inside ur pc and see if the fans are dirty. :D if so... take them out and clean'em with an old toothbrush or something.

thanx 4 advice i observed closely and found that sound was comming from dvd drive. also b4 all these troubles started as i've stated in my first post i disabled my CD Drive. i've both DVD COMBO & CD WRITER.
also now another problem is rearing its head . my DVD COMBO has stopped reading DVDs its reading CDs but no DVD i cleaned with LENS CLEANING DVD . i'm thinkin of cleaning its dvd reader" lens" , but hesistant as i donno how.

what do u mean "t does not red DVD's"? what is the error message u r getting? also, what is the time interval between now and the last time ur drive read a DVD?

Are you trying to install a new DVD drive? Or did you have the DVD drive earlier and it's suddenly not working?
How did you "disable" your CD drive? And are you trying to connect the two optical drives on the same ATA data cable?

Keeping your CD drive disabled, I can suggest the following

1> Is your DVD combo drive configured as slave? Check jumper configuration of the optical drive.

2> There might be some loose contact between the ATA cable between your DVD combo drive and motherboard. Check if both ends are secure.

3> Your DVD combo drive might not be getting enough power. Check if the 4 pin power cable going to your DVD drive is tightly connected.

Beeps are usually an indication of poor connection. And it's sometimes hard to troubleshoot. Best thing to do is to remove the data connector at both ends and re-attach it. Repeat with power connector at the DVD combo drive end.

Are you trying to install a new DVD drive? Or did you have the DVD drive earlier and it's suddenly not working?
How did you "disable" your CD drive? And are you trying to connect the two optical drives on the same ATA data cable?

Keeping your CD drive disabled, I can suggest the following

1> Is your DVD combo drive configured as slave? Check jumper configuration of the optical drive.

2> There might be some loose contact between the ATA cable between your DVD combo drive and motherboard. Check if both ends are secure.

3> Your DVD combo drive might not be getting enough power. Check if the 4 pin power cable going to your DVD drive is tightly connected.

Beeps are usually an indication of poor connection. And it's sometimes hard to troubleshoot. Best thing to do is to remove the data connector at both ends and re-attach it. Repeat with power connector at the DVD combo drive end.
i tried all these options but sound is still comming and my dvd/s cannot be read . CDs can be read but DVDs cannot .I've DVD "Master secondry drive " now with CD drive disconnected.
also there is no error message Do u think its related with reader lenses i've not tried cleaning it manually as its still in warranty .

guptaji said:
what do u mean "t does not red DVD's"? what is the error message u r getting? also, what is the time interval between now and the last time ur drive read a DVD?
no error message its over a month .

paur3 said:
i tried all these options but sound is still comming and my dvd/s cannot be read . CDs can be read but DVDs cannot .I've DVD "Master secondry drive " now with CD drive disconnected.
also there is no error message Do u think its related with reader lenses i've not tried cleaning it manually as its still in warranty .

1> Are you getting this error anymore??

2> So your DVD drive can read CDs but not DVDs? Or are you reading the CDs on your CD drive?

Again, is this DVD drive new? Were the DVD and CD drives ever working properly together?

I don't think this has anything to do with the lens. Noise from DVD drive maybe that the drive is faulty or is just not receiving enough power(your power cable/connector may be faulty. You can try changing the power cable that goes to your DVD drive.

Take care of using unbranded DVD / CD cleaners.

Instead of cleaning the lens they scratch it...

Can leave strands of cleaning fibre which adds to dirt on the lens...

1> Are you getting this error anymore??

2> So your DVD drive can read CDs but not DVDs? Or are you reading the CDs on your CD drive?

Again, is this DVD drive new? Were the DVD and CD drives ever working properly together?

I don't think this has anything to do with the lens. Noise from DVD drive maybe that the drive is faulty or is just not receiving enough power(your power cable/connector may be faulty. You can try changing the power cable that goes to your DVD drive

appros. u ppl adviced i cleaned my system with blower. and in all this DVD mess i forgot 2 check that "atapi incompatibl" error is not comming .

actually i've bought my DVD combo 2-3 mths back my CD drive was already installed then, it was old (3-4 yrs ) . after installing DVD combo it worked well4 few dvds . i dont use it after dat . some time back i use but it didnt read DVD. 4 CDs DVD Drive is readin them.
over a month or so i've formatted my HDDs , at dat time old CD dreive was not functioning well. i dunno it was 'coz of new DVD combo or nt , but i disconnected it ,

after dat my system suddenly start giving noises , i reconnected power cable , i dont think its coz power as DVD drive is reading CDs .
its DVD world lense cleaner
there is no error msg as i put DVD into it . it didnt give default open /play file msg . when i click on icon "DVD drive" it suddenly becomes "cd drive " icon . window opens but no file is shown .

i'm think 2 take it 2 shop. it s SONY OEM DVD Combo.:huh:

goto bios and load fail safe options. happened kinda similar to me on a P3, 3 short beeps. went away after fail safe, configured BIOS normally after that. since then no probs.

hen i click on icon "DVD drive" it suddenly becomes "cd drive " icon

It is ok if it does that provided it still does what it is supposed to . my liteon showed up as a cd drive but used to play and write dvd's just fine .

is it the same case with you ?

Yes, the DVD drive showing up as a CD drive should be ok. I really don't think that the CD drive would malfunction because of the DVD combo or vice versa unless you have configured them wrongly using the jumpers(for eg: both as master or both as slave on the same ATA cable or either drive as master with the same ATA cable going to your HDD).

There is a probability that your DVD drive is not working for DVDs but only for CDs due to a lens problem. A blower might not solve the problem. A DVD lens cleaner might just work.

W.r.t the noise, what kind of noise it it? Is it a grinding kind of noise? Or are you talking about beep like noises when you start your PC? Low power to DVD/CD drives sometimes causes the drive to make weird sounds.

Back