Budget 21-30k PC upgrade - Basic Gaming + Image editing

1000CN

Recruit
Q: What is your budget?
20-25K

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
-CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
-Motherboard - Gigabyte M61PME-s2
-GPU - NO, I have a Nvidia Geforce 9400GT 1 GB card that doesn't work
-RAM - Dynet 1 gb DDR 2
-Monitor - LG CRT monitor 17 inch
-SMPS - IBall JSW-252 250W
-HDD - 320GB WD SATA HDD and 160GB Seagate IDE HDD

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
I'll be keeping my LG DVD writer, a 320GB WD SATA HDD and 160GB Seagate IDE HDD, keyboard-mouse

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
well, this is what i'm looking at as of now, suggestions corrections welcome:
CPU - AMD FX4100 Processor
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 Motherboard
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4 GB RAM (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9)

Please suggest an SMPS if the one mentioned above is insufficient.

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
I may increase the RAM in future and may buy a graphic card.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
I plan to buy it from Lamington Road, Mumbai. I'm also open to buy it online from flipkart.com

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming
Browsing
Desktop Processing
Watching movies
Im a hobbyist photographer, so i process my images in batched which weigh about 5-8 GB on adobe photoshop and lightroom.

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
I'm brand loyal towards AMD

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Im not a big gamer. I play games like COD 4-5, CSI, Devil may cry, Batman etc

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Im not really sure of this. Currently, I'm using 1152x864 for my image editing needs.

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Nope.

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit

@1000CN this is what I suggest --

Intel Core i5 3450 ~12000/-
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
Corsair Vengeance 4GB x1 1600MHz ~1700/- [add another 4GB RAM module down the line]
DELL IN2030M ~6500/- OR DELL ST2220L ~8500/- [the latter is a 22" with full HD-support and HDMI connector]
Corsair GS500W OR Seasonic S12II 520W ~4000/-
NZXT Gamma ~2500/-

The IDE hard-drive will be redundant as an internal hard-drive as Intel phased out that connector-standard from its motherboards with the induction of Cougar Point chipset family [H61 / H67 / P67 / Z68 / Q65 / B65]. So buy an internal -->external converter for this and use it as a back up drive.

I know the aforementioned build will over-shoot your budget but it is the best for your needs. Better than contemporary AMD offerings.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

P.S. --> sorry but I forgot to add, welcome to TE, hope you have a pleasant stay.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP's first post and he's getting budget problems.As usual it happens in this section,OP can use his 160gb IDE HDD via IDE to Sata Connector,If OP is not going to get over 10k GPU the Corsair CX430V2 will suffice.If budget is real tight then i3 2120- 6.5k would be a good offering.
1000CN this is what I suggest --

Intel Core i5 3450 ~12000/-
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
Corsair Vengeance 4GB x1 1600MHz ~1700/- [add another 4GB RAM module down the line]
DELL IN2030M ~6500/- OR DELL ST2220L ~8500/- [the latter is a 22" with full HD-support and HDMI connector]
Corsair GS500W OR Seasonic S12II 520W ~4000/-
NZXT Gamma ~2500/-

The IDE hard-drive will be redundant as an internal hard-drive as Intel phased out that connector-standard from its motherboards with the induction of Cougar Point chipset family [H61 / H67 / P67 / Z68 / Q65 / B65]. So buy an internal -->external converter for this and use it as a back up drive.

I know the aforementioned build will over-shoot your budget but it is the best for your needs. Better than contemporary AMD offerings.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

P.S. --> sorry but I forgot to add, welcome to TE, hope you have a pleasant stay.

OP's first post and he's getting budget problems.As usual it happens in this section,OP can use his 160gb IDE HDD via IDE to Sata Connector,If OP is not going to get over 10k GPU the Corsair CX430V2 will suffice.If budget is real tight then i3 2120- 6.5k would be a good offering.

The latency overhead will be too much with a converter, he can use the Western Digital 320GB SATA hard -drive as an OS boot, an the IDE as an external data-dump.

Will not recommend the Core i3 2120; image-editing eats CPU-cores for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. If budget is an issue we can step down to the Core i5 2400 ~10500/-.

1000CN, in new rig your IDE hard drive doesn't fit well, being too slow and small. Just an unsolicited idea: do you have an offsite backup of your images? God forbid,in case of burglary, natural disaster or other accident, if you lose your data ?

Your old HDD can be filled with your precious data using a cheap enclosure , possibly encrypted, and stored at some place a fair distance from your place , maybe a friend/relative's place. Not too reliable as it is old, but a nice cheap off-site backup for you.

Give it a thought.

Hi Amit, i have an external casing for my IDE HDD. I also have sufficient back up of my images in two places. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your suggestions alpha17.

I have my previous cabinet which is not more than six months old, i hope i can continue using that.

I have an external casing which i'll use for the old IDE HDD :)

I'll also look at the intel processor you mentioned.
Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Jakob, i dont think i've mentioned budget problems; that figure was due to the AMD processor that i had in mind. Thank you, for your help though.

Back