PC upgrade!

pEtRa

Disciple
  • Q: What is your budget?
  • Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - P4
    • Motherboard - Asus
    • RAM - Transcend 2 GB
    • Monitor - Dell
    • SMPS - Odyssey
  • Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell
  • Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i5 sandy bridge 2400/3.1 ghz
    • Motherboard - DH67BL
  • Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final
    • SMPS - Seasonic 520W
    • Cabinet - Cooler Master Elite 335
    • RAM - 4GB
  • Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Chennai
  • Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  • Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
  • Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No
  • Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No
  • Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • No
  • Q: Are you looking to overclock?

• No
  • Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows XP

Is my config ok?

i5 2400-10.5k

Intel DH67BL-B3-5.6k

Corsair Xms3 2X2gb 1333mhz-1.5k OR Gskill Ripjaws 2X2gb 1333mhz-1.6k

Seasonic S12ii 430W-3k

Nzxt Gamma-2.4k

Do you have HDD?,if not then get Segate 500gb-4k or get second hand from te market for less price.Also 450W psu would be enough for this rig if you're not gonna add gpu.Also this psu will be able to handle gpu till hd 6870.

Tx.

I have a foot pedal with 9 pin COMM port connected to PCI slot in my old machine. Can I use the same PCI card wtih comm port in DH67BL-B3 ??

or is here any converters from 9 pin to USB ???

help.

Can you post the image of pci card you're using,the h67bl-b3 has a pci slot so i think the pci card will work.
Tx.

I have a foot pedal with 9 pin COMM port connected to PCI slot in my old machine. Can I use the same PCI card wtih comm port in DH67BL-B3 ??

or is here any converters from 9 pin to USB ???

help.

I just saw the pic of 67BL and it has a PCI slot, so I guess it will work. I got following quote:

Intel i5 2400 - 10,500

Intel DH67BL B3 - 5,300

Seasonic S12 II 520W - 3,750

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - 2,155

Cooler Master Elite 335 Tower - 2,185

Corsair 4GB RAM - 1150

Total - 25k

Prices ok, before I pull the trigger?

Yeh, for that budget.. NZXT beats CM in looks
<

Nzxt is designed for gamers, no?

Said that, I don't play games or watch HD movies at all. The number of fans (6) is making me dizzy, i mean, if i dont put fans in all of them, won't it be a gateway to dust? That's the only reason am opting the CM.

Who said that nzxt is for gamers,you can also use it,it has very good airflow and spacing,you can add 2X120mm fans to get the great airflow,otherwise don't add the fans.

Said that, I don't play games or watch HD movies at all. The number of fans (6) is making me dizzy, i mean, if i dont put fans in all of them, won't it be a gateway to dust? That's the only reason am opting the CM.

Well due to the following set of reasons --
  • There is a better design philosophy behind the NZXT Gamma, on first glance the unorthodox façade certainly puts off people. The front design allows the front 120mm fan to have a lot more surface area to suck in more air.
  • All black interiors vis-a-vis non painted interiors on the eLite offerings.
  • Better cable routing possibilities than the Cooler Master eLite 430, also the eLite 430 has serious shortcomings when it comes to cable arrangement, the rear-top CPU socket area has no very poor design and cannot facilitate cable routing.
  • Better fan placement options on the NZXT Gamma.

Hope this is enough to convince you about the NZXT Gamma. Cheers!!

Well due to the following set of reasons --
  • All black interiors vis-a-vis non painted interiors on the eLite offerings.
  • Better fan placement options on the NZXT Gamma.

Hope this is enough to convince you about the NZXT Gamma. Cheers!!

I dont know much

Please tell me how is all black interior better than unpainted one?

Is it that black absorbs more heat?

Also like OP said, if he is not going to put extra fans then arent those extra holes gateways to dust? are they still better than lesser holes?

I dont know much

Please tell me how is all black interior better than unpainted one?

Rust and humidity can affect any component of the computer, even the motherboards and processor. Now if they are vulnerable to rust, guess what simple humidity will do to exposed aluminium / steel alloy if it is operating at temperatures ~50 -- 70 °C oxidation is possible, even high end components like third-party HSF face this issue.

Hope this explains the situation better, plus it looks cooler.

Is it that black absorbs more heat?

Nada, in that case the cabinet will become hotter and the components will also face this issue.

Also like OP said, if he is not going to put extra fans then arent those extra holes gateways to dust? are they still better than lesser holes?

Yes and No, well I will list the advantages and dis-advantages --

ADVANTAGES
  • Starting the airflow options are better than the Cooler Master eLite series cabinet. As the OP correctly pointed out it is made for the gamer on a budget, while the eLite series is a box with a few frills inside it.
  • The cutouts are larger and better placed to facilitate cable-routing.
  • More fan positions for setting up a positive or negative pressure airflow easily.

DISADVANTAGES
  • More fans means more dust entry points.
  • Only the front intake has dust-filters.
  • If cable routing is not properly implemented on the reverse side of the motherboard-plate, the cabinet will not close.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Hello:

Intel DH67BL B3 - Please let me know where it's available.

If B3 not available, can I go with DH67BL ?

What's that B3 version?

1ign13.gif

Update:

I got some very nice quote from SMC International, less than IT Depot. Is it safe to purchase all products I mentioned from SMC? Have folks here bought from SMC, and happy?

1ign13.gif

smc is a very reputed site for buying pc peripherals.. u can obviously go for it.. also, for downloading + processing, intel core i5 2400 is an overkill imo..

you can get:-

AMD A6-3650 @ 6500

Gigabyte GA-A55M-S2H @ 4800

Corsair 4GB DDR3 Value RAM @ 1200

Corsair CX430V2 @ 2300

nzxt gamma @ 2500

lg ODD @ 1000

total:- rs.18300

now, the on-chip gpu on a6-3650(hd 6530D) can take care of your hd movies easily and can even let you play some games at mild settings.. its a quad core so will help you in doing multitasking.. with the leftover.57k, you can look for a decent speakers + wireless keyboard mouse combo..

edit:- leftover 3.7k..

Back