Storage Solutions PCI SSD on Intel DB75en

Hi ,
I am using a desktop with Intel DB75en motherboard. My conventional HDDs are dead and now I must go for a new Bootable disk. I wish to switch to SSD (preferably a samsung M2 card).
Is there any option for me (other than SATA) interface with the current MB which has some PCI and PCI express slots?
I am confused how to pluging the same and if yes, will it bootable with the ssd?

If I am not able to boot from PCI E ssd, then other option is SATA SSD. Does it make real difference between sata mechanical HDD and sata SSD in performance?

I ordered a WD sata SSD (120 GB). I will go for this as of now since I have a NAS for data backup in the network. Thanks for replies from forum members.

You will need to do SATA only for now. Ideally, get the Samsung 860, its far better than the rest. However, if you want to limit your budget for starting, the WD is a good place to start.

Currently I have a WD SSD of 120 GB on my PC. I plan to have a Raid disk on the PC as a backup. Will it make any difference if I have the second disk as normal HDD or ssd is must?

Currently I have a WD SSD of 120 GB on my PC. I plan to have a Raid disk on the PC as a backup. Will it make any difference if I have the second disk as normal HDD or ssd is must?
The WD SSD is the OS drive and you want to RAID that one?
Might not be possible at least on Windows storage spaces. As for drive types/capacities it doesn't matter but lets say you have 1 TB of space which you need to be mirrored. For that you need another drive with at least 1 TB for two-way mirror.

I have 2x8 TB drives set up for data backups after a 4 TB went bust.

upload_2018-11-4_0-25-34.png

IMHO if your data backup need is satisfied by 120 GB I would say use Beyond Compare for daily/weekly sync with a portable HDD

The WD SSD is the OS drive and you want to RAID that one?
Might not be possible at least on Windows storage spaces.
This means, we dont have an option to have WinOS disk to be mirrored.
Currently I run only installed programs. And all the data is backed up on a synology NAS.

After changing to SSD, I see very significant performance improvements especially booting and shutting down durations are only few seconds now. And no "gear shifting" sounds from the PC as SSD is super silent.

This means, we dont have an option to have WinOS disk to be mirrored.
Currently I run only installed programs. And all the data is backed up on a synology NAS.

After changing to SSD, I see very significant performance improvements especially booting and shutting down durations are only few seconds now. And no "gear shifting" sounds from the PC as SSD is super silent.
I use the Windows backup feature to maintain an OS image of the C drive which is refreshed every Friday. It has saved me from fresh Windows reinstall a couple of times. Please note that I have moved the Libraries(Documents/Downloads etc.) from the C drive to my mirrored volume which have the videos/pic/docs etc. This ensures that the OS image contains only Windows and installed programs for a smaller footprint.

I guess you can do the same so that your Windows as well as installed programs settings can be recovered smoothly in case of OS corruption.

https://www.backblaze.com/pc-backup.html

Moving to SSD for the first time seems a bit strange when your PC boots up so damn fast.:)

Last edited:

Welcome to SSD land :D now you wont ever want to go back to mechanical disks (as boot/OS drives at least) even though you can still use their large capacity for storage of media/games etc.

Back