PC Peripherals PCI TV Tuner card OR USB Tv Tuner card?

maheshr

Disciple
I need a tv tuner card. which type to buy? PCI TV Tuner card OR USB Tv Tuner card?
my max budget will be 2k. Is it possible to watch tv in my pc while downloading at the same time?

U mean recording and not downloading, rite?

Well, u can go for PCI ones, they are cheaper and better.
U can watch and record simultaneously, using two tuners but not using only one. :cool2:

huh.... Most of the pci tvtuner cards can double up as video capture cards... like pinnacle PCTV series.... and some offer hardware compression also which reduces load on CPU and offer better recording quality. AND You do not need two tuners to do it... but you would be able to record only the channel you are currently viewing....

Coming to original question... Viewing TV using a TV tuner on pc will be just like another application and your downloads won't be affected... infact you can reduce the window size for your TV broadcast and work normally on your PC while wathing TV (PIP type). Infact while writing this post, I'm watching IPL on my PC. See the attached image. (The black window is TV window, black due to bad screen capture).
View attachment 7153
I don't have much idea about USB tuners but will try to post some info regarding that.

Attachments

• screenshot.JPG
    screenshot.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 75
You do not need a tv tuner card to record tatasky transmission though a tv tuner card can also do it. Basically what you need is a video capture card.

but video capture cards are expensive :p

asianet is a cable ISP which has also started trying out digital TV over their existing cable network.

just buy any TV tuner , and use the video out of the STB, and connect it to the video in of the card.

if you plan to use a single connection for internet and TV ( you cable pirate :p) , then you'll need to use a splitter.

asianet will not do this for you. chances are , they will insist that you take seperate connections for tv and internet ( and legally, you ought to )

but yes, you can use the same connection for internet and tv, and use it at the same time. But you'll need to get the wiring done from elsewhere

Well the tvtuner card whether it is external (USB port) or internal makes no difference... you will get both with similar features... and if you are gonna record lots of programs take one with hardware encoding.... and if you want to record a program while watching other channel take one with two tuners... stay away from tv tuner boxes which just uses the monitor and bypasses your pc..

Back