Graphic Cards PCIE card - how to test failure?

Kneo

Adept
I am running the following box (only necessary details mentioned)

1. Gigabyte G31M-S2L
2. Dell 2209WA
3. Leadtek 7600GS PCIE card
4. Intel C2D E7300

I'd connected my PCIE card to the Dell using DVI-D and it was running perfectly with the onboard VGA disabled. Yesterday when the box suddenly hung and on restart the CMOS screen started displaying strange characters (spelling mistakes - characters being replaced by other chars or symbols, etc.). The OS failed to load in normal mode. It worked in Safe mode though. I've removed the 7600GS nVidia drivers and then it booted in normal mode.
But as soon as I installed the drivers again from the CD, it just hung after a few minutes and the same problem started all over again. I'm currently using the onboard GPU and still have the PCIE card in the slot and connected to the monitor.

Is there anyway to test the card using some software? I don't have access to another box. I guess currently since I have enabled the onboard GPU, the card may have been disabled but it shows up in Everest Ultimate Edition.

Please help out. TIA

I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago with my pov 7600gs. I think your video ram is gone. System would only boot in safe mode, screen was garbled at boot.
I downclocked the ram using nvidias control panel (when I somehow managed to get the system to boot in xp..i changed the resolution to 640*480 to get it to boot), and after i did that I could increase the resolution to normal, (1680*1050) and it would run fine. I then edited my video card bios, and reset the ram clock rate to a lower value, and I could use the card for a few more days, but it progressively got worse.
When you remove the nvidia drivers our screen resolution gets set to a lower value 800*600...so that may be why you can boot into xp after uninstalling the drivers.

My card died toward the end of it's warranty so I didn't mind playing around with the bios, but if you've still got warranty then rma it.

I think (!!) I am having the card since more than 3 yrs now. Not sure whether Leadtek does give such warranties. I think the card has died (this was a company-oc'd card).

Will have to start looking for a new card soon. Actually I don't play high-end games - am more into watching movies on my comp. Maybe something around 5K would suffice, ain't it?

Back