CPU/Mobo Pentium D on Pentium 4 motherboard

Xaero

Disciple
Hey guys,
I have an Asus P5gdc- deluxe and a pentium 4 cpu. My friend got a new core 2 duo yesterday and so he gave me his old Intel Pentium D (I guess its called Dual core).
Now the question is, Will the Pentium D be compatible with my Pentium 4 mobo. I have heard that Pentium 4 is some what equal to pentium D only that it has 2 cores extra..
Someone help me out fast! I need to do this for a project and I'm on a tight budget!
Thanks TE members =)

It might work.

Firstly, Pentium D's are not Dual Cores (not related to the Core2Duo, Core i5/i7 technology), they are technically Dual Pentium 4s which means it will only have one physical core extra. Secondly, Pentium Ds have a FSB of 800Mhz which is supported by your motherboard, so it might work.

Ask your friend if you can 'try' the processor before officially taking it.

Hey RD274,

You just gave me some hope to play GTA 4 without lag! =)

Yeah, The processor is mine..So, I'm going to try it out now in like 5mins.

If it works..I will post it here! thank bro!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

RD274 said:
It might work.

Firstly, Pentium D's are not Dual Cores (not related to the Core2Duo, Core i5/i7 technology), they are technically Dual Pentium 4s which means it will only have one physical core extra. Secondly, Pentium Ds have a FSB of 800Mhz which is supported by your motherboard, so it might work.

Ask your friend if you can 'try' the processor before officially taking it.
But my only fear is that will it blow up or something?

If it does, then I am not risking it!

Xaero said:
Hey RD274,
You just gave me some hope to play GTA 4 without lag! =)
Yeah, The processor is mine..So, I'm going to try it out now in like 5mins.
If it works..I will post it here! thank bro!

But my only fear is that will it blow up or something?
If it does, then I am not risking it!
Lag? It will still lag man :lol:. I had a Pentium D 925 3.0 Ghz, and even after overclocking it to 3.8Ghz it could barely handle GTAIV on medium graphics.

It won't explode. It simply won't start up.

Oh you have the ancient 8 series which was among the first few Pentium Ds to be launched. Try your luck mate ... if it doesn't work then put ur old processor back.
You might require the latest BIOS too. Go on your motherboard support page and download the latest BIOS too.

I had a intel D925 something dual core cpu, way back when multiple cores were introduced in 2005. and it didnt worked on P4 motherboard I was using, intel 915GV

Oh! All you guys! thanks for the reply! I will post the results in like 5 hours! I have AIEEE/IIT classes now :(

Hey guys,

Guess what?

I blew it..The Pentium D fits perfectly..but It overheated...It did not load.

The BIOS was already the latest.

but when I replace it with my P4 back...the computer shuts down after or in-between the XP loading screen

So, I set the CPU clock speed back to default, i.e 3.00GHz.

It is still causing a problem

Please help me out guys!

thanks! =)

Back