Performance machine (55-60k)

nikhilthecupid

Disciple
What's your Budget?

55-60k

What will be your primary usage for the notebook be?

Running various emulation softwares(android sdk, ios sdk and bada), Visual c++ and other resource hungry programming related apps like eclipse, etc.playing HD rips of movies

What size and weight considerations do you have?

15 inch or lesser

Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest?

I don't like HP as my recent experience is that they have sub-par cooling system as compared to dell and sony.

I do prefer dell as their home service is fabulous.

Any other considerations?

yes, battery life should be atleast 2:30 +

Matte will be preferred but glossy is also fine

Laptop should have good cooling system. Should be able to survive atleast 2 years. It should have enough juice to handle emulation softwares.

I will be installing windows 7, ubuntu and also plan to install mac on it for ios development.

Till now, My eyes are glued to xps 15. Is it worth going for fhd screen?

XPS 15 is indeed the right choice :)

Configure it with i7 2630qm, 4gb ram(upgrade to 8 gb yourself as its cheaper that way than getting from dell), Nvidia Gt525M (If you game then get Nvidia Gt540m but since you have not mentioned gaming so I would say stick with 525m).

As for FHD, yes its a worthy upgrade and you will benefit from extra real estate in addition to the amazing quality.

But I think all this will cross 60k, so you need to decide whether or not you want the FHD screen

Eclipse needs ram. Really a lot of ram the more you have the better it is. Specifically if you run it on Windows 7 you will need the ram.

raj_pol said:
Eclipse needs ram. Really a lot of ram the more you have the better it is. Specifically if you run it on Windows 7 you will need the ram.

How much RAM in all are we talking about? Total 6GB / 8GB?

I confirmed from customer care that it has 1 stick of 4GB so I will upgrade later on. I added backlit keyboard, 9 cell battery and sound blaster (now 59k).

FHD will overshoot budget by 5k. I know FHD screen is really good but is normal 720p screen that bad? I mean it will be fine if its like the screen HP gives.

I won't be gaming that much. I might play games like Sims sometimes but nothing GPU intensive.

By the way any downside of this laptop except being a bit heavy?

one upgrade u can go for if budget in not issue and ur priority is not gaming, a better CPU can increase the performance , i7-2720QM

Back