PC Peripherals Personal [Computer] Theater !! ;)

Hello Friends,
I just thought about starting a post where everyone could describe how they make their PC a Home theater :D.
When u guys watch movies on your PC... how do you give that theater effect... what speakers u use,monitor.. your speaker arrangement, room lighting, what software u use to view movies and other etc factors, which contribute in giving that ultimate experience of a theater on your PC :)

Please tell only about computers, not television home theaters... :hap2:

Well to start with it i got this 19 inch LCD from Samsung [Syncmaster 940BW] and my MX5021 which give a very good picture quality and sound experience respectively, for enjoying movies like i enjoy them in a theater. I make my room totally dark, try to stop every other noise as much as i can, my speaker arrangement is shown in my rig pictures and i use VLC player most of the times to watch the movies and Power DVD when i watch a DVD. While using VLC Player I use the "soft rock" equalizer settings most of the times or just disable it. Thats about it i guess. I am always so exultant when ever my bed or my furniture vibrates while watching the movie lol .You guys can comment on how to improve the "Theater" performance and please also give the details how u make your Personal Computer a Personal Theater!! :cool2:

P.S.: Always Watch Original DVD's and VCD's to get the ultimate experience.. Stop Piracy !! :tongue:

I make my room totally dark, .....

Everything is fine, but take care of your precious eyes. Use any soft or ambient lighting. Dark room creates unnecessary strain on your eyes which should be avoided. :)

Ratna333 said:
Everything is fine, but take care of your precious eyes. Use any soft or ambient lighting. Dark room creates unnecessary strain on your eyes which should be avoided. :)

+1 for that...

Best is to place a soft light behind the monitor, so that there isn't a sharp contrast between the bright monitor and the dark wall. This contrast is what puts the maximum strain on the eyes.

Also, vibrating furniture is not good :p It might start rattling, and ruin the sound.

I use a Samsung 20inch TFT monitor along with my Altec Lansing 641 speakers which are rated at 400RMS watts and were one of the worlds best multimedia speakers around 3-4 years ago when i bought them..

I can't really watch a 2 hour movie, sitting on a chair in front of my computer. I prefer to watch sitting on a sofa, or lying down on the bed :bleh:

now who told you that we watch the movie sitting on a chair?????i watch it on my bed...thats how you have to arrange your room....

hmm ok so from now on i will put sum soft light around my pc...[might as well look good too lol]

@ zhopudey

it doesn't vibrate that hard.. jus that when the beats come i can feel them :p hehe

@hitman

i also can't watch sitting on my chair.. i usually sit on my bed.. or lie down.. :p and my bed is placed right in front of my pc... for example

imagine this..

cross sectional view

|| --- :D hehe

PC BED

and there is no tv in my room... and anyways i spend more time on my pc than watching tv.. so am happy wid my pc in my room hehe

superczar said:
d-uh...don't tell me you really think they are 400W RMS

hahahaha....if you are saying that they are +-10% of the rated level then thats ok...but if you are seriously doubting its capabilities then i assume that you have not personally heard them????nor read its reviews....i have never been able to play them more than 60% of the total volume....and once when i tried it put a crack on a window showcase just opposite the woofer wall which was around 20feets away....it owns all the sonys, phillips etc 7500 PMPO watts speakers at half of its volume level....and if you read its reviews you will know that they are not just about volume...ofcourse they are not for audiophiles, but are one of the best speakers for gaming and movies...bought them for Rs. 20000 around 4 years ago, with the first credit card that i owned... :)

I have a Viewsonic VG1930WM and aLtec Lansing ATP3. Generally I prefer watching movies with my headphones (sony MDX-1000) because, nothing comes close to headphones in clarity (except IEMs).

I generally prefer 720p videos as those give the best size/quality balance. Also, I watch movies sitting in a neelkamal chair with a table lamp turned towards the wall.

superczar said:
I'd make it +-70%

then you seriously have no idea what are you talking about, do you even know which speakers we are talking about here????the product has been discontinued about 3 years ago, so are you sure you have ever heard about it???have you seen the physical dimensions of its subwoofer???? and lastly i am more than 100% sure that you havent ever heard it playing....just posting here to increase your post counts????:bleh:

Mine is here: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/584057-post79.html

I only use it for music, though. Leaning back in a bean bag right between the speakers. Not much of a movie guy at all. I do have MPC setup on the PC for the occasional movie, my Sony HTIB is lying unused and reboxed because I watch like one movie a month, maybe less. So I end up watching movies in broad daylight with light reflecting off the TV, and I don't mind.

But for music I even switch off the ceiling fans. It's really serious for me.

Oh yeah, that amp I built can really put out 300 watts RMS per channel, and those speakers are good for 130dB average levels. Enough to make you partially deaf in under a minute.

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I've heard and beat pretty hard on a 641, they're very nice speakers but I'm not sure they can blow anything up except themselves, the woofer really has to strain to put out any real bass above 30-40% volume. It's just distorting. That sounds like real bass but it's really not. Same with most 2.1 systems (maybe apart from the promedia 2.1), they sound like they have lots of bass but it's really mostly second and third harmonic distortion above a certain level. A sad fact with 6.5" speakers. Usually correctable with multiple or bigger drivers.

sangram said:
Mine is here: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/584057-post79.html

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I've heard and beat pretty hard on a 641, they're very nice speakers but I'm not sure they can blow anything up except themselves, the woofer really has to strain to put out any real bass above 30-40% volume. It's just distorting. That sounds like real bass but it's really not. Same with most 2.1 systems (maybe apart from the promedia 2.1), they sound like they have lots of bass but it's really mostly second and third harmonic distortion above a certain level. A sad fact with 6.5" speakers. Usually correctable with multiple or bigger drivers.

I may agree with you what you said, i have already said that they are not for audiophiles, but they are great for gaming and movies where you need to feel that thump. Plus there is no doubting its volume levels which is what czar is doing....And if you heard them you would agree that they do pack a punch as far as games and movies are concerned.

Back