Personal data privacy concern - selling cellphone

Chhotu uttam

Disciple
Main thread link >> https://techenclave.com/threads/asus-zenfone-max-pro-m1-sold.200478/

So let me clear up the Air.
I was contacted by the OP regarding the zenfone which is smoothly purchased from me. Deal with fine and OP received the phone on Satruday evening, where he told me he was not content with the phone's camera and wanted to return the phone. However, since the issue seemed to be mostly software related and image quality/autofocus not being up to par as per his standards, I didn't uphold his request for return.

Now I see OP posting the phone for resell and selling it for higher than what he got for (Rs.4500 + Rs.100 shipping). But what erks me the most is that I shared my original bill with the OP with my contact information on it, and now he's sharing it with some random third party as if there's nothing wrong. OP if you see this, please do share my details with other people just for the sake of reselling things and making a quick buck.

P.S. this isn't the first time I have seen people buying and selling stuffs over this forum. Previously, another person had bought RAM from me and sold it here for a mark-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Selling used mobile phones shouldn't be done in such a way where original buyer is at risk. The IMEI associated with the mobile is still registered under your name @Chhotu uttam so if you decide to resell you should ask for the buyers Photo ID proof as well as preferably make an affidavit on a cheap stamp paper stating that the sale is made and any and all responsibility of the mobile phone or any misuse for this IMEI would not be your responsibility anymore and the buyer would be responsible for it. This might require a help of a lawyer but I've seen cases where mobile phone is misused or resold further and then misused and the original buyer gets in trouble.
I know this seems like a hassle where the buyer may not cooperate but that's how you can be safe.

Just a cautionary advise to anyone being involved in selling first hand mobile phones.

Now I see OP posting the phone for resell and selling it for higher than what he got for (Rs.4500 + Rs.100 shipping).
He did list Rs. 4500 as the price for local buyers, so probably the extra is for shipping? I don't know about that. But have to say this whole thing could have been handled better since OP was one for transparency (going by a different post/thread); though he did clarify some things in his reply to enthusiast29 earlier.

Last edited:
Selling used mobile phones shouldn't be done in such a way where original buyer is at risk. The IMEI associated with the mobile is still registered under your name @Chhotu uttam so if you decide to resell you should ask for the buyers Photo ID proof as well as preferably make an affidavit on a cheap stamp paper stating that the sale is made and any and all responsibility of the mobile phone or any misuse for this IMEI would not be your responsibility anymore and the buyer would be responsible for it. This might require a help of a lawyer but I've seen cases where mobile phone is misused or resold further and then misused and the original buyer gets in trouble.
I know this seems like a hassle where the buyer may not cooperate but that's how you can be safe.

Just a cautionary advise to anyone being involved in selling first hand mobile phones.

[emoji1787] [emoji1787]

Really this is how this works?

There is nothing with the seller its the buyer who should be cautious what if the seller selling stolen phone police never ask for the real buyer they catches the one who is using and whose number is registered while tracing the stolen phone. So buyer is the one who needs what all u said affidavit, ID.

BTW why u have a problem him selling this phone ?

I don't get time much to visit this forum and read all the nonsensical posts. Also, one shouldn't respond to these asinine remarks either. But a few things need to be cleared here.

1. I purchased the phone from chhottu uttam for Rs. 4600 (4500 was sent on 17th Aug., which is 100% payment in advance, from a seller with whom I didn't even deal before). I told him to ship the phone with Speed post to save on shipping, but next day he informed me that post office won't take electronic items, so he went ahead with DTDC, who as usual charged exorbitantly for it. I remain busy in hospital in day hours, so by the time I came home it was evening, and that's when I noticed that the seller shipped the phone already with DTDC. Had I read his messages the moment he sent them I would have asked him to not ship it at all.

The remainder Rs. 100 was sent yesterday (22nd Aug). Even though I clearly said I wouldn't pay more than 4500, but post shipping seller said to split shipping 50-50, to which I said I won't pay more than 100 for shipping.

2. Anyway, after receiving the phone I simply took a photo of a document and found the camera to be blurry. Went on XDA and checked some threads and didn't find any solution or alike reports either. Took a few more photos of more documents and it was the same. It was clear that the phone would have no use for me.

So I messaged the seller yesterday morning, requesting him to take the phone back. He replied return is hassle and that he doesn't do returns. I informed him that the loss would be mine as I would have asked him refund after deducting the shipping, i.e 4500-375-my own shipping. But as he didn't agree to I obviously posted ads of the phone on OLX and thereafter here.

I sold the phone yesterday for Rs. 4600 to a local buyer. So let's go over the monetary gain part. I paid 4600 for it. And I sold it for Rs. 4600. Umm...?

3. Now about the most important part wherein Chottu Uttam said, sharing his personal info. found on the invoice with another buyer. I am not sure how someone doesn't have the basic idea that the moment a seller pays for an item in full, the transfer of ownership from buyer/ merchant to seller is undertaken. The seller doesn't hold any legal rights to the said product or its accessories, obviously the invoice included. On 17th Aug. the moment I paid him in full the phone was not his anymore. I am entitled to sell the phone to whomever I wish. Of course I take the ID card of the local buyers when deal is in cash, but that's my personal way of doing things, not that anyone else should be concerned with the same. Hence, Uttam's remarks are extremely childish and immature. Lack of basic knowledge is apparent.

4. Now regarding not informing the buyer from Odisha who lectured about moral obligation- What moral obligation is he on about exactly? Just a message that I will buy your phone and pay you tomorrow, that's it? Without any advance/ token amount there's no obligation, moral or otherwise. What would have happened if I waited for him and he backed off at last moment? I have lost count exactly how many times this has happened before.

A complete waste of my 10 mins writing the above. From here on out I need to be more careful it seems. Replying to every DM even the ones which I didn't need to, responding to every message, these all needs to be parted with. Thank you all for once again reminding me true mindset.

Didn't this forum have a rule of no OT posts on sale threads at first place?

Last edited:
3. Now about the most important part wherein Chottu Uttam said, sharing his personal info. found on the invoice with another buyer. I am not sure how someone doesn't have the basic idea that the moment a seller pays for an item in full, the transfer of ownership from buyer/ merchant to seller is undertaken. The seller doesn't hold any legal rights to the said product or its accessories, obviously the invoice included. On 17th Aug. the moment I paid him in full the phone was not his anymore. I am entitled to sell the phone to whomever I wish. Of course I take the ID card of the local buyers when deal is in cash, but that's my personal way of doing things, not that anyone else should be concerned with the same. Hence, Uttam's remarks are extremely childish and immature. Lack of basic knowledge is apparent.

As far as legal, how the **** are you the owner of the invoice? The invoice is there to prove that I am the official owner of the goods. It does not grant you the right to exploit my privacy in any sorts.
In no way, whatsoever, you are entitled to use an invoice generated in my name. Technically, there should be a new invoice generated to prove the transaction, but that's besides the point.

No one's going on the legal aspects of this transaction, every opines that such behaviour is unethical and does not seem to board well with the community. Also, aren't you the same guy with the name ithehappy who was banned on erodov for practicing such behaviour in the first place?

Technically, there should be a new invoice generated to prove the transaction, but that's besides the point.

Then why didn't you do that. You very well know that no one in their right mind is going to go through all the legal maneouvers to transfer ownership for something as cheap as a 4500 bucks phone. Everyone does that for vehicles they buy second hand and there is even a proper procedure for that. There is a reason why second hand sales for daily use items happens the way it does and this happens all over the world. Ideally, a product invoice shouldn't have a buyer's address and usually when you buy something offline, it doesn't have one's address. For online shopping, if you are really that paranoid about your privacy, then don't sell items which have your address in the invoice as, unfortunately in India, we still need to provide invoice for warranty purposes at most locations. So you will have to share the invoice and hence your address, if you sell something like that. There is nothing either OP or anyone else can do about that.

As far as legal, how the **** are you the owner of the invoice? The invoice is there to prove that I am the official owner of the goods. It does not grant you the right to exploit my privacy in any sorts.
In no way, whatsoever, you are entitled to use an invoice generated in my name. Technically, there should be a new invoice generated to prove the transaction, but that's besides the point.

No one's going on the legal aspects of this transaction, every opines that such behaviour is unethical and does not seem to board well with the community. Also, aren't you the same guy with the name ithehappy who was banned on erodov for practicing such behaviour in the first place?
How old are you? Like I said, the product along with all its by products were ceased to be yours the moment I paid you in full. Of course, one has to put the transfer of ownership in a stamp paper to make it wholly legal but I don't think anyone does that especially considering the distance factor. Therefore, you don't have any say in anything pertaining to the mobile phone or its invoice. Your contract with Flipkart was valid as long as you possessed the phone, which stopped on 17th Aug, '21.

Regarding my username ithehappy, yes, I am ithehappy everywhere, along with Erodov and many other forums. I am not banned anywhere except this forum only. Memory doesn't server much but I had 25+ feedback on E when it was closed. And about practicing such behaviour, stop seeing your own reflections upon others.

Cannot believe the amount of irrelevant discussions going on here! If I did this on someone else's topic I am sure I would have been banned by now.

PS: I see that I received a +1 feedback as a buyer. I request Admin to have that removed at once.

Technically you shouldn't have sell the phone in first place.

Lol. You shared the invoice with the buyer.. you didn’t care about the privacy part then.. self invasion seemed okay just to increase value or probability of quick sale i guess..

What did you expect, the seller to not resell the phone ever until its dead? Like it proved that its your own phone, having the original purchase invoice gives somewhat authenticity that the phone certainly isn’t stolen and has been sold by the original or previous owners with required paperwork(invoice).

Just assume for this situation that the device had warranty on it, claims under which require an invoice normally.. wouldn’t the invoice have exchanged hands multiple times whenever it was resold to a new owner or your logic just allows a single sale from first owner to second??

Lol. You shared the invoice with the buyer.. you didn’t care about the privacy part then.. self invasion seemed okay just to increase value or probability of quick sale i guess..

What did you expect, the seller to not resell the phone ever until its dead? Like it proved that its your own phone, having the original purchase invoice gives somewhat authenticity that the phone certainly isn’t stolen and has been sold by the original owner with required paperwork(invoice).

Just assume for this situation that the device had warranty on it, claims under which require an invoice normally.. wouldn’t the invoice have exchanged hands multiple times whenever it was resold to a new owner or your logic just allows a single sale from first owner to second??
As long as it for genuine cause like claiming warranty or claims, then it is fine.

However, if the whole purpose of it is to flip things, then of course I wouldn't have shared the invoice in the first place.

The privacy concern relates only to such type of actions. Do not take it as an extreme view that it applies to all instances.

As long as it for genuine cause like claiming warranty or claims, then it is fine.

However, if the whole purpose of it is to flip things, then of course I wouldn't have shared the invoice in the first place.

The privacy concern relates only to such type of actions. Do not take it as an extreme view that it applies to all instances.

Buddy, i don’t think one can micro manage or have control over others actions once the item is sold.. whether he sold it immediately or could have after a few months.. the end result would have still been the same.

On the other side, he did ask you if you would accept a return, you had a chance to take care of all such concerns then.. didn’t you? You denied and that was logically correct, you denied. He offloaded the device to someone else… pls move on..

Technically, there should be a new invoice generated to prove the transaction, but that's besides the point.

Not taking sides here but this statement seems tooo rubbish.. if the original invoice is still not included/handed over(which is your purpose of stating this i think), you would then like a genius be able to get/generate an invoice for a stolen, smuggled phone etc..

I hope you haven’t yet bought a property under resale. If you have i assume, to cater to your privacy violation concerns, the first sale deed/agreement isn’t held by you with address, financial value, transaction details, pan card, finger print, etc and what not of the original seller..

I simply took a photo of a document and found the camera to be blurry. Went on XDA and checked some threads and didn't find any solution or alike reports either. Took a few more photos of more documents and it was the same.
This should have been mentioned in the reason for sale.

Or the OP wanted his buyer to request OP to take back the phone (like OP did)?

Edit: OP changed because posts have been moved to a new thread. When I mentioned OP, I meant the person whose post I have quoted.

Last edited:
For reselling, wouldn't it be better to generate a photocopy of Invoice with address / phone number portion masked out ? That way invoice doesn't carry those details.
Does companies honor such invoices for warranty ?

I am not sure whether OP is under aged. I not sure whether he's ever dealth with used products. I am not sure whether he's the faintest of what he's talking about.

It's really rather simple. I purchased a phone from him. I did not find it satisfactory (in regard to camera). I asked him whether he would take the phone back, to which he disagreed. Obviously that forced me to create a sale topic here and on OLX.

Needless to say what he keeps jabbering about sharing his personal details aka invoice is utter nonsense. Has he enforced some one-time sale contract with me, in his dreams perhaps, which bars me from reselling the phone to others?

Imaginary rant earns a separate thread here I see, might as well give him some distinction while we are at it, he deserves it.

Some members on TE just need a topic to Rant/Crib unnecessary.

Every other thread on TE is now becoming SAAS BAHU SHOW.

Mods need to step in and take some serious actions against unwanted post and members.

Some members on TE just need a topic to Rant/Crib unnecessary.

Every other thread on TE is now becoming SAAS BAHU SHOW.

Mods need to step in and take some serious actions against unwanted post and members.
I agree, wasted time reading whole thread and decided not to post the obvious.

OP if you are concern about privacy please take time to arrange for proper documentations

I agree, wasted time reading whole thread and decided not to post the obvious.

OP if you are concern about privacy please take time to arrange for proper documentations
There is sth I would like to add. The OP of the sell thread wasn't honest with with me regarding the reason of resell. When I asked why he was reselling (he hadn't mentioned that this was a resell to begin with and I only got to know because @enthusiast29 pointed it out in the thread), he said "My mum uses a Zenfone Max M1 which has turned just a bloody turtle. So bought this just few days back. But mum cannot use it due its size and determined to not use it."
There was no mention of the malfunctioning camera anywhere in his reply. I only got to know about that after the sell was over. Attaching the screenshot of the conversation for everybody to see.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210904-094443_Kiwi_Browser.png
    Screenshot_20210904-094443_Kiwi_Browser.png
    610 KB · Views: 84
Don't want any drama now. But I had somehow missed his response here two years back. Have to post it as he has included my text to be 'informed about the change of mind' as nonsensical and waste of time.
About the moral obligation part: On August 22, 2021, the same day I had first PMed him for the Android, he himself had said this - "If you can transfer the amount at around 11 am tomorrow (which would be August 23, 2021), I'll ship it within 3-4 hrs. (In SS). Few hours later on the same day, he just randomly informs that phone is gone. That's it. (In SS)
And in this thread he writes, "the buyer from Odisha who lectured about moral obligation- What moral obligation is he on about exactly? Just a message that I will buy your phone and pay you tomorrow, that's it? Without any advance/ token amount there's no obligation, moral or otherwise."
Yes, the complete disregard for somebody after saying yourself that you are okay with being paid the day after. I would have paid any 'token' amount 'immediately' had he asked for it. Had even requested him to not sell it to others who approach. (In SS) Thanks, but my point stands. On the same day I PMed, he just randomly says 'sorry sold locally' after being requested to send pics of the device. And then he writes all these on the thread....

IMG_20230801_224844_073.jpg
IMG_20230801_224948_641.jpg
Screenshot_20230801-231334_Brave.png

Last edited:
Back