Personal Media Manager

guys, as required in the final year, i've submitted the request for building a "Personal Media Manager" which would enable users to track their movies, animes, etc which they have watched and tick them as appropriate (watched or to-be-watched)..

i've decided to implement these basic features uptill now and add other features, if required, later on and as my major project..

i chose this project as i wanted to actually build something and not just download them off the net..

but, the problem starts here, i've learned c, c++ and java in my college and i can work on them and also, learn some new things, if required but as far as i've figured it out there are other better languages to work upon, like asp.net, javascript, etc.. so can someone advice me on how to start off with this.?

which one to choose among SQL, MS-Access, etc and which framework to be used as the forefront? i want the one which would be easy, simple to program with the option of making it look catchy at the same time, on its looks,..

the thing that i want this app to do are:

to make new entries (movie title, tickboxes, and several custome made/fixed entries)
save and retrieve (most important)
adding images to our entries, if possible..

thanks

challapradyumna said:
Actually i am building a similar one with the same.........

I'm half way through........

IMDB - this is a 2 month old build..........

kinda noob que, but that's what i am in programming, how much time did it take to complete that much part..?

right now, i'm looking for php resources, can you direct me to a link, i've got one week to complete this thing..

That is too short for the ambitious project you took............. I don't work on that daily but i have been working on that since 5 months and total time on the project would be 4 weeks......

challapradyumna said:
Actually i am building a similar one with the same.........

I'm half way through........

IMDB - this is a 2 month old build..........
thanks a lot for answering my queries mate, will ask for more help after some searching..

PHP is web based Language ........ Dont know much about Asp.net . If its PC based there are some software for that ...... google a bit you will find those............

If this is supposed to be your final year project, then don't you have a year for it? A year should be just about enough to get such a project into a fairly polished app if you work regularly on it.

But a week?! Santa Maria! C'est impossible! A week isn't even enough to design the thing on paper, imo, if it has a decent set of features.

And it's up to you to decide your platform. First decide if you want it to be a web-app, or a desktop app. (Web would help you gain experience which will help during your job-search).

Since you say you know Java, if you chose the web, you will have JSP or something (not sure, I'm a .NET guy).

If you choose it to be a desktop app, then there's UI-stuff in Java too. Swing, I think.

Back