Petition against Airtel Fair Usage Policy

vebk

Adept
A few of us are trying to get a petition going to protest Airtel's new Fair Usage Policy, vide which all unlimited plans would be halved once they reach a particular cap (e.g. if you have a 512kbps UL connection, after 40GB, your connection will become 256kbps!!)

Do sign the petition at:
Airtel Broadband “Fair Usage Policy” Protest Petition

And of course there is more to read there in case you want more info first.

Please do spread the word!!!

(Mods, I would appreciate it if you could put an announcement on the main page / make this thread a sticky).

p.s. important - some people seem to not be getting confirmation e-mails... this 99% means that it is going in your spam folder. Please check there. It will come from: Airtel Fair Usage Policy Petition <admin@broadbandforum.in>
with the subject tag: Petition: Confirm your signing of the petition 'Airtel Fair Usage Policy'

I would have, but I figured more people would see it here. If mods think otherwise, I would be more than happy if they would move it there.

Please spread the word!!

I recently received this email from broadbandforum.in. I will like to request all of you to become a part of this campaign as if gone unnoticed, this can further strengthen the morals of companies like Airtel to do and get away with anything they like.

And please... Spread the word as much as you can!!

Hi All,

As some of you may know, Airtel is introducing / has introduced a new policy called the "Fair Usage Policy" (details are sketchy) that seeks to curb the amount you download using 'unlimited' internet plans. What they are trying to get away with is saying that people are using too much of the internet and thus they need to curb your downloads / speeds, rather than upgrade their own infrastructure and equipment.

In an nutshell, what it means is that if you have an unlimited plan that is, say, 512kbps in speed, after a certain cap they will halve your speed to 256kbps for the rest of the month, while charging you the same amount that they have been charging you till now for 512kbps for the whole month!!! Essentially they are giving you less (up to 45% less) service but for the same price!!! And the cap can be reached in as quick as 5-6 days if you are a heavy user.

While you may feel that this only affects 'heavy downloaders,' it's an important issue for all to consider as it sets a very dangerous precedent for telecom companies to start implementing all sorts of policies. The day may not be very far (in fact many internet activists around the world say it's quite near) where the ISPs will control not only your speeds and download abilities, but will control what information you can access, thereby completely destroying what made the internet what it is today - a level playing field. This is popularly known as the issue of net neutrality, which gained considerable importance in the 2008 U.S. Presidential elections (which hopefully and thankfully ended with the selection of a candidate who is for net neutrality and against allowing giant telecom companies railroad consumers in order for profit). And if you think 'downloading' is important only for people downloading pirated movies, music etc. I urge you to read this page, which describes in brief the variety of legitimate applications that are out there which would be significantly stunted with the implementation of these policies. If you are not on Airtel, don't worry - If Airtel implements this policy, your ISP will follow (soon), which is why this petition is open to all.

The internet today is the single most important tool for all the essentials of modern life - communication, education, business, politics etc. etc., and I urge you to not take this matter lightly.

A few of us have started an online petition in protest, which we will be sending to Mr. Sunil Bharti Mittal, Chairman & Managing Director, Bharti Airtel Ltd. after we obtain a significant number of signatures. You can find the petition here. Please do read the petition as well as the other information that is on the site, make up your own mind, and sign it if you agree with it.

Airtel Broadband Fair Usage Policy Petition

Please do use a valid e-mail address (which will be kept confidential) as you will need to confirm your signature for it to be counted. After signing you will get an e-mail, which is highly likely to be wrongly sent to your SPAM folder. Please check there if it doesn't come in your inbox, and click on the link therein to confirm your signature.

We would appreciate it if you can (BCC) forward this e-mail to others who care about the future of the Internet in India.

Our thanks in advance.

Supporters of net neutrality in India

I'm completely outraged about this stupid FUP. To show my anger, this is what I've done.

I've sent a mail to the following,
sbm@bharti.com (Sunil Mittal, Chairman), ceo.direct@bharti.com, manoj.kohli@bharti.com (CEO, Bharti Airtel), atul.bindal@bharti.com (CEO, Bharti Telemedia, the subsidiary that offers broadband services)

The content of the mail is here - I blogged about it, so that others may know too.
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal Blog Archive Airtel’s Speed Rationalization - Facebook-ToS-style goof-up!

If someone asks you how this FUP is really affecting anyone, use this example to clear all doubts.
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal Blog Archive Airtel’s ‘Fair Usage’, Speed Rationalization explained!

And, here's what Airtel's Speed Rationalization *really* means!
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal Blog Archive The real meaning of Airtel’s letter on Speed Rationalization!

Spread the word - Airtel better not get their success to their heads. Collectively we can bring them down to a level they deserve.

Airtel says: After a user crosses a mythical threshold, because he/ she has just used his internet beyond reasonable (in Airtel’s eyes) usage, his/ her unlimited plan’s broadband speed would be curtailed/ halved/ reduced for the rest of the billing period. He/ she will - of course - continue to pay the same monthly fee to Airtel.

What this means, in plain English - explained with an example: I subscribe for a cable connection. It includes a few channels which beam supposedly obscene stuff late in the night. And the cable company says that since that material is considered (by the cable company which is not responsible for content on individual TV channels) obscene, they’ll reduce the size of the screen - so, if I have a 32″ TV, the obscene parts starting 11 pm will be shown in a 12″ box within my existing TV. The objective? Since I have to squint and see stuff on TV, I’ll not bother anyway.

Very fair (use) of Airtel, huh?

LOL.

Back to topic...

AIRTEL BETTER BE TAKING NOTICE OF THESE PETITIONS & DO SOMETHING BOUT IT !!!

And I request all affected members to ask their friends & relatives having similar plans to sign the petition mentioned above.

Only 1416 signatories so far :(

rASCAL said:
u thought airtel was bad.. have a look at tata's policy.. they can shut u down completely. Tata Indicom Broadband
all you night unlimited guys beware

Fair Usage Limit
(MB/Month)
Unlimited 64 ~ 5,000
Unlimited 128 ~ 20,000
Unlimited 256 ~ 45,000
Unlimited 384 ~ 70,000
Unlimited 512 ~ 80,000
Unlimited 1024 ~ 90,000
Unlimited 2048 ~ 105,000
Unlimited 4096 ~ 125,000[/TABLE]

Data transfer in excess of Fair Usage Limit as per the applicable tariff plan shall be treated as a violation of TCISL FUP.

Upon such violation of FUP, TCISL shall contact the Customer suggesting for reduction in usage or upgrade to a higher bandwidth plan.

Despite the above, if the customer fails to upgrade to a high speed plan or continue to violate the TCISL FUP, TCISL reserves the right to suspend or terminate the customer’s account immediately without prejudice to other rights available to TCISL under these Terms and Conditions.

Atrocious Indeed !!! :mad:
Atleast they offer higher limits...:ashamed:

^^arre this is where they will be completing now....providing higher limits in these so called FUP....u see...we dont want this at all..simple. give us what we should get

Back