CPU/Mobo Phenom 550 BE HSF making noise !!!

Nemesis87

Disciple
Dec 24, 2008
though the CPU core 1 & core 2 temperature is 33/34 degree centigrade (CPU as whole temp 40 deg) my CPU fan is accelerating from 3214 RPM to 6429 RPM. :mad:

I have cleaned it several times even applied a new coat of thermal paste but the noise returns after few days. :huh:

Please some one please help !! :(

---------

already installed AMD cool and quite but no help.

=========

After limiting the speed in bios (ASUS M4A88TD-M Evo)>>Power>>Q Fan function>"Lower CPU fan speed limit" to 200 RPM & mode "Silent" ,then temp were CPU 45 deg (each core 43 deg)

But noise was reduced.

After seeing the huge change in temp. I changed "Lower CPU fan speed limit" to 500 RPM & mode "Standard" ,then temp were CPU 43 deg (each core 37 deg)

& noise was less but bearable.

CPU fan speed shows 2700-3600 RPM now.
------------------

Want to ask that since i use my pc mostly for downloading ,editing Office documents n watching movies (rarely).is above setting fine??

will it affect CPU in future??

How can i under clock CPU (since it's black edition can i use multiplier setting)?? will that affect temp/power saving much??

mavihs

Adept
Jun 12, 2008
Delhi
Re: Phenom 550 Black Edition macking noise !!!

if you want silent then go into the BIOS & choose the Silent option for the fan operation speed but the temps will increase.

Nemesis87

Disciple
Dec 24, 2008

mavihs said:
if you want silent then go into the BIOS & choose the Silent option for the fan operation speed but the temps will increase.
But CPU fan is accelerating from 3214 RPM to 6429 RPM ain't that awkward?? that to short bump many of times consistent for few minutes.

& the fan starts making noise even when i start the PC after few hours.It's not because of load.

thetoxicmind

ex-Mod
Jun 3, 2007
Interweb

I changed "Lower CPU fan speed limit" to 500 RPM & mode "Standard"

Are you able to tweak the value? If so, make it 1500 or 2000 RPM and leave it at that.

43C is normal under some load, but the above tweak should help a bit.

This is only recommended for tasks that aren't CPU intensive.

If you want a permanent solution, just get a new HSF.

I had a noisy little jet engine (decent HS with crappy fan) from AMD for my 955BE. Replaced it with a Hyper 212+

But CPU fan is accelerating from 3214 RPM to 6429 RPM ain't that awkward?? that to short bump many of times consistent for few minutes.
& the fan starts making noise even when i start the PC after few hours.It's not because of load.

Yeah, that is odd. check the CPU cooler cable.

demonic

Adept
May 12, 2009
Kolkata

a new hsf wud help a lot...

n u can also try using amd's easytune to set the fan speeds

demonic

Adept
May 12, 2009
Kolkata

oh sorry for messing that up...there must be some other software that can do the same work for ur asus mobo...

but if u want low temps along wid low noise then u need to get a new hsf

spr

Disciple
Aug 14, 2006
BANGALORE

dude, this is a common problem with AMD HSF, my 1055T runs at 4000 rpm, as suggested best bet is get a new HSF,

hector19

| Crafted for Gaming |
Adept
Nov 11, 2009
BANGALORE
Mine's been running @ 6000+rpm for over 6 months ( Phenom II x4 955 )...

Only the noise is annoying & u won't face any issue ! Get a new after market cooler , ONLY, if u wanna get RID OF THE NOISE .

Nemesis87

Disciple
Dec 24, 2008
@thetoxicmind

Thnx for help, will look into the cable. but i have also changed mobo to check nothing help.

is the temperature sensor faulty??

Maximum was 500RPM in settings,i can do manual if possible..

But what is maximum/optimum temperature for it's proper operation??

@hector19

My Cabinet is sitting right next to me can't bear it :p

I have NZXT Gamma Cabinet ... two side panel fan slots are empty should fitting with one would help??

cause CPU cooler are costly ain't they !!

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Jun 13, 2009
New Delhi
Try reducing vCore is small decrements and see if you get lower thermals. By the way in BIOS what is the ramp-up profile of the fan. I.E. at what temperatures it would accelerate.