CPU/Mobo Phenom II 920 or Q6600

^^Phenom II would sure be a great addon and 780G itself a great mB :) That will sure beat the pants of many lying out here :p

I will even try to get my hands on PII but since I have got a new rig now I would rather try pushing my X3 8650 to 3+ to see how much it improve :) would add a Sunbeam Core Contact and a better set of speakers and will think of PII later..

One thing is for sure from those charts if current AMD PII can give Intel QX series run for money then I am sure that upcoming revision and black ed. would be a steal for deal :)

Hey guys... I agree Phenom II 940 is great but the comparison is between Phenom II 920 and Q6600... I've read many reviews about Phenom II and every one seems to emphasize on Phenom II 940 and leaving out the 920 in dust.. In AT's review there are just some few lines about 920 OC'ing performance and in benchmarks..

^^ arent graphs enough to convince? There are few lines aon for OC of 920 too..
And AT didnt even thought of 6600 much.. he is talking about Q9x series.

Lets take one example here..

Imagine that core i7 cpus are compatible with current intel mobos? There would have been hell lot no of people going for it even with compromised performance becoz of DDR2..... isnt it ?

Same is the case with amd, even at the year end ur current mobo for amd will be compatible for with those processors... isnt that a great adv?

IMO, even with identical performance for intel and amd stables and with similar prices.... i would choose amd becoz it gives at least some level of upgradability? Its not about being future proof, its about keeping the options open...

6600 can be a choice only if one gets it for 7k or something IMHO

The so called Intel price drops would take its time to reflect here. Maybe a week or so.

Seems like the OP's willing to shell out 17.5k at the max? Get a Q6600 and a Gigabyte G31-S2L motherboard (heck, get the Q9550 and beat the $hit outta all the PIIs by taking it to 4G :p). Its a G31 chipset, but the motherboard's a gem for the price you pay. Many users here seems to be pretty much satisfied with the motherboard and its OC'ing ability. In case you dont wish to go CF, this's the one to get. :)

If you're willing to go with the PII, you wont get a very decent motherboard with the 17.5k odd investment (probably one based on the 780G if it comes within 4.5k!). The only pro here being that, AM3 Phenoms being compatible with the existing AM2+ boards, you need not upgrade to DDR3 sticks.

Those're my 2 cents.

I'm still not convinced of going with Phenom II's and don't try to convince me also.. and this is the combo I'm going for.. Q6600 + GA-EP45-DS3L @ 16.5k.. good enough for me..

spidy333 said:
^typo.. its dont try to convince me..

where's the edit button here..?

You wont be able to edit your posts until u've a certain minimum post count. Its around 50 or 100. Not sure.

Anyhow, get a Sunbeam CCF with the PC in case u wish to crank up the clocks of the Q6600.

The only thing that I don't like about P45 is that it comes without onboard video so god forbid anything happens but you will have nothing to rely on.

The Q6600 has no problems and you can surely go for it, also what is the current price for a Q9400 ?

I'd suggest to wait till end of jan so that the prices settle down after Intel prices cuts AMD will also bring their prices down.

Gunman said:
The so called Intel price drops would take its time to reflect here. Maybe a week or so.

Seems like the OP's willing to shell out 17.5k at the max? Get a Q6600 and a Gigabyte G31-S2L motherboard (heck, get the Q9550 and beat the $hit outta all the PIIs by taking it to 4G :p). Its a G31 chipset, but the motherboard's a gem for the price you pay. Many users here seems to be pretty much satisfied with the motherboard and its OC'ing ability. In case you dont wish to go CF, this's the one to get. :)

If you're willing to go with the PII, you wont get a very decent motherboard with the 17.5k odd investment (probably one based on the 780G if it comes within 4.5k!). The only pro here being that, AM3 Phenoms being compatible with the existing AM2+ boards, you need not upgrade to DDR3 sticks.

Those're my 2 cents.

If i go for G31 chipset.. I would probably get a PCI 1.1 compliant port.. wont the reduced bandwidth of the port affect the graphic card performance.. I am getting HD4850 for that... How will it performance be affected depending upon the pci ..

spidy333 said:
If i go for G31 chipset.. I would probably get a PCI 1.1 compliant port.. wont the reduced bandwidth of the port affect the graphic card performance.. I am getting HD4850 for that... How will it performance be affected depending upon the pci ..

Zilch !! None :p Been using the 4850 with a Skt 939 rig for almost 6 mths now. My only bottleneck is the processor.

Nicee... one more query to the users of G31-S2L owners.. If you install a big video card like HD4850.. I heard that it covers the free PCI slot.. I need the PCI slot as I am installing a wireless lan card in that.. So any heads up about this..?

spidy333 said:
Nicee... one more query to the users of G31-S2L owners.. If you install a big video card like HD4850.. I heard that it covers the free PCI slot.. I need the PCI slot as I am installing a wireless lan card in that.. So any heads up about this..?

In case u go for the double slot 4850, u'd be still be left with one. The last one. So no issues AFAIK. Go ahead with the purchase. :)

spidy333 said:

Spidy, your are pairing up G31-S2L with Q6600 and you will probably be overclocking. I really don't fancy your approach.

G31-S2L is a low-medium end mobo and it may be good for dual cores (that too most of them are 45nm and hence have lower power requirements), I doubt this motherboard will be able to handle a CPU like Q6600 for too long. Q6600 is a quad core built on 65nm tech... its power requirements are more than double of the power draw of Penryns. Think again.

I will say at least get a solid P43 or solid P35 motherboard if you want to play with Q6600.

My two cents

I think I will go for P45 chipset boards and will get a cooler after some days.. so can you suggest any good p45 boards that fits in the budget i.e not more than 7000.. I dont need any CF...

The ones I'm thinking of are..

MSI P45 Neo-F
Gigabyte EP45-DS3L (Initially I thought this board is too good for its value.. but now many seems to complain that its doesnt like 4 gb ram that much.. Is it real?)

If this is finalized then I'm all set to make the purchase.. so waiting for the valuable suggestions..

I think I will go for P45 chipset boards and will get a cooler after some days.. so can you suggest any good p45 boards that fits in the budget i.e not more than 7000.. I dont need any CF...

The ones I'm thinking of are..

MSI P45 Neo-F

Gigabyte EP45-DS3L (Initially I thought this board is too good for its value.. but now many seems to complain that its doesnt like 4 gb ram that much.. Is it real?)

If this is finalized then I'm all set to make the purchase.. so waiting for the valuable suggestions..

u can get gigabyte P43 from newegg if u dont want to CF , its is 79$ so will be around 5.5k from kmd .though i think gigabyte G31 should be able to overclock Q6600 around 3.2- 3.4ghz easily , i an going to test Q9550 on G31 soon after i get my new ram.

^getting from kmd might take long as it needs to come from newegg.. not willing to wait that long.. I will probably go to SMC on wednesday as locally there are only two brands... Asus or Intel..

So suggest me a good p45 mobo and I will go through with it..

Depends on how much u're willing to spend. The Gigabyte P45-UD3P'd retail for <9k shipped from Amarbir. Check with ur local dealer as well. One heck of a board. Better than the P5Q series from Asus by a notch.

Well, the G31 part. Since Roboghost's willing to experiment his Q9550 with it, we'll shortly know the results. ;)

Back