Wolfbane

Disciple
HI guys,
My rig config is as below
P II 920 + Asus M3A EM
Palit GTX 275
4 Gb DDR2 RAM
CM 690 Cabby.

Lately have been noticing tht my CPU idle temps are at 50 deg while wen am gaming the temps are above 80 deg :(

Is it normal?? I do not overclock

GPU runs at 50 deg idle and 65 deg under load

Please help as i dont want to poof my CPU

Thanks

CPU temps are way too high

even my unlocked PII X4 B50 @ 3.2 Ghz used to idle at 28~30c and maxed at 55c while i was on my stock cooler.

First, reseat the cooler and check. it might not be making proper contact with the proccy. If doesnt work, get a good thermal paste like AS5 or MX2/MX3.

Last option is an aftermarket cooler, like a CM Hyper TX2 to start with for 1.4k.

dOm1naTOr said:
CPU temps are way too high
even my unlocked PII X4 B50 @ 3.2 Ghz used to idle at 28~30c and maxed at 55c while i was on my stock cooler.

First, reseat the cooler and check. it might not be making proper contact with the proccy. If doesnt work, get a good thermal paste like AS5 or MX2/MX3.

Last option is an aftermarket cooler, like a CM Hyper TX2 to start with for 1.4k.

+1 for the above repaly:)

Which software are you using to check the temps? Which power supply? Did you try reseating the hsf? Also, update the bios and see if that helps.

Hmm, somethings not right. I think AMD chips would shut off if temps crossed 70"c.

Which mobo do you have, and try as suggested by Sorcy & dominator. Also once you switch off the comp try touching the hsf to check if its really hot or not.

Man, Now u guys have really scared the S*** outta me.

Will try to reseat the stock cooler on it. Also i use HWmonitor to check temps and CM 600W extreme PSU.

Will also get thermal paste.

Over 62 degrees ure in trouble my friend....either ure mount of the cpu cooler is not alright or u have no airlflow in you cabinet.

Have got a CM 690 with all possible slots for fans occupied..also my cabby is open from all sides so not having enuff air flow is difficult to digest.

My bet is that HWmon is prob malfunctioning or not reading temps correctly (compatibility issue with Win 7).

Else PC should have BSODed after 70 - 75 deg wich is not the case.

Still will take the suggestions mentioned above and see wat happens. Will keep u guys posted.

Thanks a ton guys.

Another niggling problem is that some times the bios gets reset. All values like date time etc have to be set again. So could this be a mobo / bios prob?

Wolfbane said:
Have got a CM 690 with all possible slots for fans occupied..also my cabby is open from all sides so not having enuff air flow is difficult to digest.

My bet is that HWmon is prob malfunctioning or not reading temps correctly (compatibility issue with Win 7).
Else PC should have BSODed after 70 - 75 deg wich is not the case.

Still will take the suggestions mentioned above and see wat happens. Will keep u guys posted.

Thanks a ton guys.

Another niggling problem is that some times the bios gets reset. All values like date time etc have to be set again. So could this be a mobo / bios prob?

Did you try updating BIOS?

Also change the PSU as soon as possible.Running GTX 275 on CM extreme power 600 is very very risky.Yoy will need CM real power pro 550/Corsair VX 550 or Glacial Power AL650AA.

Screen shot of temps
Hope this helps...am also gonna updte Bios in a few mins

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 113
disable cool and quiet and check the Vcore reading.

1.07V min is if for 800Mhz then its 0.1V above what amd should be using.

also 12V voltage seems to be off target

My CPU is overheating like crazy from yesterday. CPU idles at 71c :S
I tried re-seating the heatsink, but no use...AMD cool n quite is disabled too...

I've posted screens from Everest and Hardware Monitor...
HELP :(

Anyone ????? :(

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 109
  • untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 112
madnav said:
disable cool and quiet and check the Vcore reading.

1.07V min is if for 800Mhz then its 0.1V above what amd should be using.

also 12V voltage seems to be off target

updated bios, disabled cool n quiet.
no change still idling at 50-60 deg.
now am really worried :(

pls help!!!

I've got the same proccy and mine was idling at 72 degree...Applied thermal paste and now it idles at 52 or 53 degrees...Is that okay ?

Wolfbane said:
..also my cabby is open from all sides so not having enuff air flow is difficult to digest.
Difficult but you may have to. :)
We put fans in a closed cabby and that creates an airflow.
Just having a lot of fans pulling/pushing at random only causes turbulence and may not be termed as airflow in the right sense of the intended application.
Airflow is required to draw heat away from hot areas and eventually discard it outside the case.
An open cabby may not have airflow- one that needs to draw heat away from hot areas especially- unless your ceiling fan or a table fan creates enough airflow in that area. :p
In case of a well-ventilated case, internal temps go up a bit when the side panels are opened, which also is an idicator of good ventilation. :)

Must be a problem with either the fan or the PSU. Check both. When a proc is undervolted, to get the power needed, the current drawn is higher. Higher the current, higher the heat generated due to resistance. Basic Electrical science. So, make sure your PSU is capable of handling your system and that it is working fine. Check with a different PSU. Also, clean the dust off the CPU fan. Post your results. Everest may be reporting a wrong value. Check with a voltmeter.

Back