Philips 42" 5403/94 HDMI FREEZE issue :(

hey guys...

got the LCD delivered @ my frnds place yesterday ...

everything is good except this one bad and very irritating problem.

whenever we try to run the LCD in PC mode (thats the selection u do when u connect ur LCD via HDMI to a HTPC) it freezes for like 3-4 seconds in every 3-4 minutes...

i tried the same cable and GPU with other HDMI LCDs (24incher and the 30inch one).. it works very very good.

even while browsing on internet i found this to be a very major HDMI issue ...

it runs OK when i try this reso:
1920*1080 @ 50hz

but it starts freezin when we move to 60hz which actually the LCD supports and is recommended in its own Manual to be used while using with a PC over HDMI for the best look.

i would say... its just awesome..

but this issue is makin my frnd go crazy

update 1

i am using a ATI 4350 HDMI Card !
it works flawlessly with my 2408 Ultrasharp and 3008 WFP...

it only starts this freezing when i set the 42incher @ 1920*1080p @ 60hz/59hz both...

as soon as i convert the same to 1920*1080p @ 50hz.. it works good.. but movement of mouse starts showing ghosting effect (i can see trails for the movement of mouse).
regarding PC mode:
if i dont enable the PC mode (that is by keeping HD mode ON)... the whole concept of the word "FONT"goes for a toss...

movies look good. no doubt about it.. but fonts look like i can puke just by settin my eyes on them...

even on HD mode... it leaves a space of like 0.3cm on the top/bottom screen..

plz help guys.. really need ur minds here

u r trying full hd, @ 60 Hz/ 59 Hz. Try HD resolution at 60 Hz and verify. If it still hangs, get a hold of the dealer and service center.

to ensure the HTPC is not the issue here, at full hd reso, try using word/ excel for some time (just tp for 15-20 mins), do not play a movie/ game - except solitaire. if it hangs here its the TV that needs some work.

No, and not too keen to do it... i tried the HD mode instead of the PC and it seems to have solved the problem at the expense of desktop picture quality (movies seem about the same, maybe a bit better actually), but apparently the only real fix is to upgrade the firmware to V 1.08. I'll get on that next week.

when i tried my 4850 with my plasma, there were number of resolution options avail like 24, 50 ,60 try diff drivers like 9.2 or 9.7 cause must be some driver issue

the issue still persists (after philips changed my mainboard)

now the f*ked up technician does not agree that its a fault with their LCD, rather he was very quick to say that my system does not have the capabilities to perform on the FULL HD SCALE (dumb frak damn)

this illiterate engineers damn..

cranky did u get a solution ?

wat should i do now ?

they are not acknowleding their problem... shitty company !

I switched it to HD mode, and it was perfect after that. No more freezes. At my 12 feet distance, the slight blur does not affect desktop viewing - in fact the additional aliasing helps me read the (very small) text around desktop icons...

cranky said:
I switched it to HD mode, and it was perfect after that. No more freezes. At my 12 feet distance, the slight blur does not affect desktop viewing - in fact the additional aliasing helps me read the (very small) text around desktop icons...

well even i have been using the HD mode (it sets the LCD automatically @ 50hz) from past 3 months without any issue..

wat concerns me is that when the LCD is supposed to be workin @ 60hz then y is it not ?

another thing is that the fonts look really bad in the HD mode (talkin abt desktop fonts... Games and Movies look uberawesome)

above on that the PHILIPS guy is blamin it on my system..

(check my sig)

i still love the LCD for wat it is and the price that i got it for with 3 yrs warranty !

but y not 60hz ?

All right, it's fixed now. Turns out the autodetect on ATI drivers doesn't quite understand the LCD very well, and the Philips has a very odd refresh rate of 60.5Hz, not 60.

I 'accidentally' fixed it by changing out the 690G mobo to one based on the GF8300. it is still very slightly 'off', you can see it resyncing every few minutes, but it's for a fraction of a second, not the 3-5 seconds with the ATI GPU.

Of course nVidia drivers come with their own issues, the biggest being the inability to detect the display if you switch it off while the GPU output is active (as one would do when one wants to listen to music and not have the display on). Disabling the helper service fixes this in XP, but no cure for Vista or Win7.

Back