Phone Lost - Need help on protecting personal info

Techie#1

Skilled
Today few hrs ago,i just lost my defy..fell from my pant pocket while getting out of car for dhantera shoping...within a span of 3 min it was gone...called my mobile no. for 15 min gone unanswed..then now nothing...called carrier to block the no ,lodged a case in police station....no tracker installed in my phone..just did a new rom install...had a 16gb class 10 card inside...everything gone & vanished out into thin air...i am completely devastated....never EVER had such a incident in life!..WORST Day/Night in my Life!

at this point,i 'm most anxious abt is how vulnerable i am?...all my contacts,,emails,sms (@ phone/external memory) at the complete mercy of the thief..i'm now more tensed on that,even if mobile is unrecovered,...how much further damages can i expect..if the thief/hacker can get into my handset? Never faced any such similar situation with missing mobile..so very very anxious on this part,as also with my lost mobile(age 4 months) recovery!!! *the reply i'm getting by dialling my no. is currently"switched off" !

:( :( :(

Its just a phone not life .Ok you have upgraded it and you lost it. But you can think as an opportunity to buy a new gadget which is fully upgraded.
Take it easy .

Change passwords for all accounts which are mapped on the device. Chat/mail/FB. First do that. If you have received any banking mail on it, change those passwords too.

Same thing happened with me. Can you believe it. I wrote the guide in my sig before I lost my 2nd android phone(which was also a defy)..

I had a bunch of security apps installed on the phone. But call it "ROM lust" or something was always in the habit of flashing the latest cm7 nightly.

The result was when my phone was lost It was factory fresh and also had very little battery juice left....

Have decided to stay away from android phones for a while...

For you my advice is :

>File a FIR in the police station where you know somebody.It does not have to be where you lost the phone.Just goto some PS that has a friendly staff and tell them that you lost the phone in the nearby area.

>Most PS will not file a FIR for mobile theft .What they will do is take a "Mobile lost complaint". If they do so take the contact no of the PS and call them every week.

>There is a computer guy at every PS who tracks/ has contacts with every service provider.If you can get his contact no then your chances become brighter..

>Finally if you are located in NCR visit Zonal Integrated Police Network (zipnet.in)

If your stolen/missing mobile phone details are not in database, please contact us on email-id : delpol@vsnl.com with complete details i.e. STATE, DISTRICT, PS, FIR/DD No., Date of theft/loss, Mobile No., IMEI No., MAKE, NETWORK TYPE, COMPLAINANT NAME, ADDRESS AND CONTACT NO.

Regards,

aka.

Sad to hear this :( . Unfortunately there are not much chances of recovering it unless you have good contacts with the Police. They will try to trace and recover it only if an F.I.R is filed. My 6270 was stolen few years back while traveling in local train during peak hours and it took an FIR and ~2 months to get it back in a screwed up condition .

Most professional thieves do not bother checking out or look for any data in the mobile . They might just go through the gallery / music and stuff if they are accustomed to the UI etc. Other than that most would just remove the SIM and throw it at first instance and try to get rid of it by selling it to their sources .Some might reset/ wipe it out completely as well with the fear of tracking software. So I don't think any further damage will be caused to your personal data etc. If it wasn't really stolen and is in the hands of some evil greedy guy , then you can just pray that he doesn't play around with your data. Incase he does there are chances of him getting caught as well :p .

Wish every phone came with a strong tracking mechanism / software or atleast a remote data delete .Something like the FindMyiPhone which again is not installed by default :| .

Another way to save your data incase mobile is stolen is to have a keypad lock with data wipe for multiple wrong login attempts.This way there are almost no chances of the thief accessing your personal data.

Once again sorry to hear about the loss . Hope you recover it or atleast no further damage is caused .

Had my ipod touch 4g (64 gb) barely six months old stolen from me some ~4 months back. Didn't lament.....instead used the opportunity to get myself a spanking new Galaxy s2 :D

Recently lost a laptop and a cellphone too , thankfully they lodged a f.i.r but police themselves say that tracking technology is not that efficient yet in India , so it may sound harsh but there is no point of waiting to get it recovered .

yes,police said same to me,..tracking through IEMI no. is a complicated,lengthy & difficult process(No Police Big Boss connection.)...also Airtel(my carrier) almost had the same reply...so did the Motorola Service centre engineer out here,even though i left my IEMI no. & contact with him with a cash offer for any info,in case ever the same ph. with the given imei.no ever comes to them.Some local wise guy said that tracking through imei no. can be possible if All the carriers can be given a notice of theft bearing the same imei.no,forwarded to the technical wing of their respective call centres,so whenever a fresh sim is installed to my ex phone with that imei no, they will come to know & they would inform me,...but when i said to Airtel regarding abt such imei tracking, they denied any possibility of such help & acted clueless!I know many things r possilble in india,but such premium service are not for ordinary guys like me.So,after passing 24 hrs today,after loss of phone, i have already got the duplicate sim activated in my another almost new Nokia x200(till i again get a good phone,)...i çan only lament for my good Defy & worry of any possible damage from any personal data leaks/loss...this is just like a Black Diwali for me!

Though everyone losses something(mayb more expensive, one of my local friends lost a nissan micra a week b4), but this is me(my first mobile loss,though i'm very careful)..& i can only feel the full pinch of pain! :(

*@pat "PlanB" phone recovery is s a beta project as part of Lookout Labs, it is only available in the U.S. on the four major carriers (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile

Anyway,Thanks for all the good friends/pals & members at TE,which showed empathy & solidarity.Thanks a lot to everyone here!

^you got PM

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Cell tracing process followed by Police is only done with respect to some FIR and that too if its found very important to recover the cell.

Most of the time they wont take this headache to them but if FIR is registered they try their best to resolve it.

The process is a bit slow but works most of the time--ONLY IF THE CELL IS IN USE and within your state.

*also most of the times the cell is found with some other guy who has purchased from market..but still can be recovered.

Might be lucky..

Or the Sim might have been used in Gujrat and might have been recovered by Call Details.

If you talk about tracing via IMEI its very difficult to trace out of the state.

I know cos I spend a lot of time with Cyber Cell :)

Sad to hear about your loss. Even mine got stolen 2 weeks back in a local bus :(.

These thugs are usually in groups and stand in crowded bus near the door. When a crowd enters the bus they won't move inside and would be standing near the bus door itself. I entered the bus with other people and same thing happened. one guy was facing towards me. i was listening to music on my mp3 player while being pushed here n there by the crowd inside. I was careful about my wallet as i got suspicious but forgot about my phone. just before another stop the music stopped playing and guy in front of me immediately asked me if m going in or moving out. (an excuse to divert your attention) and got out of the bus along with others. I saw the earphones hanging out off my pocket and wondered how it got out, maybe cause of the rush. Then i reached for the cellphone and the very moment i came to know it was stolen. :(.

Back