Budget 20-25K Phone with a good Camera

Hey guys,

I am helping a friend select a phone. Her budget is 25k.

She isn't one of those tech savvy people. Her only requirements for the phone are:
1. Good Camera - loves taking pics
2. Browsing Capability
3. Music through headphone/aux
4. Calls
5. Messaging
6. Storage for Photos

Suggestions and help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1. Budget?
A: 25k

2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Preferred display type?
A: TFT

4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: None

5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: A good camera. This is a requirement. Hence Nexus 4 is out of the picture.

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android

8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G.

9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, mails and internet.

10. Any other requirements?
A: Camera is the main thing.

11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: None

The Samsung S3 has a pretty good camera. If your friend is fine with WP8 then the Lumia 820 has a fantastic camera and will save her a few bucks too.

However the Samsung has the better screen and Android has far more no of apps.

The Samsung S3 has a pretty good camera. If your friend is fine with WP8 then the Lumia 820 has a fantastic camera and will save her a few bucks too.
Actually the 720 is better than the 820. Wide angle plus fantastic low light ability. It rivals android flagships, extremely clear photos thanks to the carl zeiss lens. Check out this review. Helps if you watch in 720 or better on youtube.

The problem with most mobile cameras is the sensor is very small and cannot get enough light so they all do a decent job outdoors but an average one indoors or even at night when flash isn't sufficient typically if subject is more than 5 feet away. You can always post process the photos afterwards but getting it right at the beginning is a decisive edge.

The thing is whether her apps she needs are present on WP8.

What about video ? 720 does 720p the 820 can do 1080p.

Also the 720 is unibody so no user replaceable battery.

If you want a camera phone then nokia is what you want.

A Lumia 720 will suit her needs perfectly.

Here are the requirements you've stated:

1. Good Camera - loves taking pics - Check
2. Browsing Capability - Check
3. Music through headphone/aux - Check (FM isn't supported as of now; the update coming next month will rectify that)
4. Calls - Check (Nokia phones are one of the best in call reception and quality)
5. Messaging - Check (WhatsApp is also far better on WP8 now; however, keep in mind that it doesn't allow sharing of videos from library)
6. Storage for Photos - Check (Also, microSD card support for extending storage up to 64 GB)
7. Mails - Check (MS had added support for all mail exchange formats now; so, all services should work: GMail, Yahoo, Outlook etc...)

OFF TOPIC: @blr_p Good review. I didn't know you've done so many video reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
OFF TOPIC: @blr_p Good review. I didn't know you've done so many video reviews.
Heh, that's not me doing the review o_O

I know about the 720, because i was considering it earlier.

The choice was good camera + WP8 or decent camera + android. ATM i will opt for the latter.

But two years from now it will be much harder to discount a windows phone. It is already quite difficult to pick between android phones or even amongst those from just one vendor.

Last edited by a moderator:
720's still have the screen problem! Please check it out before making a purchase! Yes the camera on it is awesome but it comes with a big catch- the display just stops responding from time to time :)

720's still have the screen problem! Please check it out before making a purchase! Yes the camera on it is awesome but it comes with a big catch- the display just stops responding from time to time :)
2 of my friends have it since a couple of months and they haven't experienced that problem. However, they might just have been lucky. Most of those problems were reported to be caused by a faulty SIM card or microSD card. Any users of 720 here on this forum who can confirm this?

Its not a SIM fault one my friends had the same issue and his sim worked perfectly on other phones!
It's not that the SIM doesn't work, but it is cut improperly as it is a micro-SIM. One of the users on the other forum had the problem rectified after switching the SIM card. It is definitely a problem, but how widespread it is needs to be known.

Umm yeah i got that aspect of the sim problem but the micro sim cut was clean and good! So i can confirm that its still not known why is this happening for some 720's! I was about to buy it but i backed out for this reason only!!!

Back