Budget Above 40k Phone with PC Mode Support

Hi,

I'm searching for an Android phone that can replace my current devices: phone, laptop, and PC. It needs to support feature like Samsung DeX and have a reliable update policy. I'm eyeing the S22/S23 models. I've heard that some Mi and Motorola devices offer a similar mode, but I'm not sure if it's better than Samsung DeX. Can you update me on the current status of the native Android desktop mode feature?

Honestly a weird requirement but IMO people should not buy Samsung fab made flagship chips, like Exynos, Tensor, S888/888+ & 8 Gen 1. So S22 is easy to not recommend. S23 is a good phone for 55k or so.

Motorola phones have PC mode support as well. Edge 40 will be a good contender, poor OS update support though, likely Android 15 will be its last update.

Then there's Phone Link app on Windows, I heard it works great with Samsung phones. Maybe check if something like Samsung M15/F15 5G has a good DeX support.

Honestly a weird requirement but IMO people should not buy Samsung fab made flagship chips, like Exynos, Tensor, S888/888+ & 8 Gen 1. So S22 is easy to not recommend. S23 is a good phone for 55k or so.

Motorola phones have PC mode support as well. Edge 40 will be a good contender, poor OS update support though, likely Android 15 will be its last update.

Then there's Phone Link app on Windows, I heard it works great with Samsung phones. Maybe check if something like Samsung M15/F15 5G has a good DeX support.
F15 likely ships with OneUI Core, so it will not get Dex.
Hi,

I'm searching for an Android phone that can replace my current devices: phone, laptop, and PC. It needs to support feature like Samsung DeX and have a reliable update policy. I'm eyeing the S22/S23 models. I've heard that some Mi and Motorola devices offer a similar mode, but I'm not sure if it's better than Samsung DeX. Can you update me on the current status of the native Android desktop mode feature?
Moto and Samsung's Dex support it AFAIK, i think tablets should have this feature as well. Dex is the best option tho, I tried it once and it was fairly impressive, I'm not too sure how Moto works.

Right now, desktop mode for mobiles isn't very feasible since it requires an external monitor to work best. I think ppl have the idea that they would much rather use a more established desktop OS like Windows if they were to go the external monitor route, so that's likely why mobile desktops haven't really taken off.

But Dex should still work well, I'd recommend the A34 or F34. Upcoming A35/55 are options as well, but they will most likely be priced ridiculously for their specs.

@OMEGA44-XT Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out S23 and will avoid Moto due to their bad update policy.

@DestGod Nice to know you had a good experience with DeX. A/F/M series phones does not support DeX irrespective if they come with OneUI Core or Full.

I'm leaning towards S23 or S24. S24 also introduces DeX support for 4K displays over dp alt-mode. I will get a DeX supported TV or a monitor (M7/M8). I'm already looking for a new monitor. So, this will reduce my choices.

Just looked up that A34, F34 and other Samsung models mentioned here only support USB 2. Isn't USB 3 with DP alt-mode support a necessary? If not, how different is the implementation on USB 2 devices from, say miracast?
:p I missed that. A Samsung salesperson told me that OneUI full would be required for Dex so I just assumed every Sammy above 20k would have it. Mirroring using an external capture card should work with USB 2 but that would be no different then casting i think.

:p I missed that. A Samsung salesperson told me that OneUI full would be required for Dex so I just assumed every Sammy above 20k would have it. Mirroring using an external capture card should work with USB 2 but that would be no different then casting i think.
No worries. A totally reasonable assumption though. I was looking into this a while back and was surprised to know that USB 3 support has been available since SD450!... 2017!! [Wayback Machine]

Back