Photo Compression Query

eternoMind

Skilled
Wanted to reduce the size occupied by photos in my PC and came across this app named FS Resizer. Most of the re-sized pictures are just about 1/10th of the original size and i could not perceive any change in IQ (reduced size res is 1600x900). My query is would i be loosing out on anything by compressing these photos. They make uploading a breeze as well :D.

@eternoMind , compressing image will lose the minute details on the image, it depends on how much you compress, excessive compressing will lose much details

Well ofcourse you'll lose detail, how else are you reducing the size? But trust me, I use 90% quality and I don't notice a thing. An the size decrease is anywhere between 3-15%

u are loosing resolution too.
<

trying to resize and compress will definitely lower the quality.. this will be visible in jpg images when you look at them at 100 percent size.. see the sharp edges in the photograph.. they will have lost the details and will be pixelated. jpg. itself is a very highly compressed format!! i dont see any reason to compress it any further. the best quality format for images is bmp. its an absolutely uncompressed format.. and the beautiful part is, a 3000 x 3000 bmp image should be anywhere between 25 to 35 mb. and when compressed with rar, it comes down to about 5 to 6 mb which can again be uncompressed without losing out on quality.

As said by others, you will loose some quality, but it will be very minor loss not noticeable to the eye in normal conditions.

As you said, compressed images make uploading a breeze. These compressed images should be used for online purposes like social networks, WebPages so as to reduce the bandwidth along with achieving the goal i.e. to convey the "thoughts", since details are not essentially important in such situations.

Its recommend to use lossless formats for archiving.

The larger size helps esp., if you are cropping a portion of the photo and using only the crop. Compare the two crops - one from your original, another from the resized one. You will notice the difference. If that diff is OK, go ahead.

The way I understood, once you re-size you would delete the originals. Think carefully about that as you cannot "upscale" the resolution back to its original size. Hence this caveat re-sizer!

Even Microsoft has a free re-sizer that I use for uploading.

Back