Photoshop work to make you drool.

DanDroiD

Skilled
I wanted to post this for those of you that are interested in Matte Painting, most of this work is predominantly done in photoshop, but also in other programs such as painter.

These Matte Painters have some great Photoshop and large format painting and have done work for movie's such as Lord of The Rings. There is also some great concept art for games,film and video.

Dusso

sparth

ben procter

Ryan Church

This site is of course dedicated to matt painting.

Welcome to MattePainting.Org

Those posters with matt painting are awesome

Can we use them in non-comerical projects ?

Coz i do alot of signature making and website designing with photoshop

technically I would likely say no... I certainly couldn't condone it but theoretically who's to say that (if you did do something with one of the images and changed it enough that no-one recognized it) anyone would find out.

Dark Star said:
Wow :O

These are called matte paintings :S I thought paintings like these can only be achieved from 3dmodelling software ?

These guys are all masters at their work... but I think Dusso is my fave. He has a dvd collection available where he shows you how to paint in these large formats.. and they are truly inspirational. I have neve seen anyone use photoshop the way he does.. it will surely blow you completely away.

There is a school out in Southern Cal called Gnomon where he and a number of other well known Matte Painters teach and they have all kinds of tutorials dvd's available too.

Gnomon is the place to go if you want to learn anything digital from Compositing to 3d to paint.

Most of the Matte Painters that I listed paint digitally (or not) for movies. In relation to this, it means large format painting often used for scenery or backgrounds and can be thousands of pixel in size. If you look at some of Dusso's work you will recognize background scenery from Lord of The Rings and Star Wars movie's. In the old days like the original Star Wars movie, much of this was traditionally painted.

Another newer way that Matte painting is being used for movies is Camera Mapping. basically what this entails is

... for example creating a 3D scene for a shot with some crazy looking fantasy 3d castle. What they do is put a 3d camera which is locked pointing at the castle from a good distance away, and then they render out a still image at somewhere around 3 times the final resolution. Then a Matte painter will come in and hand paint the image with cool details and make it look realistic... (often using photographic sources mingled with digital paint) Then they use the locked camera to project the image back on to the 3d castle giving a much more realistic and detailed appearance than a normal 3D texture. Then they take a second camera and they can do a fly by or a pan or something.. this is very prevalent in Lord of The Rings where they did a ton of this and it looked awesome.

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
Most of the Matte Painters that I listed paint digitally (or not) for movies. In relation to this, it means large format painting often used for scenery or backgrounds and can be thousands of pixel in size. If you look at some of Dusso's work you will recognize background scenery from Lord of The Rings and Star Wars movie's. In the old days like the original Star Wars movie, much of this was traditionally painted.

Another newer way that Matte painting is being used for movies is Camera Mapping. basically what this entails is

... for example creating a 3D scene for a shot with some crazy looking fantasy 3d castle. What they do is put a 3d camera which is locked pointing at the castle from a good distance away, and then they render out a still image at somewhere around 3 times the final resolution. Then a Matte painter will come in and hand paint the image with cool details and make it look realistic... (often using photographic sources mingled with digital paint) Then they use the locked camera to project the image back on to the 3d castle giving a much more realistic and detailed appearance than a normal 3D texture. Then they take a second camera and they can do a fly by or a pan or something.. this is very prevalent in Lord of The Rings where they did a ton of this and it looked awesome.

Thanks! So if I understand correctly, the term mainly refers to rendering background scenery for movies & is thus distinct from, say, painting landscapes which are on a smaller canvas.

^ I wouldn't say that exactly.

Matte is actually defined as "the property of having little or no contrast; lacking highlights or gloss".You see when you generally create stuff like a painting, digital or handmade, the first thing you see but not necessarily note is the not at all lifelike colour contrast.In matte paintings this is not the case, you take special care to make it lifelike, like a real photograph of someplace.

Matte painting is a style of Painting. It is widely used for creating background scenery for various animated as well as real world movies where in you have created a lot of 3D stuff which already takes a lot of resources to render so you cut down on one thing.

For example, King Kong, the new one, the gorilla and the tower it climbs as well as a few skyscrapers around it are all created on the computer screen whereas the whole city as such is a matte painting.

^^ A decent description, thanks :)

kidrow said:
Thanks! So if I understand correctly, the term mainly refers to rendering background scenery for movies & is thus distinct from, say, painting landscapes which are on a smaller canvas.

I think it really covers a lot more ground than that , but in the context of the Artists I posted... somewhat, yes. It really isn't that cut and dry since the terminology has evolved from it's original intended meaning to include more :)

Thanks a lot for your description guys. The point about the lighting, contrast, setting being lifelike seems to hit the nail on the head [until someone comes up with a different take on it]. At the end of the day, it's great art!

Thanks for the post! [though I ended up getting depressed thinking how far I've to go]

Back