PC Peripherals Pi Blacks go down the drain - G.Skill RMA process help required!

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Long story short - the 2x2GB PI Black sticks have gone bad with memtest indicating errors. ):

Can anyone give me pointers to how to go about doing the RMA process? IINM Udit had sent his sticks to Taiwan sometime back and I think can help me here.

I've downloaded the form from here. However, the first 3 rows asks me the original invoice number, invoice date and place of purchase. SInce I got these through KMD what would I be filling in the first 2 sections?

Finally, I will have mail it to the Taiwan office with the defective sticks and the completed form, using Speed Post/EMS.

But how do I ensure that the replacement kit actually reaches me? I'd ordered a game from Playasia and it never reached me by far. To evade the customs I can probably show them the docket receipt of the forward consignment but I'm not sure of the kit reaching me part.

Can someone shed some light on this? Someone who's actually done the RMA process.

Thanks in advance!

PS: Lesson learnt the harder way - better off buying such things locally! ):

You could try PM'ing KMD. AFAIK he's always willing to help out with RMA's. You might have to pay shipping costs though.

^In fact I'll mostly go the KMD way itself considering the hassles involved with the replacement kit going missing mid-way and customs issues.

I have PM'd KMD as well. :)

Thanks to Udit and Bikey for the support - I did have a word with them.

So sorry for the trouble you are having mate, LMD is a nice businessman and he will help you in this.

But if you want higher OCing RAMs then my friend is putting up a sale thread of 1066 Mhz Team xtreems 2x2 CL 5-5-5-15 rams by 2moro.

^Have dealt with KMD for the RMA of a Razer DA before. :)

Thanks for the support! I will be switching to the i7 architecture after a couple of months so this needs to hold on for only a while.

Though I didnt go through the RMA process itself, I was considering returning a Corsair Voyager pen drive sometime back. I had e-mailed techsupport about it and they had generated a RMA number for my request which I was to quote while shipping the drive to Taiwan. Perhaps you need to do the same.

^Yeah thats exactly what I'm supposed to do but I do not want to take chances with the return shipment. I have no clue if the customs would ever hand it over howsoever small the consignment may be.

KMD handles everything so if he agrees to it, I'll go ahead with it.

^ Yeah ,I suggest go the KMD way or use private courier companies like FED-EX ,DHL to ensure delivery. But sending them via these companies would be an expensive affair. :p

Your's is still just 2 sticks of RAM .In my case a complete motherboard might need replacement from US soon. My P5Q PRO bought from newegg is acting weird and I have no idea how to get it RMA'ed. KMD said He can't help as it wasn't bought from him.

Asus USA says , If I ship the board to them they can provide RMA service but they will only ship back the new board to a US address.

I am kinda stuck :(. At the time of purchase the deal was so tempting cause I got it for literally half the Indian price :rofl:.

^I thought KMD also did RMAs for products not purchased through him. stalker IIRC did tell me that he handled applications for foreign universities. :p

Anyways, take care with your sticks faheem. Do not supply volts in excess of 2.1v to them and if possible have a fan blowing air towards the sticks. Even a small one could easily be zip-tied to those tall heatsinks itself. THis thought only corssed my mind after the incident happened.

I saw the RMA part coming since a while. When I used to unrar something, the winrar file always indicated corrupt files within. Whereas the same used to unrar on my friend's PC flawlessly. Heck, I could even OC my E8400 to 4G without a fuss on my previous board. The IX38 has been sent for RMA which's another story, sigh. ):

Ok not sure about the GSKill this but I just got my OCZ RAM sticks RMAd, not less than 2 weeks ago.

All you need to do is send over the RAM sticks to their office, either to the USA office or the Taiwan office. Thats all you need to do. Make use of reputed courier service.

Stay worry free about the return shipping. Everything, including the customs will be taken care of by the GSkill.

It took a week for my stuff to reach the US office and they sent the stuff via UPS Express Service. Less than 3 days and the RAM was with me. (I guess they gave me 1600MHz RAM in liu of the bad 1333 sticks I had. THe newer sticks OC like hell..)

Anyway, if you can be sure of sending the stuff to them, the rest is something you can just forget.

Hope that helps.

The sending part is not a problem - I would be using the EMS Speedpost service which has a guaranteed delivery with tracking service. So sending isn't an issue. :)

FWIK, G.Skill sends the replacement sticks through a service which doesn't have a tracking system. I wouldn't really mind if they send it thru UPS/Fed-Ex/DHL - all these are reknown to do the best service on the planet.

Anyways, I have send them a mail as well asking if they could send by DHL or any such service. Shall keep this thread updated with the status. :)

Thanks for the input Vasishta.

Desecrator, had you over volted this sticks..? Also when you got the Memtest error, was your system on absolute stock, and RAM running at default. I know this is a far shot, and you must be sure of your diagnostics, but when I run Memtest with my OC'ed CPU I get Memtest errors, if I run it on stock no errors -- this being the CPU, and the sticks at the official 2.1V/1066. Also, were you getting BSODs, which prompted you to run the Memtest, or was it a random thought.

And, not to throw a spanner in the works, Memtest does return false positives. Tried LinX..?

^Yup faced BSODs when I tried 3.6G - I was even unable to login into Windows, no matter what. No overvolting done ever. I never passed anything beyond 2.1v either.

I knew the sticks were dying long before. Just that it gave up on my present Gigabyte G31 setup - good that it finally did. I could finally get off my lazy arse and get it replaced! :p

Bah cant be bothered with Linx now. Already packed the sticks ready to be sent. :ashamed: :p

Update:

Just got a response to the mail I had sent to the RMA department with the RMA code generated.

Mr. Otis Huang was kind enough to let me know that the replacement package shall be sent through DHL. I cannot be grateful enough for G.Skill's support! :D

Many thanks to Udit once again.

^ Awesome ! Congrats :D Wish Asus showed provided similar global support services. I am still thinking of trying my luck for one last time by mailing some one @ Asus .Last time i just had a chat with some support guy on Asus US site.

^Tell you what faheem - if that customer support doesn't wish to send it to India, ask them to send it to stalker. For a decent price, USPS will send it to India with tracking. :)

@vercetti - yeah shall let you know the shipping expense tomorrow. :)

Atleast you can RMA!
Few months back my system stopped booting, thought it was the video card. didnt have time to figure out what was wrong but later figured out it was one of my ram sticks!
One of my precious cellshock had died. :(

Last night the other stick also went kaput :( Both My precious cellshocks dead! 20K gone. Dont know what to do. :O

Desecrator said:
^Tell you what faheem - if that customer support doesn't wish to send it to India, ask them to send it to stalker. For a decent price, USPS will send it to India with tracking. :)

Yeah I thought of the same as I have some friends in US as well but sending it via Speed Post would cost 700-1000 bucks.Return shipping via USPS would be 30-35$ and if customs get moody ,might have to pay some more cash.

Instead would go for a new G31/41 board or a used UD3P(know of someone selling it for a good price ;) ).

Let's see the board is completely kaput , need to test it again and see. It could be the PSU as well.:ashamed: Enough of OT.

Keep us updated about your RAM.

Back