Pick Your Poison

I got a used HD599 SE earlier today. This is something else. I have never had headphone this good. The level of details and instrument separation is damn good. Even busy songs don't sound like a lump of sound.

The volume is fine on an iPhone. This is my first open back and I absolutely love this.
Ayy congrats dude! I got my first open back recently (Hifiman HE400i) as well and I'm loving them to bits like you. Exactly the same impression - the instrument separation, details and soundstage is magical!

If and when you can, I'd recommend getting some lossless files (preferably 24bit) and a decent DAC, trust me they will sound even better with them! And welcome to the rabbit hole haha, it's quite a slippery slope from here on XD

Ayy congrats dude! I got my first open back recently (Hifiman HE400i) as well and I'm loving them to bits like you. Exactly the same impression - the instrument separation, details and soundstage is magical!

If and when you can, I'd recommend getting some lossless files (preferably 24bit) and a decent DAC, trust me they will sound even better with them! And welcome to the rabbit hole haha, it's quite a slippery slope from here on XD
Hahahahaha... Exactly...You know what, the reason I delayed the purchase was precisely this. I was afraid that this could turn out to be my gateway drug. Hopefully it doesn't become that way because I am not at a place in my life to be spending big on audio. At the very least, I hope that the slope is gradual rather than steep lol

The 400i had great reviews and looks very premium. I am sure they awesome ones to start your open back journey.

I was afraid that this could turn out to be my gateway drug. Hopefully it doesn't become that way because I am not at a place in my life to be spending big on audio. At the very least, I hope that the slope is gradual rather than steep lol
And other lies you can tell yourself

:p
My gateway drug was the Apple Type C to 3.5mm dongle. I was a happy man with my basic IEMs till I got these. I was blown away by their sq, then started wondering how much better could it get (within my budgetary constraints). One month later, I buy the Hifiman. I am incredibly happy, except that the dongle is no longer sufficient to power these to my liking with an equalizer applied. So a week after I get the HE400i, I order the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. It's been about a week since then, and I find myself looking at digital audio players and converting my music library to lossless in my free time now XD

Strap in for the ride, it's only the beginning!

Last edited:
Back