Pigeon 'faster than broadband'

Naga

Skilled
BBC NEWS | Africa | SA pigeon 'faster than broadband'
Broadband promised to unite the world with super-fast data delivery - but in South Africa it seems the web is still no faster than a humble pigeon.

A Durban IT company pitted an 11-month-old bird armed with a 4GB memory stick against the ADSL service from the country's biggest web firm, Telkom.

Winston the pigeon took two hours to carry the data 60 miles - in the same time the ADSL had sent 4% of the data.

I wonder which animal would lose in India...

max_demon said:
what if we tie 1 TB HDD to pidgen

What's a pidgen :S

If you are talking about a Pigeon, then it won't be able to fly with a 1TB HDD. :rofl:

Anyway, maybe India should also start harnessing pigeon power.

vikram.krishan said:
Here is a Trivia: Winston the pigeon took two hours to carry the 4GB memory stick data 60 miles -so what is the speed in Kbps.

583 Kbps. :p

Even with a 32GB Thumb drive, the speed would be 4Mbps. Too costly I guess. But then I guess they can use multiple pigeons for more bandwidth :rofl:

From the RFC:

Overview and Rational

Avian carriers can provide high delay, low throughput, and low altitude service. The connection topology is limited to a single point-to-point path for each carrier, used with standard carriers, but many carriers can be used without significant interference with each other, outside of early spring.

Discussion

Multiple types of service can be provided with a prioritized pecking order. An additional property is built-in worm detection and eradication.

While broadcasting is not specified, storms can cause data loss. There is persistent delivery retry, until the carrier drops. Audit trails are automatically generated, and can often be found on logs and cable trays.

Classic :D

Thanks Naga for the news and greenhorn for the IPoAC link.

Back