Storage Solutions Pioneer Creates 16-layer Disc With 400 GB Capacity

Tokyo (Japan) - A new generation of high capacity optical discs could be on the way as Pioneer Pioneer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia claims to have developed read-only disc Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia media with 16 layers and a total capacity of 400 GB. The company believes that the technology could "greatly reduce the number of discs to be used and therefore contribute to the conservation of resources."

Source: Pioneer Creates 16-layer Disc With 400 GB Capacity - Tom's Hardware

Don't want to sound negative but most of these technologies never make it to the market either due to poor marketing or prohibitive manufacturing costs or simply manufacturer reluctance to adopt new technology when they can milk the consumer for existing technologies.

sydras said:
Don't want to sound negative but most of these technologies never make it to the market either due to poor marketing or prohibitive manufacturing costs or simply manufacturer reluctance to adopt new technology when they can milk the consumer for existing technologies.

That's what came to mind when I read the title.

Anyone remember the Fluoroscent Discs which were claimed that they will be in the market in a couple of years? No sign of them or drives for them as yet. :p

Corleone said:
That's what came to mind when I read the title.

Anyone remember the Fluoroscent Discs which were claimed that they will be in the market in a couple of years? No sign of them or drives for them as yet. :p

You mean holographic discs? Even I remember reading about them and no sign of them yet. Over the years, I've read articles on how scientists have made a 20 times denser CD, 200 times more denser CD etc. and no sign of them :no: .

Back