Place to eat in Cochin - Vegetarian food

TechHead

ex-Mod
Hey, will be in Cochin for a conference for the next four days.
Have a little time off tomorrow. I've been to Cochin before, through Matancherry and the antique shops there.
Will be staying at Gokalam Park Hotel, which is on M G Road. Any suggestions on where to eat? I'm vegetarian, but open to all sorts of cuisines.

Also, how far are the Chinese fishing nets from MG Road? Autos would ply to and from the nets, right?

TIA.

Chinese fishing nets can be found at Fort Kochi which is a long way from MG Road. You can take a bus from MG Road to Fort Kochi or travel via a rick though it might set you back by 100~150 Rs.

For a fine dining experience, head to Sri Krishna Inn at Warriom Road, near Chinmaya Vidya Peeth. The restaurant wouldn't look like one from outside since it was a house prior to converting and renovating it into a dining place. But the ambiance and food served is pretty good. Strictly veg. The owner's wife has done some mind-blowing mural paintings which has been displayed inside. Do give it a try if you can.

Location here - Sree Krishna Inn

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Btw Gokulam Park isn't at MG Road IIRC. It is located at Kaloor very adjacent to an over-bridge.

The location of that restaurant gannu mentioned from google maps is nowhere near kaloor and I thought gokulam park hotel was near to kaloor than on mg road :S

Alternatively, take boat to fort kochi from near Marine Drive which is more enjoyable imo.

As far as restaurants in MG road and nearby go;
Hotel Abad Plaza - real good, probably my fav of the lot I've tried
Polakulathu(has bar attached though its restaurant is good)
On Chitoor road(which runs parallel to MG road) there is a good restaurant for evening meals like vellappams etc(its near International Hotel)

I don't think you will have any problem finding decent places to eat on MG road though there's a lot more options for people who eat non-veg and if all else fails there's subway/dominos and veg chains like saravanas & co etc.

Hotel Abad Plaza --> I second this. :D

If you are into non veg, there are some small shops near the south train station. near the over bridge. They serve brilliant dishes. spicy and delicious.

Very near. Less than a KM. It is like a T-junction. Refer the map here.

Oberon is very far! It is located at the Bypass Road and you will end up spending another 150 for the rick from MG Road to the mall. Heck, after having seen all these malls in Bombay, I doubt if Oberon would even appeal to you. It cannot be even compared to the Oberoi at Goregaon. :lol:

From Gokulam (not Gakalam! :p) Park to Warriom Road, maybe around 30~40 Rs. Not beyond 4~5 Km.

chiron said:
The location of that restaurant gannu mentioned from google maps is nowhere near kaloor and I thought gokulam park hotel was near to kaloor than on mg road :S

Alternatively, take boat to fort kochi from near Marine Drive which is more enjoyable imo.

As far as restaurants in MG road and nearby go;

Hotel Abad Plaza - real good, probably my fav of the lot I've tried

Polakulathu(has bar attached though its restaurant is good)

On Chitoor road(which runs parallel to MG road) there is a good restaurant for evening meals like vellappams etc(its near International Hotel)

I don't think you will have any problem finding decent places to eat on MG road though there's a lot more options for people who eat non-veg and if all else fails there's subway/dominos and veg chains like saravanas & co etc.

Gannu, cheers for the map.Helps a lot.

I'll check out the Holiday Inn as well..Chakkaraparambu junction, seems to be 3-4KM from Gokulam Park.

Decided Hyderabad was too hot for me - swapped states with my colleague and took over Kerala :lol:

Will be travelling all over - Cochin, Trivandrum, Kannur, Trichur :p

Sent from my MAtrix using T'talk Pro

Freaky saar, regret missing you there, am going for an endoscopists' conference. Boring, but necessary :p

My boss is joining me on Saturday, there will be four of us there.. Sat night dinner is at the Taj. They have an excellent coffee shop on the ground floor IIRC.

if you like the nature and sea and the backwaters... head to boat jetty, get a ticket and get a good cam with you to shoot nature at its splendour.

And oh guess it will be raining now a days... so an added advantage if you like to get wet... voila!!

Enjoy your warm stay and enjoy the veg hospitality...!

wait no one recommended bimbi's ??????

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

just a heads up , indian coffee house serves beef , apparently its vegetarian over there ..... just like fish in veg in calcutta

You can try out :

Gokulam Ootupura near Kadavanthra, Pai Dosa near padma junction on MG Road, Bimbis at Jos Junction on MG road, Dal Roti at Fort Kochi etc

Cocoa Tree has nice sandwiches and pastries, so does Pandal cake shop on Kaloor kadavanthra road .

Wangs is right opposite to where you stay. So quite easy if you are in the mood for Chinese.

Gannu said:
Forgot to mention, there is a good coffee shop called 'Kashi art cafe' at Fort Kochi. Serves amazing coffee and cakes! Might like it - Kashi Art Gallery

Goes to Freaky as well. :p

damn i used to drive down to fort kochi just for that chocolate cake over there :| ,, sigh , i miss it

Back