Planning to upgrade - suggestions pls

vishi

Disciple
Hi all,

I have an old (really really old) P4 machine with 1GB RAM that I bought sometime in 2004-05 (cant even remember when I bought it!). Its served me well and its time for me to get a new machine - just the CPU (cabinet).

My budget is 15K (for a decent rig) and I may just extend that to 20K (if I can get a high performance machine). I would buy Intel preferably - thats because I have not used AMD based machines at all. So I am open to both brands, but have a slight preference towards Intel.

My usage would be mainly for browsing, HD video playback, Some Photoshop work, Video conversions, casual gaming (not too keen on gaming), and of-course, the odd Word/PPT/XL work.

I would also be running my machine 24x7 (I have my FTP Server on all the time) and thus would like something that will keep it going on and on...without having to worry about over-heating and cooling.

My current rig (the old socket 478 fan) makes a LOT of whining noise and it kind of gets irritating. So, I am looking for something that's QUIET and COOL. I dont want to listen to the constant drone/whining noise of fans when I am playing movies. Any suggestions?

Oh - and one more thing ... my place is on a main road and it is pretty dusty - I want something that can be as dust-free as possible (cabinet should not have many "ventilation holes"):hap5:

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor AMD Athlon II X2 240(2.8Ghz, 2 cores, 2MB Cache) 2800

Motherboard Biostar A780L 2500

RAM Kingston 2GB DDR2 800MHz 2200

HDD 500 GB Seagate 1900

GPU On Board Raedon HD3000 -

Monitor Dell E1910IN 5850

Cabinet Zebronics Bijili with 400w SMPS 1700

PSU/SMPS NA -

Key Board Logitech SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 650

Mouse NA -

ODD L.G. GH22NS50 OEM SATA DVD-Writer 950

Total ~18k

If u want DDRIII mobo then consider the Gigabyte 74GMT-S2~2.7k/ Biostar TA785G3~3.8k. Kingston DDRIII 1333MHz RAM~2.3k

If Intel only then,

Intel E5300~3k

Gigabyte G41MT-ES2L ~ 2.6k

Kingston DDRIII 1333MHz RAM~2.3k

Back