Video Plasma or LCD ? HD Ready or Full HD?

Hey guys,
I am planning to get a TV tomorrow (since its dushera and i expect some good offers from Vijay sales or someone else).
After going through some comparison sites online, most concluded that plasma was better than lcd though lcd did have its own merits. Plasma for instance has better viewing angles and one site stated that plasma was better suited for fast-moving action on-screen.
But the thing i wonder is why are people opting for more lcds when plasmas are equally good and are equally priced more often than not. Is it something to do with the earlier versions of the plasmas which broke down very fast?

Coming back to my question...the plan is to get mostly a 37 inch tv (rare chance is 40 inches). I felt Panasonic Viera was awesome when i had seen it sometime back in a mall but i dont remember as to whether it was a lcd or plasma. Budget is around 60-65k.(before exhange). Please refer some other ones which are equally good or better..and please pardon me if prices are inappropriate to the size i mentioned but i saw a samsung ad today of 42 inches for 67 odd in the newspaper.

Lastly how does a Full HD differ from a HD ready tv? And can i connect my laptop to the tv (which you are recommending) to watch my hd movies :p
Thanks.

well yes u can use ur laptop to watch HD movies,well the debate about lcd vs plasma refer this thread
http://www.techenclave.com/consumer-electronics/need-help-buying-new-hd-ready-119119.html

so if u are primarly going to watch SD content then get a plasma like panasonic pv8 since it has lower resolution so less upscaling ,but if u plan to use it for HD u can get urself a lcd and since u are going to use ur laptop its again better to get a lcd since plasma are subjected to burn in which will cause a permanent damage on the screen.this applies plasmas of 2008 too.

motion handling in lcd have greatly improved over the years and more then a match to current genertaion plasmas.
as to why people are buying lcds is that u dont have to fear that much about burn in,and people who want to use their game consoles for gaming preferred lcds for obvious reason,if u look back around 2 years ago plasma where actually cheaper then lcds yet lcds started to dominate and companies like sony who where the leaders in crt performance,initially started selling plasma but moved on to lcds,also the leaders of plasma tech pioneer is also going to start selling lcds in the near future and they are going to stop using in house plasma panels and are going to use panasonic plasma panels.
also the power consumption of lcds were usually much lower then plasma.and people prefer the sharp images produced by lcds.

also the contrast levels and black levels of some lcds like samsung and sony have even surpassed many plasma tv except a few like the pioneer and panasonic FHD plasmas.and lcds equipped with LED backlight can actually surpass the black levels of plasma.

for ur budget u can get urself a Samsung LA40A550P1 .and if u are not worried about warranty u can buy them in the grey market and can also go for a sony KLV-40V400A series this lcd has the contrast and black level advantage,and unlike the samsung which has a very high input lag,the sony input lag is comparable to lcd monitors so is again good for gaming.

adder said:
for ur budget u can get urself a Samsung LA40A550P1 .and if u are not worried about warranty u can buy them in the grey market and can also go for a sony KLV-40V400A series this lcd has the contrast and black level advantage,and unlike the samsung which has a very high input lag,the sony input lag is comparable to lcd monitors so is again good for gaming.

any idea about the grey market pricing for the same?

EDIT: FUll HD is true full 1080P while HD ready is 1080i

i am quite unaware of these terminologies.. i.e I dont get the difference between the 'p' and the 'i'.

From a Layman's P.o.v how will it affect my viewing :p

thegamerulez said:
i am quite unaware of these terminologies.. i.e I dont get the difference between the 'p' and the 'i'.

FHD video will have a resolution of 1920x1080pixels where as a HD video will typically have a resolution of 1280x720pixels
well lets the pictures speak.the images below are from a sony KLV-46W400A FHD television.

16_169_117.jpg

the above image is a 720p HD image viewed from a sony KLV-46W400A

16_169_118.jpg

the above image is a 1080p HD image viewed from a sony KLV-46W400A

36_136_117.jpg

the above image is a 720p HD image viewed from a samsung HD ready(not FHD) plasma.

36_136_118.jpg

the above image is a 1080p HD image viewed from a samsung HD ready(its not FHD) plasma.

thegamerulez said:

The p stands for progressive and the i stands for interlaced. This all differs in how the data is transferred between source to destination.

Say your display is made of 1080 vertical lines and 768 horizontal lines (1080X768).

So in interlaced mode, it displays odd vertical lines (540 lines of pixels) in 1/60th of a second and then the even vertical lines in next 1/60th of a second. So in 1/30th of a second one frame is reconstructed on your screen.

Why is this done? Because of bandwidth issues while transmitting television signals. It would require half the bandwidth to transfer 540 line of pixel at a time. So I think, in near future too television would not be switching over to 1080p signal.

The progressive mode combines the signal and displays the entire image in a single pass for 1/30th of a second. This can be done at the destination like in case of a 1080p TV.

So coming to the layman terms.. The advantage is that you can sit closer to a 1080p TV and yet experience more sharpness than a 1080i TV.

This is coz it packs more pixels densely and it has no flicker, caused by deinterlacing of alternate frames. Again this flicker is hardly noticeable. All your present televisions get interlaced signals.

:bleh: I loved my engg final year subjects. Cant remember which subject this was from.

Which should you buy? If the price difference is not much then go for P otherwise stick with I. Because it is as good and not very noticeable unless you sit very close. If you can notice considerable difference, then it is probably the underlying processor doing the signal processing and not necessarily the P vs I difference.

I suggest the Panasonic Viera PV8D-42 incher for that price. Close to 65k before exchange. :)

Forget Full HD. Get a 720p video and view it on that TV.

@Renegade: U'd all these to learn for the final year subjects?? :O

adder said:
so if u are primarly going to watch SD content then get a plasma like panasonic pv8 since it has lower resolution so less upscaling ,but if u plan to use it for HD u can get urself a lcd and since u are going to use ur laptop its again better to get a lcd since plasma are subjected to burn in which will cause a permanent damage on the screen.this applies plasmas of 2008 too.

motion handling in lcd have greatly improved over the years and more then a match to current genertaion plasmas.
as to why people are buying lcds is that u dont have to fear that much about burn in,and people who want to use their game consoles for gaming preferred lcds for obvious reason,if u look back around 2 years ago plasma where actually cheaper then lcds yet lcds started to dominate and companies like sony who where the leaders in crt performance,initially started selling plasma but moved on to lcds,also the leaders of plasma tech pioneer is also going to start selling lcds in the near future and they are going to stop using in house plasma panels and are going to use panasonic plasma panels.
also the power consumption of lcds were usually much lower then plasma.and people prefer the sharp images produced by lcds.

also the contrast levels and black levels of some lcds like samsung and sony have even surpassed many plasma tv except a few like the pioneer and panasonic FHD plasmas.and lcds equipped with LED backlight can actually surpass the black levels of plasma.

Adder better update your comments before chaos comes in here and blows them apart bit by bit.. :bleh:

anyways just got my friend a pv8d for 55k today (that to over phone).. kudos to my dealers for always helping me get the best prices!

guys...

there is a viajy sales offer today

its a Panasonic 42 inch Plasma TH42PV8H (Dunno if its full HD or not :S)

its 52990 after exchange..

shall i go for it?

thegamerulez said:
guys...

there is a viajy sales offer today
its a Panasonic 42 inch Plasma TH42PV8H (Dunno if its full HD or not :S)
its 52990 after exchange..

shall i go for it?

pls reply fast ppl.. need to decide by afternoon :p

thegamerulez said:
i dont find any offer for it...he maynot give me an adequate amount for my old 29 inches..

well howmuch is he quoting before and after the exchange?

theres a big Electronics expo going on in hyderabad which ill be attending today or tomorrow so i can get the pricing from there and maybe you can ask ur dealer to match that?

amityrock said:
Adder better update your comments before chaos comes in here and blows them apart bit by bit.. :bleh:

anyways just got my friend a pv8d for 55k today (that to over phone).. kudos to my dealers for always helping me get the best prices!

i already had a good discussion with chaos the same pictures as posted above in another forums exactly the same comparision of lcd vs plasma.:p

Rave said:
why not the samsung 40" LCD the LA40A550?
its full hd as well

well even in other forums around the world u well never get a honest reply about the discussion lcd vs plasma,since there a lot of plasma fan boys and lcd fan boys,if plasma was so superior then why is that lcds have take over the lead in flat screen displays,even though the lcds was more expensive then plasma people still prefered lcds,why is pioneer who makes the best reference level plasmas also is switching to lcds and they are are not going to produce in house plasma panels anymore but are going to use panasonic plasma.
and the samsung LA40A550 is realy good,but being a FHD lcd will not be good for SD content for that matter any flat panel display that is FHD including the pioneer KURO plasma is no better then FHD LCD,and lcds like samsung series 8 contrast levels are so close to the pioneer kuro just around 20% less.

^^ hey adder,

you keep mentioning about the lcd vs plasma prices an all.. but the fact, afaik is that lcds are cheaper to manufacture than plasma's an hence the worlds shifting to them. this i feel is the reason why companies are abandoning plasma over lcds..

sorry for the o/t

Back