Video Plasma or LCD TV ?

Freaky

ex-Mod
A colleague of mine wants to pick up 40 ~ 42" LCD or Plasma TV. There was an ad in today's paper for a promo on the Panasonic TH-42PV7 (MRP of Rs.62k after a 10k discount). This is a HD Ready plasma with a resolution of 1024*768. Want expert opinions on if this is a good buy or are there better ones which you can buy for 60k (Retail only :p )

Need to know asap as the promo lasts only till tomorrow and if its a good buy, he doesn't want to miss it.

hey buddy..

if hes ready to up his budget.. id advice the hitachi 42" full hd (1080p) lcd which retails for about 80-83k.. the benefits are self evident its an lcd (although pics in plasma are better but lcd is going to be the better of tech in the long run) .. its full hd (unlike others which r hd ready) and its a guaranteed s-ips panel ..

other in 60k the panny plasma is also a good choice as a lot of people here would advice!

Hmmm.. Let me see if he is comfortable in extending the budget. thanks for the suggestion :)

@Superczar, Techead and Anish, where are you people ? :p

Freaky said:
A colleague of mine wants to pick up 40 ~ 42" LCD or Plasma TV. There was an ad in today's paper for a promo on the Panasonic TH-42PV7 (MRP of Rs.62k after a 10k discount). This is a HD Ready plasma with a resolution of 1024*768. Want expert opinions on if this is a good buy or are there better ones which you can buy for 60k (Retail only :p )

Need to know asap as the promo lasts only till tomorrow and if its a good buy, he doesn't want to miss it.

hey brother,
basically it depends upon where do you need that television i.e. hall or room. for an area like a living room or hall plasma would be a better option considering its sound effects and all. For bedrooms or any room its always an LCD is suggestible considering space acquired and all cuz your budget is sufficient for either of them.

Here's my note: That Plasma is great for watching conventional TV, much better than any LCD you can get at that size. So for the majority of the time, that screen will be better than any comparable LCD and would do damn good at 720p HD movies too with it's black levels (though at a slightly lesser resolution).

My advice would be to pull the trigger and enjoy the screen dammit. :D And btw, at 60k, you won't have many good options for a 40"+ LCD.

Payne

Freaky said:
Hmmm.. Let me see if he is comfortable in extending the budget. thanks for the suggestion :)

@Superczar, Techead and Anish, where are you people ? :p
Depends totally on the application :)

For TATA Sky, DVD's and HD, the Plasma will kill in LCD purely in terms of colours and blacks.

If you intend to use it as a PC monitor even for a bit, I'd strongly suggest a LCD. The Plasma will satuarate all the text off your display and make it look surrealistically colourful :rofl:

read smewer tht plasma has heat issues n lifetime is less.......compared to an LCD......I wud prefer LCD:D....do check for it...

WingZero said:
read smewer tht plasma has heat issues n lifetime is less.......compared to an LCD......I wud prefer LCD:D....do check for it...

That plasma technology is short-lived is one of the biggest myths out there. While it's true that older models didn't always last as long as other technologies, rest assured you can enjoy today's plasma televisions for at least 60,000 hours to half luminance*, based on laboratory testing.

Thats typically 20 years life if you watch TV 10 hrs a day.

For TataSky/DVDs its a no contest... Plasmas all the way and the Panny is a good one . Even HD looks good on the Viera as the upscaler is pretty good.

Guys do u mean to say over all Plasma's are the best??

ATM which are cheaper??
Also which brands hav the best plasma + overall presence in india(in terms of service, warranty etc..)

TataSky or DVD will be the primary source while he may watch HD movies occasionally. So, the Panasonic it is.

Thank you all :)

Party Monger said:
Guys do u mean to say over all Plasma's are the best??

ATM which are cheaper??
Also which brands hav the best plasma + overall presence in india(in terms of service, warranty etc..)

Plasmas are cheaper than LCDs for the same diagonal viewing area;

Panasonic, Hitachi etc. Altough if u can find a Pioneer Kuro, nothing beats that; Its expensive compared to Panasonic & Hitachi but then the price's well worth it; :)

^Good choice! As reiterated above, plasmas are now good for nighttime viewing, STB/DishTV/Tatasky and normal DVDs/gaming.

LCDs are slightly better for PCs and daytime viewing in my experience. I might be going in for another large-screen TV, a plasma this time. Those new '07 Panasonics are quite good.

Great !! Well, seems that the discount was a farce. Some of the dealers that he knows all quote 60k as being the retail price :p

Thank You All :)

Oh and sorry for that, forgot to mention that the Street Price for that screen is 60k wonly. :D I saw it e-Zone, Hyderabad a few months back for 62k!

What abt. the burn in issues?? have they been completely rectified??? I mean won't watching channels like cnn for say 4-5hrs. cont. leave a burn in mark??(ard. that channel logo or the fast moving ticker ????

I am not suggesting that you choose lcd over plasma....just wanted to know.

^ Even the newest Panels do leave a slight burn in, but it disappears after around 15 mins of watching a different channel and is very slightly noticeable when its still there.

Anish said:
^ Even the newest Panels do leave a slight burn in, but it disappears after around 15 mins of watching a different channel and is very slightly noticeable when its still there.
Wouldn't that make plasmas unsuitable as a PC monitor? :(

Back