Video Plasma Query

Any idea how these 42" plasmas work with a PC? Do we feed it 1024x768, or keep the rez at 1366x768 and let the plasma scale accordingly??

@TH: Panny have opened a shop in pune somewhere in the Peth area, gotto find it out, will check out teh PV80 n see how it pleases my both left eyes.

vij said:
I have played HD using HD-DVD player.... it downscaled alright..

In PC mode it has to be at native res.

What is PC mode? Is it needed if we connect thru hdmi?

If we output 1024x768, does text render properly or is it stretched? And how to manage PC games? Do we play at 1024x768?

zhopudey said:
What is PC mode? Is it needed if we connect thru hdmi?

If we output 1024x768, does text render properly or is it stretched? And how to manage PC games? Do we play at 1024x768?

I havnt connected thru HDMI yet. HDMI and component won't have such issue coz the internal processor of the plasma will convert the signal properly.

PC mode is through VGA and it will not display anything thats set higher than the native resolution.

The text is crisp enough. I havnt noticed the stretch, they say its supposed to look right at that res without stretch, but I guess it does stretch a bit....I only extend the desktop and use it to play xvids thru VGA. My Asus A8JP lappy does not have HDMI... Il check a sphere out and post back tonight...you planning to buy? :p

But be informed that the "just mode" works very well for 4:3 TV watching. It does not look stretched.
Il try it with my new XPS 1530 and get back....no wait... I dont have HDMI cables...

vij said:
...you planning to buy? :p

But be informed that the "just mode" works very well for 4:3 TV watching. It does not look stretched.

I always put in full efforts in my window shopping :eek:hyeah:

And I've no interest in TV :p

sarang said:
@TH: Panny have opened a shop in pune somewhere in the Peth area, gotto find it out, will check out teh PV80 n see how it pleases my both left eyes.

i thought its opposite the yeshwantrao chavan auditorium? near that ankur shoppee

apollyon said:
i thought its opposite the yeshwantrao chavan auditorium? near that ankur shoppee

Gotto check it out! haven't been there in ages. I did read a huge advt at the 7luvs flyover stating the panny brand shop address in some peth, which i forgot. Will conform n let you know.

BTW did u buy the Kuro? or still hunting for a plasma?

sarang said:
Gotto check it out! haven't been there in ages. I did read a huge advt at the 7luvs flyover stating the panny brand shop address in some peth, which i forgot. Will conform n let you know.

BTW did u buy the Kuro? or still hunting for a plasma?

after seeing the 60" i'm not too keen on gettin the 50" :p so have to wait a bit before the 60" becomes slightly more affordable

TechHead said:
^Quite simple, actually. The inputs can accept a 1080p signal, which are then downscaled by the TV's internal scaler to 1024*768 or 1366*768.
All flat panel displays have scalers..

Whats the point in downscaling the input when you the buy the original discs which are capable of delivering 1080p

^To fit it to the native resolution of the panel, else there will be overscan.
Go check out the Panny plasma in person, you'll be rid of your "1080p" obsession.

tryst said:
Whats the point in downscaling the input when you the buy the original discs which are capable of delivering 1080p

The point is that a) 720p displays are more affordable than 1080p; and more importantly, b) 1080p is not useful in a majority of situations vis-a-vis screen size and seating distance. Check the link in my siggy. :)

Back