Play Station 3 freeze/hang issue

hector19

| Crafted for Gaming |
Adept
Today might be the worst day of my life :(... I think my ps3 gave up.
Here's what happened, was watching a movie & the ps3 froze... Waited for bout 5 mins and nothing happened.. So i just unplugged the chord and restarted it.... The system hangs... Right after the startup when i login to my profile. It hangs and nothing happens.
I tried all troubleshooting but it hangs there too.
1) hard reset : same... Hangs again after start up.
2) Restore to default : the same hangs again.
3) now this is what bothers me i even tried formatting my HDD from safemode but it hangs during the process.

My brother dropped the PS3 a week ago.. HDD fail?
I was on CFW 3.55...and out of warranty. Expired 2 months ago.

What could be the problem here?
Will Sony service/repair my console?
If the system's bricked/failed what are the chances of getting a new one by paying Sony..?

Try swapping the hard drive to another one and see if it works. Isolate and see if it's indeed the console at fault here.

Yeah ill do that... And if the problem is with the Console what options do I have?
And where to get a 2.5inch HDD :(

If the console is out of warranty, then you have no choice but to get a new one.

Regarding the HDD, you'll need to get a spare from someone just to test. Even a smaller capacity one would do just to test if it boots properly with it.

Okay ... i have managed to source a HDD, what should i do ? Just remove the Existing the HHD from the PS3 bay & install the new one ?
any steps after that ?

Update : Checked with a friends HDD Same sh!t :mad:..... Hangs not letting me to format the HDD too :(
Went to Sony Service Center , they told me that since its outta warranty , i need to pay 50% of the price which is Rs 9995/-, & i'll get a brand new PS3 which carries 1 year Warranty. My worry is the CFW 3.55 :( . Good bye to my PS3 scene.

Sorry to head that Hec. Yes, a new one would mean kissing the CFW side good-bye. Else you can look for a used one which is already on CFW and at a cheaper rate. But with the current progress, I doubt anyone would be selling their console.

Forgot to ask this earlier ... My friend told me that Sony wont give me a 'Brand New Console' with a 1 Year Warranty , instead a Refurbished PS3 which carries just 90 Days.
I've Already paid, What the Sony peps told me is this " pay 50% of the price which is Rs 9995/- ( which is a discounted price of the current 320GB model ), & i'll get a brand new PS3 which carries 1 year Warranty. "

Curses !!!
Got a call from Sony on 11th evening that my Replacement has arrived, i go in next day to collect & Bam after 15 mins the lady walks in & " Sir we are very Sorry, We have received a Defective Piece , we have sent it back , U shall get ur new console on Tuesday "
Why me :(

Yea.. why me..
had you got the console back to your place, and then had to file for another replacement .. then it would have been Oh Why o y me!

As if the worst day of my life cuz a console died histrionics wasnt enuf. Get a hold onto yourself will you..

Finally :D
Got the Replacement today, & must be my lucky day... Got a Super Slim PS3 '500' GB instead :D !!!
( Got the Game bundle, But with no games inside ), Time to start WTB thread :p

Back