PlayStation 3 Slim (120 GB)

The Weapon: PlayStation 3 Slim (120 GB) (Pictures a few posts below)
Contents: gaming console, dualshock 3 wireless controller, power cable, a/v cable for tv connection, wireless controller usb charger, manuals and warranty card
Additional Components used not included in console package: HDMI cable

Main Review
The PlayStation 3 Slim or PS3 Slim is a sleek and good looking device with a black matte finish and slightly rounded top side. The power and eject disc buttons are on the front and are nicely backlit. There are two USB ports in the front. I won't go much into details on the hardware but suffice to say its powerful. There's a 45nm process manufactured IBM processor, Nvidia graphics equivalent to a Nvidia 7800 GT and a 256 MB system memory running at a hyper 3.2 GHz. This 3.2 GHz frequency RAM should be roughly equivalent to a PC's 3 GB RAM @ 800-1333 MHz. It also includes a 120 GB hard disk 2 USB ports, 1 HDMI port, digital audio ports, Wifi and ethernet port. You all know that the PS3 Slim is 33% or thereoff lighter, smaller, cooler and consumes that much less energy (avg. 100 watts during gaming compared to PS3 80 GB's 200 watts during gaming. Peak usage of Slim is around 250 watts) that the earlier PS3, so I won't go much into it. But the Slim cannot install Linux OS like the older version could.
Conecting and starting: Connecting the power cable, HDMI cable to a LG Jazz LCD TV, and charging the wireless controller was pretty easy. The power cable, I felt wasn't going inside the port completely. The system start and shuts down pretty fast (under 30 seconds). There are date/time and video settings to be done when first run. The PS3 Slim automatically picked 1080p resolution as the perfect fit for my LCD TV. The Bluray disc drive that the PS3 has doesn't have a tray but rather it opens up when u slide a disc in. Then halfway through the disc feeding it automatically locks on to the disc and pulls it in.
GUI: The system GUI is known as the Cross Media Bar or XMB. The system interface is pretty cool, looks good and has loads of options. Theres PlayStation network availability, PSP connection, video, music and photo gallery, friends chat, Playstation home and you can change pretty much every setting in the system including themes, wallpapers and colours, power settings, sytem settings, video settings, internet settings etc.
Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller: has 15 buttons and two small joysticks and is a comfortable fit for big and small hands alike. The controller is connected via bluetooth to the console and a maximum of 7 controllers can be connected at a time to the console. The vibration feels great and it sits firmly in your hand. The shopkeeper said that five minutes of charging will give you 30 minutes of gameplay and I feel he is right. I have gamed quite a bit and haven't charged it much. It isn't charged out of the box, though.
Gaming:I put the Motorstorm: Pacific Rift disc in and it started loading automatically (you can turn auto-start off). The game is off the hooks. I admit that the graphics card may not be as powerful as a latest PC GPU but the frame rates were incredible and this was the best looking game I have ever seen in my life (I hope more are to follow). The wireless controller has force-feedback and motion sensing. It really is an experience. The feel of the game was incredible. The controller worked smoothly but I haven't really tested motion sensing till now. I was pretty much 10-12 feet away from the tv and the controller worked smoothly without any glitches. The HDMI really brought out the sharp details and work that has gone into bringing out the console and the game. Split screen gaming was also tested using a USB joystick and it was smooth. I noticed that the game's graphic details were slightly reduced while gaming in split-screen.
Video: I loaded Terminator: Salvation into it and it was great watching it, though I thought my DVD Player had processed the visual better than the PS3 Slim. Using the controller as a remote for the movie was pretty weird but suffice to say, the options were many and you can customize the settings to your liking. It has Blu-Ray, DVD, VCD, MPEG4, DivX and XviD support.
Hard Disk and Data Backup:The 120 gb (actually 111 GB) hard disk has good write and read speeds and about 14 odd GB was filled when I first saw its properties. The game saves and other settings are saved in the hard disk automatically but there was no game copy option for Motorstorm: Pacific Rift. Movies, songs, and pictures can also be copied to and from the disk. There is a rather important feature of PS3 data backup (to your portable media), which you can use but it doesn't save your games' 'trophy' data. That trophy data has to be synced with an online server.
PlayStation Network, Home & Life: It is the online multiplayer gaming and network content deliver system on the console. You can play games online using this provided you have a PlayStation Network id (take it from the UK site preferably), update your system software and download various other game demos and updates. I haven't tried it out myself due to lack of net connection. PlayStation Home is the virtual community service on the net for the console and PlayStation Life lets you view news and information from around the world using sources like Google News and the Weather Channel etc, by going around a 3D globe on the net.
Network Connectivity:I had a adhoc network on my laptop up and running but it wasn't getting detected by the PS3. But the console did detect other people's WiFi networks. Of course I didn't connect to them! I tried a lot but the adhoc network just didn't get detected. There was both manual and automatic scanning of networks.
Photo Gallery / Music Service:are other two online features via which you could maintain a photo gallery and the music service lets you download music videos via the VidZone service. You can also copy your own pictures and music files to the console. Your pictures can also be used as wallpapers for the console's screen. Music files when played have a good clear sound and a nice purple animation plays when hearing them.
Security Settings:There are optional security settings for movie playback, internet surfing and for the console whereby parents can control their child's usage and ensure a safe environment.
USB Ports: It detects USB devices such as pen drives, portable hard disks, mice (MX 518), joystick, gamepads etc. Its a help because the wireless controller costs Rs. 3000 if you want to get another one. So, if you have a cheap USB gamepad that can help you in co-operative gaming and save some cash. Logitech MX 518 mouse gets detected but doesn't function much in games. USB gamepad and joystick of Logitech have been tested and they work well with the console but of course, an exact copy of the PS3 controller can be found on a gamepad.
Heating Issues: I have put it in a somewhat cramped space, so the heat around it seems high when I use it for a while. I guess, a open space is better when you use it. Basicaly, this is a computer and dissipates heat like one.
My Buying Experience: It was a great experience and I am fully satisfied with the Rs. 19900 investment that has been made into it. The game cost Rs. 1899 (my friend had got it for 1700@Landmark, Chennai). I purchased it from a Sony Centre, Lajpat Nagar II. But I would like to point out that a few game prices there were outrageous and I had their people call the game dealer directly to confirm the actual current price of the game. For example Little Big Planet had a price tag of 2499 but after talking to the game dealer the actual price was found out to be 1499! If the game is more than six months old then you should confirm the current prixe.
Honestly, if you are earning, buy it otherwise make your parents see that its an all in one media solution with gaming, movie, internet and multiplayer capabilities.

Advantages
>Good looking
>Gaming (awesome and graphically brilliant)
>Supports HDMI and up to 1080p resolution
>Uses 33% less power, lighter, smaller, runs cooler than PS3 80GB Classic model
>Movies (DivX support), photos, music player
>Internet surfing via Wifi or Ethernet port
>120 GB hard disk
>PlayStation Home, network support
>Online gaming
>Blu-ray support (Rest in peace, DVD's!)

Disadvantages
>Games cost mostly 1500 upwards (and upto 4000 also) and game prices in India not standardized
>Accessories are costly (like additional Dualshock controller costs 3000 Rs.)
>U.S type game rental/reselling service not the culture here
>Cannot put into a small place due to heat dissipation
>Cannot install Linux OS in this one
>Important to buy UPS/Surge protector

P.S: Pictures will be uploaded soon and I may touch upon more features that I haven't tested till now.

How did you put it in the review section if you haven't tested all the features and not put the pics? This is something you could have posted it in console gaming section and heck even on the showoff section (yeah you need to put pics as well)

I don't know about others, but this is not a review, You can call it as "Initial impressions". Not that I am telling you to curb your enthusiasm, but reviews section is where users write proper reviews :|.

The Sorcerer, that was unnecessary. i have always written my reviews like this. This is not a MIT sponsored lab experiment that I have to take utmost care about all the steps.

Good effort mate, though this could be been written down in a showoff thread as well.
I agree with the Sorcerer here on the message although not with his tone. Reviews are generally a bit more in-depth. This is rather short no?

No harm done in any case, I hope there are more review from your end, much more in depth so that people can make informed choices.

I am with Sorcerer here....Where is the effort...

A review is meant to give detailed information about the product so that others can make a wise decision about the product.

^^ Though you have always written reviews like this it doesn't mean people will ignore it all the time.

PlayStation 3 Slim (120 GB) Review Pictures

Hi all, thanks for your constructive comments. I have updated the review fully. Pictures are attached with this post.

Picture Key
>PS3 Console and DualShock 3 Wireless Controller
>Console GUI Showing PlayStation Network tab and below it Motorstorm: Pacific Rift main menu

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 224
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 262
You said that 120GB space is for Games saves and other settings.
So can we use this space to store songs/movies ? Or do we have to get them working through CDs/DVDs only?

harsh88007 said:
You said that 120GB space is for Games saves and other settings.
So can we use this space to store songs/movies ? Or do we have to get them working through CDs/DVDs only?
Yes, the hard disk can store songs/movies/pictures. You can play them through your pen drive/portable drive/cd/dvd/blu-ray disc also. But yes, you can save and run them from the console's hard disk too. I have inputted this detail in the review now.

avvs_2099 said:
The Sorcerer, that was unnecessary. i have always written my reviews like this. This is not a MIT sponsored lab experiment that I have to take utmost care about all the steps.
Not a bad attempt, lacks in the content but this effort didn't add any value to this product and the potential buyer...that's not fair in these days! And, please stop referring to MIT when you don't know enough about it. Thank you.

linux said:
Not a bad attempt, lacks in the content but this effort didn't add any value to this product and the potential buyer...that's not fair in these days! And, please stop referring to MIT when you don't know enough about it. Thank you.

thats not fair man, the comments to the sorcerer have all been sorted out. my review doesn't lack in content anymore. the earlier negative comments were when my review was half in size of what it is today and it didn't have any pictures like it has today. plz read the review fully before making any comments. apparently, you read the earlier negative comments and commented on the basis of that. i have put in whatever experiences i had with the product.

@avvs_2009, Please please do some formatting on the content. It's impossible to read with no formatting. The review looks like a chunk of text.

put some space between paragraphs and please please insert some images.

avvs_2099 said:
thats not fair man, the comments to the sorcerer have all been sorted out. my review doesn't lack in content anymore. the earlier negative comments were when my review was half in size of what it is today and it didn't have any pictures like it has today. plz read the review fully before making any comments. apparently, you read the earlier negative comments and commented on the basis of that. i have put in whatever experiences i had with the product.

All it takes is to go one level up in the hierarchy and look at the other reviews which have been posted in this very same section.

A review is meant to be an in-depth analysis that keeps you engrossed and teaches you about a product. While your effort in putting together whatever you have is commendable, that does not however mean that you could have done wayy better.

Please try to take the criticism offered here in the correct sense and learn from it.

PS - What is it with folks and throwing around MITs name like this these days? TE has its own standards for reviews and that is exactly what you will be judged against.

This looks more like a description rather than a review but still makes a good read.

Although you could make it more readable to the eyes by using some more fomatting and paragraphs and all.

But anyway, cheers for the effort!

Nice review mate, would have been good if you had added few pictures in between the review words.

I have few questions:
1. Does PS3 support playing mkv format video files?
2. For cooling solution, will it be good if we use the laptop coolers under the PS3 (not kidding, asking about it seriously), have anyone of you people tried this one?

Back