PlayStation 3: The Only Choice For Hardcore Gamers

xXx

Skilled
Call me whatever you want. Ardently make your case for one of the other platforms. Challenge the definition of "hardcore." I really don't care at this point; I've come to the conclusion that if you're a hardcore gamer, you have no choice but to own a PlayStation 3.

Why? Because I don't associate "hardcore" with time spent, skill or genre. You don't have to play a certain number of hours per week, you don't have to practice endlessly to become the best of the best, and you don't have to play only the deepest RPGs or the most competitive games online. No, in my eyes, the only requirement for the label "hardcore" is you have to love games. You don't stick to any one genre; you simply want to play the best games available, and although we all have our preferences, the quality of our entertainment is all that matters. Brand loyalty is pointless, hostility and massive superiority complexes don't mean anything, and at the end of the day, the hardcore gamer just wants to have fun. He wants the best. Therefore, is it even a question? If we want the best in most every genre, and we want the absolute elite, can we not have a PS3?

Platforming? Not much out there is better than the esteemed Ratchet and Clank franchise. You can be into shooters all you want but they're all sort of blending together these days, and the only games that really stand out seem to be Killzone 2 and - soon - Killzone 3. In terms of open-world action/adventure games, I dare say both inFamous and (next year) inFamous 2 are better than the likes of Crackdown (and GTA and RDR are multiplats, of course). Action...nothing tops God of War III. Nothing. Action/adventure isn't really a question; Uncharted 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4 have that category all sealed up (as good as Gears of War really is). Sports and racing is usually all about multiplats but I think we're all expecting Gran Turismo 5 to outstrip Forza 3 in just about every possible way. And lastly, I ardently believe the PSN has by far the best selection of exclusive downloadables, including Flower, echochrome, Wipeout HD, Joe Danger, Shatter and others.

Yes, if you're "hardcore," you should probably own all three systems. But if you could only have one, I can't imagine any scenario where the 360, Wii or PC is the ideal system for all genres. RPGs remain the only undecided, as most are multiplats and I personally prefer Lost Odyssey to the lacking JRPGs exclusive to the PS3. And of course, it can always be argued that Live is somehow still better than the PSN, but the differences at this point are mostly minimal, and PlayStation Plus makes Live look a good deal less attractive, in my opinion. Even beyond genres, do we get anything like Heavy Rain on any other platform? And in terms of continuing to push the envelope; continuing to excel; continuing to provide gamers with new and improved forms of interactive entertainment, we all know the PS3 has the most potential remaining in the box. That's the way things are.

And by the way, I left 3D and Move/Kinect out of this because I don't have all of that directly in front of me, and I preferred to focus on the games alone for this particular piece.
Source: PlayStation 3: The Only Choice For Hardcore Gamers - PS3 News

Awesome article there....and completely agree to Ben Dutka's view....
and its not about Fanboyism, it's about enjoying the game's without caring about your score or achievements or trophies. (Ofcourse! second playthrough warrant's that ;) )

^that's coz every editorial is considered as Flamebait these days and you are considerably type casted before even going through the last line of article ;)

He seems to have written the article only after a thrill ride. Whether it was a game or a movie or some freak car ride after dope, only he can tell but his game choice all seem to be giving sense of thrill rather than bring the fun factor.

True that ps3 has got probably the most impressive line up of games but to say that 'Hardcore' gamers should own PS3 as a must for their redemption is not a very bright statement.

I considered all my options and then decided against a ps3 and went for the ps2 only for the games it has to offer for good 'fun'.

The recent ports of so called Classics : from PS2 to PS3 justified the decision.

The new line of Classics suggests the demand forced ps3 guys to port the games and this article hasnt taken that into consideration.

If you consider hardcore gamers to be the ones who thrive on thrill based games.. well sure the article holds some water but to be stereotyping gamers like that and calling those games to bring in 'FUN' is plain stupid.

hardcore gamers:following gaming in general and playing them regularly

if you like Nintendo games and follow games and play them regularly,then you are a hardcore

Lawl at these douchebags who write such articles just to attract attention. They knw writing such articles would trigger a Fanboy war on their site thereby increasing the traffic. The scum!!

No offense to you xXx bty. I am not bashing the Aritcle or anything since everyone is entitled to his/her own view but these tactics are quite old now dont u think so :p

apextwin146 said:
Lawl at these douchebags who write such articles just to attract attention. They knw writing such articles would trigger a Fanboy war on their site thereby increasing the traffic. The scum!!
yeah almost all sites these days just keep writing such articles and posting wrong news to get hits

What are you trying to get out of any such acceptance..?

The whole purpose of the article is clearly generating traffic on the site which prolly has happened.

PS2 has the widest collection of games and that has been the most successful console. So what will that prove now ?

Spacescreamer said:
PS2 has the widest collection of games and that has been the most successful console. So what will that prove now ?
I read somewhere that the nintendo DS is gonna overtake it within 3 months or so... but even then the most successful home console will remain the PS2

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Spacescreamer said:
I read somewhere that the nintendo DS is gonna overtake it within 3 months or so... but even then the most successful home console will remain the PS2

Spacescreamer said:
What are you trying to get out of any such acceptance..?

The whole purpose of the article is clearly generating traffic on the site which prolly has happened.

but hardcores would have already played the PS2 games

Aman27deep said:

NINTENDO DS is going to take alot more than 3 months.

DS is currently near 130million and PS2 is around 145m.

it will only do it next year and remember that Nintendo 3DS is coming so it might cut sales and PS2 will keep selling

xXx said:
But still wont u ppl agree that PS3 has wider genre of games ???
It does but still it needs a developed online service such as live or steam cuz thats what most hardcore gamers need. Need more people playing online, take a look at killzone 2.

^agreed...coz...Playstation users maybe never cared about online play during PS2 days...now the scenario has changed and SONY is doing all it can to improve the software.

*remember SONY is the Hardware co. here and the improvement they have shown on software part is amazing, though they lacks on XMB part, like trophy syncing n slow ingame XMB.*

b/w if u take a look @ Warhawk / MAG....u will see the vast difference in Online Play....its fun...

karooo said:
It does but still it needs a developed online service such as live or steam cuz thats what most hardcore gamers need. Need more people playing online, take a look at killzone 2.
agree that they need to improve but online has nothing to do with being hardcore gamers

alot of hardcore gamers don't even care about online play

brickhouse said:
agree that they need to improve but online has nothing to do with being hardcore gamers

alot of hardcore gamers don't even care about online play
+1 ... doesnt matters if u play online or not ... many friends of mine dont have net at their place ... but they game like crazy :bleh:

By the definition and description given by the author in his initial few lines, a hardcore gamer will have PC and multiple consoles for gaming and even if it has to be only one platform, then it would have been more appropriate to say PC: The only choice for hardcore gamers. PC is the only platform where you have almost all genres of gaming covered properly and you don't have to worry about suitability of controller either as you have a multitude of choice.

Reading through the article, I see it as nothing more than a Fanboyish rant.

^still current situation / trend is not favoring PC a lot....still many games do not provide support for Controller like Mass Effect 1/2, MW 1/2 :mad:

Speaking of controller support.How is GTA4 playability on the ps3?

I absolutely hated having to use the mouse and keyboard for GTA4,I won't work properly even with the 360 controller.

xXx said:
^still current situation / trend is not favoring PC a lot....still many games do not provide support for Controller like Mass Effect 1/2, MW 1/2 :mad:

May be because those games are best enjoyed with a keyboard and mouse. You could also use Xpadder to configure your controller.

Back