Pleae suggest a USB Modem for BSNL 3G, UP (East)

Zinc

Adept
Guys I need a USB Modem for BSNL 3G and my location is near Lucknow ie UP (East).

After going through TE and many other forums, I'm pretty confused as to which one to go for.
In my city I'm getting Idea E1550 3.6mbps (which is actually manufactured by Huawei) and Huawei T-Mobile :)P) 610 7.2mbps modems.
And I can also buy online.

I found people having problems with BSNL 3G and different Huawei modems, issues with firmware updates, so I'm very confused.

Can someone using BSNL 3G on USB modems in UP(E) help me out here?

I saw UMG1831 selling like hot cakes online.
Will it be compatible with BSNL in my region?

Other suggestions are also welcome!

TIA

You can take huawei E1550 3.6Mbps@1.5k or huawei umg1831@3k on ebay depending on the kind of speeds supported by bsnl 3G in your area.

RS4 said:
You can take huawei E1550 3.6Mbps@1.5k or huawei umg1831@3k on ebay depending on the kind of speeds supported by bsnl 3G in your area.
Thanks for replying!

But ain't there some firmware problems with UMG1831 when using with BSNL 3G?

kestrel5915 said:
Thanks for replying!

But ain't there some firmware problems with UMG1831 when using with BSNL 3G?
I am using UMG1831 and its working fine,some people have faced problems(not restricted to bsnl 3G) as they tried to update to the latest firmware. I am on firmware version 11.826.03.01.420

RS4 said:
I am using UMG1831 and its working fine,some people have faced problems(not restricted to bsnl 3G) as they tried to update to the latest firmware. I am on firmware version 11.826.03.01.420

Ok, thanks for the info!

What download speeds do you normally get?

kestrel5915 said:
Ok, thanks for the info!

What download speeds do you normally get?
It depends on the speeds supported by the nearest tower,distance between you and tower and the numbers of users on the tower, i get speeds ranging from 1-6Mbps.i think even 3.6/7.2Mbps modems are enough for our usage as many users are reporting capped speeds or slow speeds due to network congestion.Even a 3.6 Mbps modem gives you 400KB/s downloads if there is no congestion.

RS4 said:
It depends on the speeds supported by the nearest tower,distance between you and tower and the numbers of users on the tower, i get speeds ranging from 1-6Mbps.i think even 3.6/7.2Mbps modems are enough for our usage as many users are reporting capped speeds or slow speeds due to network congestion.Even a 3.6 Mbps modem gives you 400KB/s downloads if there is no congestion.

Alright, thanks for your help!

I think I'll buy the UMG1831 and will not update it.

But can it be reverted if its updated by mistake?

kestrel5915 said:
Alright, thanks for your help!

I think I'll buy the UMG1831 and will not update it.
It would be best if you can ask the seller about the firmware version before buying UMG1831.

kestrel5915 said:
i dont know about that as i havent tried any firmware update, you can contact fellow member Dushie for that,he was searching for a downgrade option for his UMG1831.

hA1d3R said:
DL is locked at 512kbps in Lucknow ...i can barely get 20-30kbps on -81db

Oh, thats very sad :(

BTW what combination are you using for internet?

Anyway, I'll be using it more in Kolkata than in Lucknow, so does it matter if I buy the sim from Lucknow or Kolkata.

I mean, is there anything like roaming charges like those in EVDO?

afaik there is no roaming charges for now..you can check nasa market for modem . dont know which models are available now . it keeps on changing very fast

hA1d3R said:
afaik there is no roaming charges for now..you can check nasa market for modem . dont know which models are available now . it keeps on changing very fast

Ok thanks!

BTW I have already ordered the UMG1831 from ebay.

Hope to get it on 21st March.

Got the UMG1831 today!

Setup took less than 5 minutes but since I'm remotely located near Lucknow, so the speeds suck on a BSNL sim (only 15KBps for downloads).

I'll be moving soon to Kolkata for a few months and hope to get better connection and speed there.

Should I use the default T-Mobile WebConnect Manager or some other software?

Any suggestions to improve the usage and speeds are welcome!

Alright, now getting speeds like 1.4mbps :hap2:
But still the ping test results are extremely poor :(

1218779503.png

dipen01 said:
Which rate plan are you on..?

I just need it for fast surfing when I'm constantly on the move so I use the Rs275-500mb plan.

I don't use it when at home.

Anyway, there are no unlimited plans so I don't use it for downloads.

Back